“Dog heaven for an excellent value!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa Pacifica Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 36 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Riverside, California
“Dog heaven for an excellent value!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am a repeat customer at Casa Pacifica, and I feel that the description the owner posted on her website is very accurate--don't look for chocolates on your pillow, but this is a great value, especially if you have a dog. I think that if first-time travelers could be notified as to where to check in (you have to go through a courtyard and then knock on a sliding glass patio door on the left), people would be better satisfied. A sign would suffice. This was not a problem for us, since we knew the drill, but I can see how it might have skewed some of the previous reviews.

The value was exceptional for Santa Fe at Christmas time, and we got a night free in a large suite because of a repair issue. The room we transferred to was quite charming, and it even had a steam room capacity in the shower. Although housekeeping is not provided unless you request it, the owner's daughter Emily was so sweet and helpful with all of our needs. The gas fireplaces provide a beautiful ambiance. Oh yeah, and the breakfasts are absolutely outstanding for a B&B--they are quite healthy and just the right portion size. I would recommend this B&B very highly to those who do not expect to be waited on hand and foot but do expect premium value, and to those with dogs.

One note to the innkeeper: the towels uniformly smell like mildew, and this could be remedied very easily with some bleach. I think it would improve the experience for guests. But the overall experience was outstanding...a must-stay.

Room Tip: If you like luxury, stay in the Original Living Room Suite. If you like value, stay in Tola's F...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Eldersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here during an anniversary weekend for two nights (Saturday and Sunday night) and had breakfast on Sunday but left early on Monday to catch our plane. When we arrived on Saturday, there was no one to greet us. We had no idea where to go as there was no sign to indicate where we should check in or even where to find the owner. There was another couple who were guests and they found the proprietor for us. It turns out the current proprietor is Emily, Linda's daughter and I believe they are currently transitioning ownership. Emily was very nice, took us to our room (front garden room) which is located behind a wooden gate.

The room was pleasant, just enough for a couple of days: table with 2 chairs, kitchenette, a bed, bathroom, closet and bookshelf. Off the bat I noticed 2 things: the duvet didn't have a cover for some odd reason and had visible stains on it and the bathroom had glass doors with lacy curtains that did NOT provide privacy since the toilet was perfectly visible from the bed. As we used the room, a few other things came to light: the sink was kind of high and the water splashed everywhere it seemed; the shower had 2 shower heads but only one worked and it was not attached well to the wall; the TV remote didn't work to turn on the TV and wi-fi was accessible on our laptop but not on our iPhones. There was also a gas fireplace but we couldn't get it to light and just left it alone. The noises from the room next to our bathroom were very audible. We were provided with 2 keys and one of them worked in the lock.

The kitchenette was stocked with knives, utensils, plates, glasses and mugs. It was nice to be able to grab some food from Whole Foods and just eat a light lunch in the room.

We didn't spend any time in what I think was the common space, it was not that welcoming and looked like it needed some TLC. The breakfast was served kind of late: 8am to 9:30. It was served in a space that had a few tables in what I believe was the living room. The breakfast was good: fruit was fresh, french toast was yummy and coffee was very good. There were also 2 other couples that provided some conversation and entertainment.

I tried to call Sunday evening to let them know we would not be able to eat breakfast there Monday morning but we couldn't find anyone and so I left a message on their answering machine. We found Emily on Monday at 7:30am getting the breakfast ready and were able to check out. She is very pleasant and soft-spoken. We had breakfast somewhere else on Monday and I'll write a review of that fabulous place!

Suggestions to the proprietors to make it more pleasant and user friendly:
1. Clearly indicate where the entrance is and what the common areas are. I mentioned to my husband that all "accessible" areas could be painted the same color
2. Be visible.
3. Have a small binder that explains the inner-workings of the bed and breakfast: meal times, wi-fi, TV use, channels, how to check-out. Maybe even a cell number. It's all well and good to say "Just let me know if you need anything" when you can't find anyone!
4. Use covers on the duvets...I'll leave it at that.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank traveltime2426
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had a great stay at Casa Pacifica. Linda, the proprietor, is delightful and serves a great breakfast. She even accommodated my husband's onion allergy and came up with a tasty option for him. Our room was quirky (the toilet was in the shower) but met our needs and our dogs were welcomed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne J
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have stayed at many B&B's abroad as well as a wonderful B&B in Durango, Colorado. I was disappointed in my experience in Casa Pacifica where I stayed for 5 nights recently. I am used to a much more friendly experience by the owners of B&B's and as I was on my own in Santa Fe, Linda's lack of engagement was not what I have been used to. But she did let me use her cell phone on a few occasions and this I appreciated as I did not travel with one. However, Linda knew no more about me when I left that when I first arrived. Because I am very independent, I had no trouble finding my way around Santa Fe and making the most of my time there but Linda had no idea of the free shuttle service to see all the sights or other excursions options. The location was about a 20 minute walk to the main Plaza and because it is close to the Railyard district, the location was quite good. Breakfast was always well presented and adequate but no juice was made available which I am used to. However, Linda does not serve breakfasts on Tuesdays or Fridays which is not usual and the price of the room is still the same for those nights. Linda is a smoker and I could smell the cigarette smoke on the dark stairwell going to the Upper Room West where I stayed. Also, Upper Room West is rather a dark room with not a lot of natural light. You have to climb onto the jacuzzi tub surround to open the blinds.

