“Great snakes and wonderful chickens!”

Davis Mather Folk Art Gallery
Ranked #15 of 202 Shopping in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Folk and Unusual arts from Mexico and New Mexico. Owned for 40 years in the same family!
USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great snakes and wonderful chickens!”
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Over the years I've purchased about twelve Lutonsky snakes, six or seven chickens, one crow and a Ron Rodriquez bear from Davis Mather. I'm hooked on the place. Mather has a great eye for folk art and I think he really cares about the artists he represents.

2 Thank Tim_Baja

San Antonio, TX
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“We never miss a visit.”
Reviewed 27 November 2009

Davis Mather's gallery/shop is always on our list of things to do and places to visit when we go to Santa Fe. Davis is a hoot - always friendly and ready to share a story or listen to your own story. We havebeen collecting the folk art from Davis's gallery for years now. The real trick is getting my husband out of the store with just one new acquisition.

1 Thank JudySanAntonio_TX
Milford, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Great Little Shop”
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Davis Mather Folk Art Gallery is a little gem a of a store in Santa Fe. It's chock full of colorful handmade items, displayed floor to ceiling. With all the shapes, colors and textures, it's an amusement park for the eyes. Davis is a super-nice guy (he has a sense of humor and a wit that he easily shares) and his prices are reasonable. I couldn't leave without buying something. I'm so glad to have stumbled upon the shop.

1 Thank sheeppainter
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Outstanding Folk Art Gallery”
Reviewed 24 August 2009

My wife and loved visiting the Davis Mather Folk Art Gallery in Santa Fe. Great pieces to choose from, very authentic and nicely displayed. The owner was helpful and well informed about the origin and stories behind all of the folk pieces. We were particularly impressed with the rooster art works from a Navajo artist in Arizona. The gallery offered an excellent opportunity to learn and appreciate native American and Mexican art work. We highly recommend taking a leisurely stroll down to the Davis Mather Folk Art Gallery, just off the Plaza on Lincoln Avenue.

1 Thank HalCarl
Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Funky little folk art shop”
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Super fun and fabulous shop, always a must stop when I visit Santa Fe. This little gallery is full of the best folk art I have seen anywhere in the U.S. Davis and his wife Christine have a wonderful eye and sense of taste when it comes to choosing pieces for their shop. I highly recommend visiting the gallery for anyone who loves folk art or just enjoys a fun and funky atmosphere.

2 Thank SmittenMitten