Americas Best Value Lamplighter Inn of Santa Fe
Ranked #38 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We usually stay here because it is very convenient. The rooms are clean and spacious and the beds are pretty good. The staff is nice. It is close to Cerillos road and easy to get to various places in town. Light was too bright coming in our window. The pool is pretty nice, if you luck out and can be there at a time that is minus screaming children. Over all, it is a great value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PurplePaloma

Reviewed 31 July 2011

The Lamplighter was OK, but not wonderful by any means. It’s 4-5 miles off of I-25, so the location’s not great for getting on/off the road quickly. The buildings were showing their age, but they seemed pretty well-maintained. Overall, I’m not sure why this motel comes up so high in the Tripadvisor ratings.

Upon arrival, I checked in at the front desk. Service was brisk but by no means friendly. I was told that the kitchenette room we’d reserved was located in the building across the street, which came as a surprise. This building was clearly not a part of the original motel, and there was that no way one could have guessed, from outward appearance, that it was a part of the motel now.

The room was good-sized and clean, with lots of storage space and plenty of decent towels. There were two queen beds as well as a sofa. (Not sure if that was a sleeper.) There was a very dated kitchenette, with metal cabinetry, a four-burner stove and an oven. The fridge was of a decent size, but there was a ton of frost on the freezer part, to the point that you couldn’t even open the door to it. The microwave was the tiniest I’ve ever seen, and quite underpowered. There was also a typical hotel-room coffee-maker.

We needed internet access, but the wi-fi was horribly slow. As an example of the speed, my iPad had 7 apps that needed updating; in the space of about two hours, it got less than halfway through those updates. Later on, at a McDonald’s, the update completed in a couple of minutes. So, if you are an avid internet user, this place probably isn’t for you.

The other issue I had with the kitchenette room was that it had paper-thin walls. (I have no idea what the rest of the motel rooms, off across the street, were like.) There was a caterwauling kid in the room next door; her parents had apparently not acquainted her with the term “inside voice.” Or even the simple command “stop shouting.” But even if she had used her inside voice, I think we’d have heard every word.

In the morning, I checked out the breakfast room. It was quite a jaunt, as I had to cross the street and then negotiate a surprisingly complicated maze. It was well sign-posted, but I wish I’d dropped breadcrumbs, as the route back was, naturally, not sign-posted. (In my defense, I couldn’t drop breadcrumbs on the way there, having not yet found the breakfast room.) Anyway, there was a reasonably good selection of food (weird thin bagels, English muffins, mini-muffins, hot and cold cereal, coffee, juices, and some fresh fruit), but not much in the way of protein, apart from cream cheese.

There was a rec room with a ping-pong table, a PC with an Ethernet connection, and an elliptical exercise machine. There was also an “indoor” pool (I say “indoor” because it was in a structure that resembled a greenhouse more than a building). We did not happen to use it. (Didn't even find it until the next morning, since we were over in the Weirdsville building across the street.)

Note: I did like that they provided a recycling bin in the room; this was the only motel I’ve stayed in that had one.

4  Thank Yobabs
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is an older motel with some connecting rooms.We are small people but the room had hardly any room around the bed.Bed only had 2 super small pillows.got more from the front desk.Luckily we were gone most days.The small fridge & small coffee pot were most appreciated.The breakfast was adequate but the very same every day we were there..I did enjoy the pool.Currently the road is under construction to the south.This is a main road,many choices of hotels on it.
For what we paid I guess we can't complain.Don't really understand the glowing reviews unless they had different rooms.There is a grocery store to the north & a Walmart to the south.Loved the Sante Fe farmers market on Sat. morning

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sunflowergals
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed here for my daughter's graduation present. We live in Las Vegas, NV and visit Santa Fe at least once a year. We have 5 people in our family and have a hard time finding somewhere reasonable that can accomodate all of us. We booked on-line a suite with a small kitchenette. It had 2 rooms and 4 Beds ! Yeah !! The property is beautiful and has a pool and game room. The front desk clerk was very nice and everything was clean.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank marastravels
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Stayed here based on the positive reviews. What a nice place, Rooms were clean, pool area was really nice, and the free breakfast was about the best I've had at a hotel. Would definitley stay here again.

7  Thank Marty6080
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Very friendly & well-informed receptionist who kew which was the best restaurant and micro-brew - 'The Brewery Company' !

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank tonyeff
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Let me begin by saying that the young hotel clerk, A.J., could be a hotel/restaurant manager at a resort. He was extremely polite, patient, and professional and went out of his way to direct us to places around the city – by map. Even our children noticed how exceptional he was.

I read many, many reviews before choosing this Lamplighter motel. Even then, I was still nervous when we checked in. (Reviews were at both extremes.)

I was very happy with our choice. The pool and pool area were both VERY clean and the water perfect. Our kids swam in it for hours each day.

Since the room we were to have had was beneath rooms that were being renovated, the desk clerk recommended we take a “kitchenette” room. This room was across the (small) street from the hotel, behind a restaurant, and I had serious reservations about being “off site”, behind a restaurant. (I’m a skeptic of clerks giving me the “this would be even better” spiel.) But, as it turned out, it was fine, safe, and perfect for our family. It had two nice/comfy beds, a dining table, small kitchen area, and hide-a-bed sofa. It was also nice because it had a “vanity” table attached to the bathroom and both were set off from the hotel room. It made it much easier for me to get up an hour earlier, without waking children and give them an extra hour of sleep. Our room was across the street, but still a very short walk to the pool. Several people mentioned being in the “courtyard”, which was pretty, but our room seemed more quiet being away from people visiting outdoors.

The room, appliances, and all the dishes were very clean. My only criticism would be that there were two layers of vinyl flooring that could have been tacked down at the kitchen edge, but that is a small aesthetics issue that most people might not care about.

The breakfast stood out as a really, really nice touch. They served a delicious kashi (hot breakfast cereal), juice, fresh fruit, oatmeal packets, cold milk (hard to find in a hotel/motel) herb tea, etc. The kitchen area is completely separate from the front desk, so you have feel as if you are “dining” in a restaurant, not hurrying in a hotel lobby. The adjacent bathrooms and “play room” (ping-pong table, treadmill, and computer) were VERY clean as well.

This hotel is a few miles to downtown, but I think it was nice that way. We would run to Target, Wal-mart and other grocery stores, and still hope over to downtown shops and museums.

I gave this motel four stars, because I know some will not be happy unless the room is "Comfort Inn" brand new - and this is not. Never-the-less, it is very clean, smells good and is well maintained.

Room Tip: Consider the