“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 36 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Chesapeake Bay
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2006

This B&B is more like a small inn. Neither the owning couple nor the staff actually live there and noone is present after 8:30pm.
El Paradero is ideally situated within easy walking distance of downtown and several restaurants in Guadeloupe area. The price is competitive.
We stayed there two nights and didn't meet the owners until after breakfast on the day we left and it was never clear who among the employees present was in charge at any one time.
The negatives were:
Our bed was extremely hard, so much so that we did not sleep well. We mentioned this to the owners when we checked out and they said they were considering adding foam pads in the next few months.
The breakfast room is not large enough to accommodate all guests, you may have to wait, as we did, for some to leave before you can eat.. The actual breakfast was not special by B&B standards.
Because of the thick walls, the WIFI is only available in the public rooms but there are no desks available. The best solution is to wait until after breakfast and use the dining room tables. However, these are not cleaned right away and the numerous staff has their breakfast there talking loudly..
Noise from the kitchen is prevalent in the dining room which is distracting.
There are many B&Bs in Santa Fe. Should we visit again, we would probably try to find another one where the owners were more involved in the day to day management. All these problems are fixable.

• Liked — Proximity to downtown
  • Disliked — Absentee management
  • Tips/Secrets — Find out if the bed has been improved
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Wine_enthusiast
El_Paradero, Owner at El Paradero Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 23 October 2006
We're sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We take our guests' happiness very seriously, and I think the number of glowing reviews here on TripAdvisor prove that.

Without being argumentative, I did want to contest a couple of points of this unhappy guest's review.
- She comments on the "absentee owners", but the fact is that the owners (my wife and I) are here 6 days a week. Even the one day we are off, my wife's mother works at the inn, so there is a representative from the owning family at El Paradero 7 days a week. As we are "young" (mid 30s) for innkeepers, people sometimes don't realize that we are the owners, and we don't wear nametags declaring us as such!
- We normally have plenty of seating for breakfast, although in cold/inclimate weather we can't use our beautiful courtyard, so have fewer tables. In this situation, if everyone comes at once, we can't sit everyone simultaneously. In this rare circumstance, our guests usually do not mind waiting a few minutes for a table.
- We have excellent mattresses. The reality is that people like different types of mattresses, and the same mattress the guest said was too hard has been declared by other guests "as the best mattress they've slept on in their lives" (no exaggeration). It is very rare that someone is not comfortable in our beds. If the guest had told us earlier in their stay about their discomfort, we could have added a pillowtop pad, but learning only at checkout from them prevented us from solving the problem and making their stay with us more pleasant.

While we take all constructive criticism to heart and always try to improve what we offer, I felt the need to contest a couple of facts from that review that I felt weren't accurate. Additionally, I noticed that this reviewer posted 39 reviews of different hotels on the same date (Oct 21), so must question how accurate her recall is for individual properties in that large group of reviews.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Gouda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2006

Last September I stayed for 4 nights at this B&B. It's a rather large B&B, so it feels more like a guesthouse.
The location, within walking distance of the Plaza and many fine restaurants, is just great.
My room had a very pretty (New Mexican) decor. The breakfast also is excellent.
There's no TV or internet in the rooms, which is good for a quiet retreat of a few days.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WHS_Traveller
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2006

I stay at El Paradero every summer while attending the Santa Fe Opera. It is quite comfortable -- home like. My favorite room is #7 -- even with a bathroom across the hall. It is a real bargain and very nice. All of the rooms are decorated in a wonderful Santa Fe style. The breakfasts are great. The food both at breakfast and tea time is fantastic. And the company of other guests who often have seen an opera the previous night provides for great conversations. I always make my reservation for the next year during my stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — difficulty in getting reservations during Indian Market
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
5 Thank operatraveler
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2006

I have traveled to Santa Fe almost every summer for the past 7 years, and started staying at the El Paradero at the recommendation of friends. Now I can't think of staying anywhere else. Matt and Jennifer and the whole El Paradero staff are so gracious and helpful, the atmosphere so relaxed and welcoming, the location so accommodating, and the breakfasts and afternoon teas so fabulous, that I feel sorry for those people who don't know about this place. The El Paradero captures the charm of Santa Fe and contributes mightily to my desire to return year after year. Of course, by sharing this good review, I realize we will just have to book that much earlier for next year!

Victoria
St. Peter, Minnesota

• Liked — the friendliness of the owners and staff
  • Disliked — liked everything about it
  • Tips/Secrets — We like the room with the private bath across the hall because you then have two sinks, one in the room and one in the bathroom. We never ran into anyone in the hallway when we scooted across to use our bathroom. Very private and secure.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
5 Thank Leblebe
Atlanta, Ga.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2006

El Paradero B & B Inn is a wonderful place to stay at a reasonable price. Within easy walking distance of the Plaza, El Paradero has strong points noted by other reviewers: friendly and helpful staff, comfortable and unique rooms, on-site parking, no TV in rooms (a real plus---and if you have to have it, you may go to the living room in the main building), and best of all, a real breakfast and afternoon treats that on a busy day may become dinner. On this trip I stayed at one B & B which served all guests breakfast at one time and also at El Paradero. El Paradero won the direct comparison with no competition! With a morning paper, coffee or tea, fruit, and sometimes baked goods available early, one can start the morning in a leisurely fashion OR eat quickly and begin the day early. The breakfast entrees were amazing: French toast and turkey sausage, lighter-than-air pancakes, a breakfast quiche--all absolutely delicious. Afternoon treats always included chips and salsa plus a selection of freshly baked goods; the bread pudding is some of the best I've ever tasted. The opportunity to linger over coffee or afternoon tea and share stories and tips with other guests is an added bonus. El Paradero is perfectly designed for mingling and chatting if that is what you want or for retreating to the delightful southwestern decor of your individually decorated room. In addition, they give a AAA discount on some rooms; be sure to ask when making your reservations. I recommend El Paradero highly and appreciate the helpful communication with the owner.

• Liked — Breakfast and tea + location
  • Tips/Secrets — Be sure to go to the state capital building to see the art collection.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
11 Thank AdvicefromAtlanta
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2006

We chose El Paradero B&B for our three day gathering for the following reasons--could walk to most places we were interested in. Court yard for breakfast & family gatherings. And most of all the cost! The staff was most accommodating. I would stay there again. I have told several friends about El Paradero . I am happy to recommend this B&B. --Lakewood,CO

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2006

I chose El Paradero for my first trip alone; it looked friendly and safe -- and it was! It was that and much, much more. Each morning I ate a full, leisurely breakfast in a sunny room or on the patio with intelligent, well educated and well traveled other guests. We exchanged information about sights to see and experiences. In the afternoon, many of us came back for tea time together, where we again exchanged news of our days. The tea offerings included chips and salsa, cookies, puddings, cakes, fresh-fruit cobblers -- ohmygosh, it was great. The staff often offered suggestions for little-known experiences and good restaurants, as well terrific service.

This was the perfect place for the solo female traveling alone for the first time. There were always friendly and helpful staff or guests around, the inn was locked and safe later in the evening, and the location was terrific. I took my car out once during my 5-day stay in Santa Fe. I walked everywhere -- to the plaza, to Canyon Road galaries, and to the shuttle bus to Museum Hill. I could have taken a shuttle to the Opera -- DO NOT miss the opera in Santa Fe, WOW! -- but chose to drive the 10 minutes instead. This is the perfect inn in the perfect location in a perfectly different city.

Stayed June 2006