There is no reception area so when you arrive you have to find your way to Linda's private suite and call out through her doorway blinds to get her attention. Then you end up smelling the strong odor of cigarettes.

The most disappointing aspect of staying at Casa Pacifica was that my room was not made up at all during my 5 night stay. There was no housekeeping and I have never experienced this for a stay of several nights. It is not very welcoming to come back to your room after a long day of sightseeing and not have a tidy, clean room to greet you. The is not a bargain priced B&B so this lack of service does not make for a place that I would stay at again or recommend to my friends. While in Santa Fe, I learned of a much nicer, better priced B&B closer to the Plaza with a very warm, friendly atmosphere and this is where I will stay the next time I am in Santa Fe. Sorry Linda but I cannot recommend your B&B to others.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the smell of cigarettes, the lack of housekeeping and the lack of breakfasts o...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nada J
Apache Junction
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This was the most disappointing Bed & Breakfast experience my husband and I have ever had. When we arrived there was no indication of where to go to register. After wandering around in the courtyard for a few minutes a dog started barking and the owners daughter came out and got the keys and took us to our room. The room, although definitely showing its age and wear, wasn't bad except for the tiniest bathroom I've ever seen. These issues were minor but just the start of a very bad experience. At breakfast the next morning we were served fruit plates as a starter and there was a moldy rasberry on my plate. I let it slide because I didn't want to make a big issue of it. Then when the rest of breakfast came out we received some french toast which was okay and with it ONE sausage patty about the size of a half dollar that was as hard as a hockey puck. We went out for the day and came back around 4 pm and found that our room had not been made up. When I called the owner, LInda, and told her this I was informed that they don't clean the rooms everyday, but only when the guests leave. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!! By time we left there were dirty towels pile sky high in the room and we had to make our own bed!!!! When you are paying $500 for a three night stay you expect some service!!! The next morning for breakfast we were served omlets with burnt (and I mean black) toast. When I turned one of the pieces over to see if it was burnt on both sides I found that it wasn't, but 1/3 of The piece fo bread was COVERED WITH MOLD!!!!!!!!! When I showed it to Linda she looked embarrassed and mouthed a very brief apology and then disappeared and never came back to the table. If we had not prepaid we would have left.The next norning we checked out and went somewhere else for breakfast. There were other incidents, like Linda complaining about the cost of having to fill the tank in the gas grill that we were supposed to have available to us because it was going to cost her so much money. Totally unproffessional!!! Stay away from this one!!! It's not Worth it!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Donna S
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Our stay at Casa Pacifica was wonderful! We arrived late and Linda prepared everything for us so we just had to walk in to our room. The room itself was clean, cozy, and beautifully decorated. We stayed in the Old World Suite and it felt like home. The bed was very comfortable, the space was large, and it had the most amazing shower! The breakfasts were delicious and she accommodated our vegetarian diet easily. It was within easy walking distance to the Plaza. It is in the middle of the city so some traffic noise is to be expected, but it didn't detract from our stay at all. We slept with our private patio doors open and enjoyed the night air and bird song in the morning. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The day we flew to Santa Fe, our morning flight got cancelled and we couldn't get in until very late at night. I called Linda, and she kindly arranged to leave the doors open and the lights on so we could find our room. We had reserved the Corner Suite, but to our surprise and amazement, Linda also gave us the adjoining Original Living Room Suite free of charge! The rooms were beautiful with comfortable beds and lots of hot water. We had our own private patio, but the common patio was very pleasant and we enjoyed meeting the other guests. Breakfasts were excellent, with artful fruit plates. I liked the location because it was convenient to supermarkets and all the highways, and it was probably a little quieter than a place right next to the Plaza would have been. We enjoyed Linda's two dogs, Cici and Sophie. If you leave your door open to cool off, Sophie will come right in. Linda was very helpful and always made sure we had everything we needed. We will definitely choose Casa Pacifica if we come back to Santa Fe.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family