“Loved it!!! We will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alexander's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Alexander's Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jackson, New Hampshire
“Loved it!!! We will be back!”
Reviewed 20 April 2011

My cousin recommended that we stay here - it was even better than he described!!!!!

We arrived in Santa Fe at about 1:00PM and checked in at Madeline Inn, where we had reserved a casita a few blocks away. Great location!! It was only a few blocks walk to the Plaza. We saw lots of cars being ticketed, so it was nice to be able to leave the car behind and walk everyplace.

The Inn is adorable and the staff very friendly. When we arrived, a staff member, gave us a tour of the spa and breakfast room (since the casita wouldn’t be available for 15 minutes or so). We snacked on peanuts and M&M’s and homemade cookies (large jars always out for guests).

There are books with menus of all the local restaurants. Their website also has a fantastic itinerary that you should read even if you choose not to stay here.

We found the casita easily. It is quaint. There is a good size bathroom and a small kitchen and sitting area with TV and fireplace on the first floor. The upstairs bedroom was large and had a very comfy king size bed. The casita was exactly as pictured on the website. This was great for us as we didn't have to go to bed at the same time, one of us could stay up and read while the other slept. We had hoped to cook a few meals, but there were so many fabulous restaurants that we instead choose to eat out.

Breakfast is included - it was a few blocks walk back to the inn - a nice walk and the food so worth it!! Day #1 - we had yogurt/fruit/granola and very yummy blue corn waffles. Day # 2- another fabulous breakfast, the special was Roasted Poblano Chiles with Quinoa and Chipotle Cream Sauce. Yummy!! I noticed that the recipes are on their website - I have made day #2's breakfast twice since we have been home.

We missed afternoon happy hour as we were either hiking or shopping but we heard from the other guests at breakfast that it was really great - you bring your own wine, the inn provides an appetizer and you get to meet other travelers.

We had massages in the couples room at the Nirvana Spa (which is part of the Inn). My massage was one of the best, if not the best I ever had in my life (even better than Canyon Ranch and we have been there 7 times).

One night we returned to the hotel to take showers and found that we had no towels. We didn't want to wait for them to be delivered, so I used a robe and John used a small hand towel. When we returned from dinner there was a nice note and bath towels left by the owner of the Madeline/Alexander Inn, Caroline Lee, apologizing that she wasn’t able to get the towels to us before dinner.

A few minutes later, she knocked on the door (it was still early, we went to dinner at 5PM) and handed us a gift of candles. She profusely apologized for the earlier mix up with the towels. After she left, we headed off to bed. To our horror, we found our bath towels from earlier that day hanging in the bedroom. I felt so bad!!! I did email when I got home to let them know so that the housekeeper wasn’t blamed. Caroline sent a very nice email in return.

My husband had a bit of altitude sickness while we were there - we didn't mention this to Caroline until our last evening - she indicated that she had something that he could have taken and next time we should let them know.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank adnil1962

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edmond, Ok
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Situated on a dirt road off Palace Ave., Alexander Inn is a quite oasis away from the bustle of the city, yet within a few blocks walking distance from the vibrant plaza. It sits in a large back yard of a home on Palace Ave. We have stayed there the past two years and look forward to returning. Cooper, our very large dog, is always welcome as well. He has the backyard to romp in . The casita is well stocked with all the amenities you need as well as modern conveniences like TV and wi-fi. However, my favorite part is sitting on the porch entwined with grape vines, cold drink in hand, reading a good book and enjoying the cool, clean air of Santa Fe. I would recomment Alexander Inn to anyone who wants an authentic southwest stay in my favorite place on the earth.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lesasis
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Ideal location, charming Santa Fe decor, clean, comfortable, friendly service - what more could anyone want?

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Roscoe, IL
Reviewed 31 July 2010

great lodging in the Juniper room. comfortable and lots of room for my husband and I to relax. tricky driving up dirt road but we got used to that. had trouble connecting with the internet so felt isolated from work- with all those pluses and minuses! nice to have a place to bring in meals so we didn't have to eat out all the time, but lots of great restaurants to chose. folder in room gives lots of helpful suggestions for tours and restaurants. went to santa fe opera which is an amazing experience. also nearby hiking to make us less guitly over the great restaurants!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I was having second thoughts about spending over the budget on our cottage in Santa Fe-- it took me ten second upon arriving to decide we had done the right thing. I have never been so comfortable. Every last detail was taken care of for us. The living room couch was soft leather draped with a Scottish, wool throw-- the kiva off to the side to warm one after a bath-- yea, I was swaddled in a cuddly bath robe. The kitchen was stocked with tea and coffee-- a lovely basket had a bottle of wine, snacks and fruit for our stay. The location was perfect--an enjoyable stroll to the plaza. If you are looking for a small, private cottage in Santa Fe--rent "The Cottage"-- you will not be sorry.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happy41770
Hershey, Pa.
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Recently stayed in the Casita, part of Alexanders Inn. It was quite cozy and the location was great. You can walk to the plaza, to dinner and Canyon Road.
I have stayed at Hacienda Nicholas before and wanted to try another of Caroline's Inns.It was just as nice. We had a lovely fire at night, a complimentary bottle of wine, frig, stove top and a comfortable king bed. The southwestern decor is what we were looking for. I would stay there again. The staff is always at your service.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Central Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 October 2009

This was my third trip to Santa Fe and first trip for my adult Daughter. I wanted to stay close to the downtown but wanted to have the luxury of space that a hotel couldn't offer. I read some reviews on the Madeline/Alexander Inn and was intrigued. Both my Daughter and I were DELIGHTED when we drove into the small courtyard and even more delighted when we opened the door and began to explore the Pinon unit. It's roomy, comfortable, very pretty and immaculate! The beds, two kingsize, were very comfortable and the down comfortors and pillows were wonderful. The bathroom was bright and clean and the towels were thick and abundant...the robes were great, too! It was nice to have a kitchen - we shopped for breakfast and snacks but ate most of our meals out...still, the kitchen was extremely clean and neat with all the conveniences I was accustomed to at home...to include plentiful coffee beans! It would be easy to prepare meals in this kitchen and there is plenty of room at the kitchen table or at the larger table in the front room to enjoy a meal for several people. The welcome basket was a nice touch. We won't hesitate to stay here again...staff was welcoming and polite and the staff responsible for cleaning was polite, non-intrusive and did an excellent job. The description of the location is accurate...up a steep dirt one-lane road...navigating it for the first time was a bit intimidating, but after that there were no issues. The location, however, is close to the downtown and just off of Paseo Peralta, which makes it extremely easy to navigate to where ever you want to go in the city or surrounding area. We enjoyed the deck in the evening before we left for dinner and would stand outside on the deck in the morning drinking our morning coffee. Unfortunatley, there was no time to enjoy the Nirvana Spa...there's only so much you can cram into 5 days. You can be sure we will remedy that on our next trip. We are looking forward to our next visit to Santa Fe and we hope the Alexander will have "...room at the Inn" for us.

• Stayed October 2009