“Great little local joint”
Review of Pantry Restaurant

Pantry Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 558 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern, Diner
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Pantry Restaurant has been a Santa Fe landmark since 1948. We offer a unique take on a diner, where the cuisine of Northern New Mexico meets traditional American food. We have been serving quality fresh from scratch comfort food for over sixty years. You will be pleased with our fast and friendly service while enjoying the best chile in Santa Fe. As a family owned business we pride ourselves on serving the freshest and most quality ingredients to all of our guests and we promise to treat you like part of the family.
“Great little local joint”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

It is a tiny place so when we got there on a Saturday morning there was a line around the building. However, we only had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated. Great atmosphere on the inside - it's like a little diner. Service was great - a little slow but that didn't really bother us as we knew they were slammed and we had plenty to pass the time between the artwork and checking out other people's dishes. The sausage is phenomenal and the breakfast burrito with the chorizo was amazing! For the price you pay, you get just the right portion and the flavors are delicious. Definitely well worth the wait and the price.

Michael S, Owner at Pantry Restaurant, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thanks for the fantastic review! I'm happy to hear you thought your breakfast was worth the wait. I'm even happier to hear you thought everything was flavorful, and that it came at just the right price! I'm not sure how often you're in Santa Fe but we'd love to welcome you back the next time you're in town for even more of what's on the menu.

Until next time,

Beaverton, Oregon
“We ate here 7 times on our vacation...”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

...so I think we come write an authoritative review. We stayed at the El Rey Inn, only about 100 yards away and it was so convenient we really didn't need or want to go anywhere else to eat.
Service is spectacular.
Food ranges from good to very good. You can get New Mexican specialties, or traditional. American favorites. Prices are reasonable.
Atmosphere is comfy and family-oriented. I think it is owned by a family.
You might have to wait at breakfast times on the weekends.

1 Thank MadrugadaMistral
Michael S, Owner at Pantry Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Being the authority after eating with us seven times in one trip? We'd sure say so! I'm so glad you enjoyed your meals with us and that you consistently had great service to match a good plate of food. I appreciate you taking the time to tell others about us here on TripAdvisor, and can't wait to welcome you back the next time you're in the area. In the meantime, we wish you only the best!

Many thanks,
Midland, Texas
“Green not red!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The restaurant is over 60 years old, so you know they are doing something right. We went for lunch. I had steak and enchiladas. The steak was very tender and the enchiladas were flavorful. I asked which sauce was milder red or green. Our waiter said red was the mildest. so I ordered red. My husband ordered a chile reno plate and got green, After comparing green was definitely milder. The flavor was wonderful, but if you are sensitive to spices, order with an egg over easy, the egg will neutralize some of the heat. Save room for desert and order a cinnamon roll, ONE for the table! They are monstrous but wonderfully delicious.

Visited July 2014
Michael S, Owner at Pantry Restaurant, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I'm so glad you think all this practice had paid off, and that we were able to use it to give you and your husband a delicious meal. I'm thrilled you loved your Steak Enchiladas and that you thought our chiles were flavorful without being overpowering. I really appreciate you taking the time to review us, and to make recommendations to potential customers -- it's very helpful!

If there's anything we could have done to give you a 5-star meal, please don't hesitate to reach out. The only reason we've been around this long is because of feedback from people like you and if you ever have any, we're all ears!

Thanks for the great review,
Powder Springs, Georgia
“Excellent choice...”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Found Pantry Restaurant on Trip Advisor. Restaurant was near our motel. We ate there 4 times week of 7-7. Twice for breakfast and twice for dinner. The food and staff are excellent. Would recommend to anyone.

Visited July 2014
Michael S, Owner at Pantry Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your meals with us and that everything from the food to the service was consistently great, Donna. I appreciate you taking the time to recommend us to others and I hope I'll have the chance to welcome you back for even more the next time you're in Santa Fe!

All the best,
Woodbine, Maryland
“"New Mexican", not "Mexican"”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This family-diner style restaurant is simply a jewel.

We went for breakfast, and returned for lunch - it is THAT great. New Mexican cuisine, is known for its chile sauces (red or green), both of these at the Pantry were the best we found in the area. They are mellow and flavorful without being uncomfortable in their heat level. The New Mexican dishes are distinctive, not Tex-Mex, not Mexican. Cilantro and lime do not seem to be used. This place is a wonderful choice to experience the best that the region has to offer. The service was warm and friendly. Here are some suggestions, if trying for the first time:

1.) Go early or at off-peak times to avoid a wait.
2.) Breakfast: Huevos Rancheros, Christmas - 2 eggs, your style, encased in soft flour tortillas and covered in chile (Christmas=1/2 green & 1/2 red), accompanied by pinto beans and a side of fried potatoes cooked in sweet red chiles.
3.) Lunch or dinner: Pantry burger-1/2 lb char grilled burger and pintos wrapped in a soft flour tortilla and covered in green chile with a bit of melted cheese. Carne Adovada-stewed bits of pork in a smoky red chile gravy served with rice and pintos. This was our introduction to Adovada and after trying it at several other places, we agreed it was prepared best at the Pantry.

2 Thank MommaMyers
Michael S, Owner at Pantry Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Coming in for breakfast and returning for lunch? That's the ultimate compliment right there! I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed the chile and that it hit all the right spicy notes without being too overpowering. I'm particularly happy to hear you loved the Huevos Rancheros, and that you thought our Carne Adovada was some of the best you tried in Santa Fe. I'm not sure how often you come out here but we hope to welcome you back the next time you're in town!

Stay well,