“Nott he best sushi, but they aren't claiming that”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Maki Yaki

Maki Yaki
Ranked #387 of 555 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Sushi
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Nott he best sushi, but they aren't claiming that”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is fast, affordable sushi. Plenty fresh, well prepared, they are what they are. Delivery available through a service.

Visited March 2012

San Antonio, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Instituional Grub”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Was disappointed in everything we ordered. The location was handy but the counter clerk was snippy and could have been nicer.

Visited August 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Fast food - but good”
Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

It's a fast food chines food rest. The fried sushi is soo good. Ok anything fried from there is good. :) We only get the apps.

Dallas, Texas
“Decent Japanese Rolls”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We stayed at a hotel in the same plaza as this place. We found a review of this place and went over for dinner one day. We had 7 rolls. The prices range from $8-$11 or $12 for the roll and you get 8 pieces each except this one roll which we didn't get.

The restaurant is like a fast food joint. You walk in and order at the cash register. They bring your food to you but it's not a fancy place. I'm originally from California and came to Santa Fe to ski from Dallas so I wasn't expecting Asian food in Santa Fe. This restaurant happened to be right in the same plaza where we were staying and we found it got good reviews. The rolls are decent and the portions are good. We did get complimentary miso soup which was a bit salty.

Our favorite roll was the shrimp crunch roll. There was only one worker there and she was very friendly. I think there was a cook in the back. Overall, it was a good experience.

• Visited March 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Not great, but located near I25 & St. Francis.”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I only chose Maki Yaki because I was working in Santa Fe for one day, and this place was within walking distance. I was expecting more of a Japanese feel than the diner type feel I got when I walked in. You order at the front counter rather than with a waitress. They have the typical selection of sushi rolls (Dragon roll, Cali roll, Tiger roll, etc). I opted for teh Bento Lunch special which consisted of teriyaki beef, steamed rice, tempura veggies, salad, and a Cali roll. After completing my order they offered Miso soup, which I assume was complimentary b/c I had already paid.

-Miso soup served before meal was a bit grainy. Had one sip and was done.

-Cali roll was not made with real crab, but instead they used "Krab". Was nice to see that it was not topped with Masago b/c I normally request no Masago but forgot to this time. Average size roll.

-Wasabi served with roll tasted like the kind you could buy at your local grocery...served from a tube.

-Salad had some kind of creamy orange colored dressing that was fairly bland.

-Tempura vegetables were decent enough.

-White rice was served warm, but nothing too special.

-Only offered Kikkoman Original Soy Sauce, no low sodium (green bottle) variety.

-Drinks are served in the red plastic glasses, and you actually have to pour yourself from the soda fountain.

All of the above statements dont make this a bad restaurant, but if you're looking for a full service type of place then this is not it.