Bottom Line Up Front: Despite some minor housekeeping glitches, the Don Gaspar Inn has enough pluses to make your stay in Santa Fe memorable.
Just 20 minutes before the front desk closed for the evening, I arrived solo at the Don Gaspar Inn, was checked in and taken to the Fountain casita which I booked for 4 nights. I noticed right away that the DVD player I wanted to use for in-room movies on quiet evenings was non-existant. Later, I saw there were no toiletries in the bathroom and not one single clock in the entire, otherwise-nicely-furnished room with full kitchen! Luckily, I had my own toiletries and my smart phone, and all of these issues were promptly resolved the next day. Must have been a glitch in the usual smooth operations (also found a bag of trash forgotten on my porch one evening) of this highly-recommended inn, that most travelers are sure to love.
Pros: unbelieveably quiet, convenient neighborhood location; top-notch, accommodating staff (Ana, Christine, Patrick); plentiful and tasty breakfasts; comfortable furnishings (great sheets and thirsty towels); CLEAN rooms; off-street parking; pleasant garden surroundings; pre-visit mailing of 'Inside Santa Fe' had me at "hello." Impressive.
Cons: pedestal sinks, though charming, leave little room for vanity supplies; limited DVD library; dim lightbulbs throughout room, made it tough to read; don't forget the need for a clock somewhere in the room; even just one updated magazine travel guide in the room would be appreciated -- the SF Visitors' guide in mine was 5 years old, so many of the restaurants and shops had closed or changed. [Somewhat offset by pre-visit 'Inside SF' mailing. ]
Despite the few negatives, I must say that Ana deserves recognition as an enthusiastic hostess, even after all these years! She is clearly a pro, and handles the needs of her guests with aplomb. And the sheer charm of the place should make repeat guests out of even particular travelers like me! I hope to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Culinaria Don Gaspar (formerly Don Gaspar Inn) is one of the finest Santa Fe Plaza hotels. Casa Culinaria Don Gaspar is an intimate property, focused on truly welcoming guests to a beautiful place. Great care has been taken to create a setting honoring the history and beauty of the property and its location. Our location is prized, a quiet sanctuary just a short walk to historic downtown Santa Fe. In minutes you’ll find the famous Santa Fe Plaza. Our Santa Fe hotel features 3 distinct architectural styles, exquisite gardens, and private patios. Let us help you choose the perfect room/style just for you! Casa Culinaria Don Gaspar has a long tradition of providing luxury accommodations with unparalleled service. Our rooms are spacious and designed for comfort. Most have a private entrance, overlooking beautiful garden patios. Start your day with a delightful breakfast of New Mexican favorites and traditional entrees. After a day of soaking up the Santa Fe sunshine and culture, relax in the peaceful courtyard and gardens. We are in the process of enhancing some of our rooms. For up to date room information please call us at 888.986.8664. Local phone 505.986.8664. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Casa Culinaria Don Gaspar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Don Gaspar Hotel Santa Fe
- Casa Culinaria Don Gaspar Santa Fe, New Mexico