“wow best place to eat...”
Review of Sazon

Sazon
Reserve with OpenTable
Sazon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 608 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$35 - US$60
Description: Housed in an iconic old adobe building in the center of Santa Fe, Sazon gives its patrons a taste of what the authentic Mexico, with its fastest growing ethnic cuisine in terms of popularity, is all about. The artwork is stunning. Starting with a massive chandelier in the main hallway, custom made in Guadalajara and featuring over 16 different lamps, to the furniture and artwork, it is obvious that special attention has been given to the interior decoration. The oil on canvass paintings are beautiful, featuring artists from Mexico City, Guadalajara and Cabo, Mexico. The dining room is warm and inviting with lots of space so you don't feel crowded, but also plenty of romantic and private spots where one can be wrapped in their own cocoon. There is a back room that is part of the dining room but can also be sectioned off for private parties. Lighting has been well thought out and highlights the art without being intrusive. The bar is stunning exhibiting a great sensitivity to the Santa Fe adobe style yet bringing its own clean and refreshed look. The bar, made from recycled parapara wood from Ecuador, houses the largest selection of tequila and mescal in Santa Fe. Bartenders know their craft as evidenced by the signature cocktails featuring tequila and mescal which are subtle and seductive. Try a Sazonrita which is Mezcal, Patron Citronge, fresh lime, agave, and muddled cucumber over ice. It will make a believer out of you when it comes to mescal!
Reviewed 16 September 2018

this place is amazing. .. .as soon as you enter you know you are in for a treat. The food and ambiance are amazing. The chef Fernando Olea came by to our table and that was a treat.. . . .you have to eat here!

2  Thank Carlos L

Reviewed 13 September 2018

We were very excited about having dinner at Sazon, as we had heard a lot of great things about it. We were totally underwhelmed with our experience there. We started out with a $28 flight of tequila and mezcal. After tasting the shots, we found that we didn't like straight shots and asked if they could make two of the shots into margaritas. The margaritas were very good, but they charged us full price for both the tequila flight AND for each of our drinks, even though they used the tequila and mezcal that we had already purchased in the flight. That didn't seem like the right thing to do. The different moles are fabulous, but they rely on the mole alone to carry the entree. My pork loin was literally a piece of barely seasoned, grilled pork laying on some mole, and my husband's duck was the same way. Any artistry was in the mole, but nothing interesting in the way the protein was prepared at all. Also, my pork was raw in the middle, and when the chef came over to check on it, he proceeded to lecture me that trichanosis was no longer a problem in pork, and I shouldn't be worried about it. The inside was not rare, but raw. I know the difference. The service was horrendous. I can't remember the last time we just sat at a table between courses, waiting and waiting and waiting. Since it was our anniversary, our server brought us a complementary dessert which was nice, and asked us how we liked the jalapeno ice cream. When we replied that we didn't really care for it because it was very strong for a dessert, we were lectured on why it actually was good and how the flavors came together in our mouths one after the other. Obviously, I guess she wasn't actually interested in getting a truthful answer. I am sorry to leave a negative review because we were really looking forward to eating at Sazon, but we would very disappointed.

3  Thank Susie M
Reviewed 12 September 2018

From the moment we stepped into Sazon my husband and I knew we had made the perfect choice. The beautiful decor and colorful paintings enhance the whole experience. The trained wait staff are a real credit to chef Olea and his general manager. The attention to detail ensures a trip to Sazon will score five stars.

2  Thank Vacation266136
Reviewed 11 September 2018

Sazon was a truly remarkable dining experience. We celebrated our anniversary here and the staff made sure every detail was perfect, down to the hand written note from the Chef. Wait staff not only guided us through our selections for the evening but went out of the way to ensure the wine was the appropriate paring. This goes beyond 5 Stars and should be 3 Stars for Michelin, and command 30 Zagat Points!

2  Thank jtq2017
Reviewed 8 September 2018

This restaurant exceeds five stars! Living in San Francisco, I’ve always felt fortunate to have outstanding restaurants. In my opinion, Saxon is as good or better than The French Laundry in Yountville or Gary Danko’s in San Francisco. After eating at Sazon the first night in Santa Fe, I knew I had to experience it again. Fortunately I was able to get in for my last Santa Fe meal before returning home. Chef Olea is exquisite. His six different moles are outstanding. His expertise blending flavors and textures is unlike anything I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. From the small plates to share, to incredible entrees, to deserts that you will never find anywhere else, it is a culinary heaven. Chef Olea is an artist. He is so personable, and seems to contact each and every diner to insure that everything is perfect. His perfection is exemplified in his staff, lead by his manager, Francisco, who has trained each employee to provide amazing service. Each staff person is knowledgeable about every dish on the menu, and they work so well as a team, it’s like a well choreographed performance. The only thing that would be better is if I could only convince Chef Olea and Francisco to open a restaurant in San Francisco...

5  Thank 194debrae