“Charming hotel in a great, central location”

Inn of the Governors
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Calhoun County, AL
“Charming hotel in a great, central location”
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I stayed 4 nights at this hotel and it was in a great location, easy walking distance to important areas around the plaza in Santa Fe. It is very nicely decorated and landscaped inside and out in a southwestern style with fresh flowers in boxes around every floor. I didn't use the pool but it also was in a very pretty setting. The service at the hotel was excellent and attentive. The complimentary hot breakfast was tasty and plentiful. At night the restaurant is a major gathering place. They have a small but reasonably priced menu (chile cheese hamburger plate for $7.50)The only negatives were the extremely tight parking (I mean you have to really pay attention to how you park and large vehicles can cause real problems) and my room, though lovely, was a little small. For me by myself it was fine. I got a great rate from Priceline which made it all the better.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank RustyKimba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 17 July 2009

My adult daughter & I stayed only one night in this hotel as we drove from Los Angeles to Dallas. I had seen it on a previous visit to Santa Fe and thought it looked charming and very convenient to the historic area. The staff and property exceeded my expectations! The room (deluxe, 2 queen beds) was spacious w/ balcony, two sinks (one in the bath, one in wet bar area), and luxurious linens. We walked to area shops, museums, & restaurants and left the car parked on the property for our 24 hour visit to Santa Fe. We enjoyed the afternoon tea and sherry service and the full breakfast (both complimentary, as well as the parking). I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank HotSpringsNative
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Having spent a couple nights previously at the Inn of the Governors, my husband and I decided to spend our anniversary in Santa Fe again. We thought the rooms were very nice before. I booked a king room and expected the same type of room. We were given a handicap room that did not meet our expectations. The hotel itself is in a prime location near the plaza. Free parking and beautiful flower boxes outside each room were great. The staff is very friendly. The room we got, #123, was not up to par. If you are in need of such a room, then you would most likely be happy with the setup. The bathroom is closed off with by-fold doors which open wider than a regular door would. The shower is a walk in type with two shower heads. One that can be hand held. Unfortunately the handheld wand would not shut off so you were getting wet from two sides. Sounds nice unless you don't want to get your hair wet! Strangely we could not locate a place to put the soap. There was a plastic seat to move about in the shower and a few sturdy hand rails. The room was nicely appointed. The TV was a standard TV. For $200.00 a night I think they should be updating the TV's. The bed was uncomfortable to both of us. It seemed lower to the ground and harder and abit lumpy. We could feel the side metal rim. The bar is noisy during dinner time, but the food is not bad for price. The burger with fries and salmon rollup cost around $6.00 each. Plenty of food for both of us. The menu has not changed in years though. Time to update the menu. The breakfast buffet was very nice and included in the room price. Not sure why I wasn't told this was the only room available when I booked. We checked in early just so that would not be an issue. Actually, I never considered that getting a handicap room would be the issue. Maybe it was because of the 'economic relief rebate' they were offering. I don't know, but we were disappointed with the room. I would recommend the hotel but be certain which type of room you will be getting.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lksmi
Arizona
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Got this hotel through Hotwire on a smoking deal! The room was decorated in a lovely Southwestern theme and everything was just lovely. The personnel were all very helpful and friendly. The breakfast the next morning was great! Lots of hot food choices on real plates with real silverware! The location is right near the plaza area so walking to the local historic attractions is quick and easy. Didn't get to try the pool, but wanted to! Would definitely recommend.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dqlady
Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Hotel is located within walking distance - downtown. Very clean, quiet hotel with great rates. Excellent free breakfast. You have to have the cheeseburger and a margarita at the 'Saloon'. We are still dreaming about them! Very inexpensive, wonderful atmosphere restaurant. Must have a facial at Nirvana. You will never be the same!
Looking forward to visiting and doing it all over again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Idigdirt
Washington, DC
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We spent 3 nights at the Inn of the Governors. The rooms are small and dark but nicely appointed and the location right off the Plaza coupled with very reasonable rates makes it a perfect place to stay if you only need a place to sleep. The breakfast buffet is a good deal and the sherry and cookies at happy hour are also nice but there isn't much room to gather as other guests have pointed out. Our biggest complaint lies with the wait staff and manager of the Del Charro Bar which was unable to accommodate a party of 12 after the dinner rush hour. When we asked the waiter whether we could move tables together he became rude and surley, split the party up and ruined the night for our entire group - serving meals to two members of our party after the rest of us had finished eating. Our complaints to management fell on deaf ears and we were stuck with a 20% gratuity, to boot. On a following night the Del Charro Bar crowd was loud and rowdy and although they were still serving food in the patio, they couldn't accommodate our group for dessert at 9:00 p.m. since we had underage children. While management allowed us to use the lobby to gather for dessert, once again we encountered another rude waiter. The Inn of the Governors should pay more attention to their service team in the Del Charro Bar (exception - the breakfast staff could not be more pleasant or accommodating). If you are planning a get together of family and/or friends, you will find the accommodations restricting and the restaurant service below par.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank cgh1
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel in late June 2009 - and wow, what an experience. The hotel's location simply can't be beat - across from the roundhouse (Capitol Building), dead-center in the plaza, near the historic sites (easy to walk, within 2-4 blocks for most), and even easy access to the RailRunner from ABQ (if you don't bring a car). The ambiance: a very southwestern, rustic almost lodgelike feel to the whole place. When we arrived on a Friday night, you could tell the hotel is a popular choice, the lobby was "steady" busy, the restaurant was "booming" busy (I later found out locals and travelers alike frequent 'Del Charro'), and the parking lot was full - for me, this are usually the 'good' signs that this place is going to be worth it.

The hotel has a free business center - no passwords, etc. required. I didn't try the wireless, so not sure on that front, but the amenities in the room are nice, top quality (Gilchrest & Soames out of London). The decor is charming and up to date (very comfortable bed), and nice art work on the walls (very historic). We ate at Del Charro for dinner, prices were extremely reasonable (around $8-10 per entree, incredible for Santa Fe), and after venturing out around the plaza, ended up coming back to the bar/restaurant area around 1:00am and it was STILL busy! It sure was the place to be, and this was even a Friday night.

The staff are also very polite, but not "stuffy" - very casual professional in my opinion. I would highly recommend this hotel if your trip is specific to the plaza area, the historic arts district, or business at the capitol (or any other business travel). Its well worth it!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business