“Always good”

Ranked #29 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Grapevine, Texas
“Always good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

We have stayed here many times and have always found it very consistant. The staff is always friendly and helpful. The rooms are always comfortable and clean. The rooms are quite. It is a very good value for being within walking distance of the plaza.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Korean first
Keele, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed here for 8 nights while attending a conference at the Santa Fe convention centre. The hotel is very reasonable in price, and the room rate includes 'continental' breakfast (bagels, cereals, coffee, fruit juice, but nevertheless entirely adequate). The rooms are arranged motel-style, and are clean, comfortable and modern, with a good shower and comfortable bed, as well as effective air conditioning, which is very important! There is a swimming pool and exercise facilities.

The hotel is a 20 minute walk from downtown, and most days I walked there and back, but a shuttle bus runs every hour during the day. There is free WiFi throughout the hotel, and two computers and a printer in the reception area.

I reached the hotel by the Sandia Shuttle service from Albuquerque airport, which dropped me at the door.

I thoroughly recommend the Sage Inn for comfortable and convenient accommodation when visiting the very interesting city of Santa Fe.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rob J
, Director of Guest Services at Santa Fe Sage Inn, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Thank you so much for your great recommendation. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We will look forward to seeing you back at The Santa Fe Sage Inn in the future.
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

The best thing about this motel is that I get a great story to tell when I'm swapping "Bad Hotel Stay" stories with people.
1) I arrive at the motel to check in around 5pm on a Tuesday. There is only one guy working the front desk, and he is also answering the phone and taking reservation cancellations from people evidently far brighter than I. Oh, and taking care of another couple who came back because he gave them a room that hadn't been cleaned yet. Heh. So 20 minutes later (I do not exaggerate here), I finally get my room key.
2) We unpack our luggage and get everything upstairs. After a couple hours, we notice the room is still not cool. In fact, we're sweating. So I call the front desk and tell the guy who had checked me in that the AC isn't working. He tells me he'll send someone to see about it. Ten minutes later, a guy is knocking at my door. I see right off that he hasn't brought any tools with him, so that seems a little strange, but he proceeds to take the AC cover off and fiddle with the AC for about 5 minutes. Then he says something to the effect of it's fixed, puts the cover back on, and leaves. I give it another 15 minutes, but it still puts out some cool air for a bit, and then puts out warmish air. The room is stifling, the same as before. So I call the desk clerk again. He then proceeds to treat me like I've never seen an air conditioning unit before and explains how it's on a loop, and will cycle on and off. I explain to him that it may be cycling, but it is NOT cooling. So he says I can try out two other rooms "to see if the air conditioning is to your liking." I'm not sure why I need to look at TWO rooms. Are all the AC units in the same condition as this one? I ask Condescending Charlie (not desk clerk's real name). Because if they are, I'm going to have to find someplace else to stay. Well, we won't force you to stay here, he answers. I would have packed up that minute, except for the fact that I prepaid for the room through Travelocity and I figured it would be a headache to try to get my money back. (Last time I use Travelocity!) So we go look at one of the rooms he gave me the key to. Fortunately, the AC in this room was working fine, so we got all our luggage and moved to this one. I saw Condescending Charlie the next day and he still seemed convinced that there was nothing wrong with the AC in my original room. He goes, "That room faces west. Probably why it took a while to cool down." Maybe they have bought AC units that never break down. Maybe the AC salesman promised them that. I don't know but for some reason Condescending Charlie sure didn't think there could be anything wrong with that room's AC. Most clerks would have just moved me to another room, and maybe even apologized for the inconvenience, but not Charlie. Ironically, our second room's AC, almost freezingly cold, developed a loud vibration every time it cycled on starting the second night, but I was sick of dealing with Condescending Charlie and just put up with it for the rest of our stay.
3) On our last day in Santa Fe, we got back to the motel around 7pm, and found the door pulled to, but not closed. The room had been cleaned after we left and then the housekeeper left without completely closing the door. It was obvious to anyone who walked by that the door was unlocked. Luckily, nothing was missing from the room, but I was aghast that the housekeeper was so careless.

So there you are, my entry for worst motel/hotel stay of 2012.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
16 Thank D P
, Director of Guest Services at Santa Fe Sage Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Please let me start by apologizing for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. This is obviously a worst case scenario of everything that could have possibly gone wrong with your stay. I want you to know that the General Manager and I take these comments very seriously and we are addressing each one with the staff and departmental managers. I thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly in an effort to make up for your inconvenience. Please call me at 505-982-5952 if you would like to further discuss these issues.
College Station, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Great location, really liked the shuttle service to downtown, stayed for two days and did not have to drive once. Vehicle used as shuttle was too small, as people had to be left behind for a later trip. Hotel was completely full both nights we were there. Room was clean and staff was very friendly and helpful. Pool is small, but clean and felt good on a hot day. Breakfast choices were limited, but adequate and even though the hotel was busy, dining area was able to accomodate everyone.
Take advantage of the walking tour that is advertised, it definitely is worth it! Loved our guide, learned a lot about the city,and as serendipity would have it, the other tour members were a joy to take the tour with.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank aggiemom2006
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at the inn. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and Jerry Rightman's walking tour. We are so pleased to have this tour as part of our summer activities and it is a great opportunity for our guests to experience a true Santa Fe story. We will look forward to seeing you at The Santa Fe Sage Inn the next time you are in town.
Pacific Northwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

I have stayed at the Sage Inn three times over the last three years and have found that with each visit the quality has gone downhill. This last visit was the worst. My electronic key didn't work every day two to three times a day over the 5 days I was there. They didn't offer to change my room until my last night there. At one point the maintenance man let himself into my room without knocking. Luckily I was dressed! The people there are nice enough and the location is very good, but I am sadly disappointed in the direction this hotel is heading.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor since you can hear every step from those in rooms above you.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Sparky54
New Castle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

I agree with other travelers that this is a good location and better price than near the Plaza. This is your basic motel with a pool and continental breakfast. Staff was helpful and friendly and the only reason for my lower ratings is because the shower area needed updating and for some reason we were provided two nights with a shower mat towel, which I would use as a rag. The front desk cheerfully exchanged it for a better one. The shuttle to the Plaza is a great bonus, as was the proximity to the Railyard.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lulubird487
Vancouver Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed for a night while on a motorcycle trip. Cost was far less than hotels nearer The Plaza. And The Plaza is not very far down Cerrillos, not a terribly long walk, if you are a walker. Better still, the hotel runs a free shuttle to The Plaza on the hour. The shuttle picks you at 10 past the hour. Very good of them to provide this service.

Rooms were fine.

Best of all is the friendliness and helpfulness of the front desk people. Everyone using Macs and Ipads was having trouble connecting to the in-room WiFi. We all had no choice but to come to the lobby to connect. During my time in the lobby, I overheard complaint call after complaint call all being handled in a helpful, apologetic and professional manner. One particular fellow was hands-on with people's devices to help them get the settings right. He even was able to dictate some DOS commands for a caller to try. Who knows any DOS these days? I'd go back in a second.

Room Tip: Perhaps you might want to be away from the little pool area during the day and s all children are ar...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo