“Davis is a charmer and worth stopping to have a chat with”

Davis Mather Folk Art Gallery
Ranked #10 of 217 Shopping in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Folk and Unusual arts from Mexico and New Mexico. Owned for 40 years in the same family!
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I needed to rest and Davis invited me to sit down and have a glass of water. He gave me an apple from his garden and shared some of his observations of life and culture with me. I didn't have many days in Sante Fe but after Davis had told me about the International Folk Art Museum I just had to make time to visit. It was so worth seeing, the Girard' s are wonderful people to have shared their treasures with the world. I hope you had a wonderful holiday Davis, I wish I had bought more of those beautiful little cat angels. Te one I bought made it to NZ scathed.

All reviews
"homes"
"expert"
"stories"

Reviewed 8 October 2012

I go to Santa Fe all the time from New York to visit family in town, and I ALWAYS make sure I stop by this little shop. The owner is friendly and inquisitive, and the tiny space is full of delightful objects (many from Mexico) at all prices. If you're looking for day of the dead scenes (skeleton mariachi bands, wedding scenes, the dead on motorbikes), this is the place! There are also magnificent colorful snake sculptures--you really need to see the selection to grasp how wonderful a place this is, and the prices are right for any budget. Enjoy! My one caution would be to keep small children playing outside--these items are fragile and could be hurt, too, by sticky little fingers.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

This gallery is amazing! Located just off the plaza, have a lot of treasures and folk art delights: crazy animals of every stripe, spot, size, and expression, full nativity scenes etc…It's a perfect way to get excited for the folk art, and the owner is always fun and can give to everybody suggestions and explanation about items inside the gallery. Everyone should see this place! Thanks Davis and Christine!

1  Thank mt8765
Reviewed 6 September 2012

always a pleasure visiting the Folk Art Gallery...22 Paul Lutonsky snakes and a few other critters later we always visit Davis when we drive up to Santa Fe...highly recommend a peek at all the treasures!