“Fabulous folk and Hispanic art” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Davis Mather Folk Art Gallery

Davis Mather Folk Art Gallery
Ranked #46 of 260 things to do in Santa Fe
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous folk and Hispanic art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

It is like a candy shop. Filled to the brim with colorful carved and ceramic animals & characters The owner , Davis Mather, is historically knowledgeable as well as personable. A must see!

1 Thank Doksona

Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Mather Folk Art Tour of Oaxaca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

My husband and I just returned from Oaxaca where we went with Davis and Christine Mathers for their Day of the Dead Folk Art Tour. I highly recommend it! The week combined visits to archeological sights, beautiful churches, cemeteries decorated for Day of the Dead, and visits to homes of folk artists in villages around Oaxaca. We stayed at Casa Panchita, a comfortable and welcoming home away from home which serves gourmet Oaxacan food. I've always wanted to experience the Day of the Dead in Mexico. Oaxaca is certainly the place to be for this holiday and traveling with the Mathers who are very knowledgable about the region was definitely the way to go!

Visited October 2012
Tamaki Makarau-Aotearoa
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Davis is a charmer and worth stopping to have a chat with”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I needed to rest and Davis invited me to sit down and have a glass of water. He gave me an apple from his garden and shared some of his observations of life and culture with me. I didn't have many days in Sante Fe but after Davis had told me about the International Folk Art Museum I just had to make time to visit. It was so worth seeing, the Girard' s are wonderful people to have shared their treasures with the world. I hope you had a wonderful holiday Davis, I wish I had bought more of those beautiful little cat angels. Te one I bought made it to NZ scathed.

Visited September 2012
New England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A true Santa Fe Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I go to Santa Fe all the time from New York to visit family in town, and I ALWAYS make sure I stop by this little shop. The owner is friendly and inquisitive, and the tiny space is full of delightful objects (many from Mexico) at all prices. If you're looking for day of the dead scenes (skeleton mariachi bands, wedding scenes, the dead on motorbikes), this is the place! There are also magnificent colorful snake sculptures--you really need to see the selection to grasp how wonderful a place this is, and the prices are right for any budget. Enjoy! My one caution would be to keep small children playing outside--these items are fragile and could be hurt, too, by sticky little fingers.

Visited August 2012
USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Place!!! Great owners!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

This gallery is amazing! Located just off the plaza, have a lot of treasures and folk art delights: crazy animals of every stripe, spot, size, and expression, full nativity scenes etc…It's a perfect way to get excited for the folk art, and the owner is always fun and can give to everybody suggestions and explanation about items inside the gallery. Everyone should see this place! Thanks Davis and Christine!

Visited July 2012