“Pleasently Surprised....”
Review of Santa Fe Sage Inn

Santa Fe Sage Inn
Ranked #30 of 62 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 27 January 2010

One day at work, I had gotten a proverbial "wild hair", and decided that I was going to take the family for a short vacation over the weekend. I had looked up several hotels in the Santa Fe area, and most if not all were out of our projected price-range for what I wanted to do. I DID, however, notice an ad for the Sage Inn in Santa Fe that had caught my eye. It was an internet offer, but the front desk was able to accomadate me over the phone and honored the price listed. To say that I was quite skeptical, at first, is an understatement. However, with the price that the hotel offered, I decided to "roll the dice" and take my chances.

To get to the hotel, there is a bit of traffic that one must fight. Most of the roads, or the major road in the Santa Fe area, are three lanes. While traffic might be dense at times, most of the drivers were actually somewhat courteous. This was a HUGE difference from what I am normally used to.

Once we arrived at the hotel, on the outside, it wasn't much to look at.... So far you may be asking, "Ok so when does the 'good review start?" We got the electronic keys to our room and found that while the room was a little small, it was more than accomadating. There were two queen sized beds, a tv, working a/c - heater, the bathrooms were clean, and you could even rent out a dorm-style fridge if you were going to be there for an extended amount of time.

The hotel does offer shuttle service to all points in the Santa Fe area; however, since we did not want to be "that family" that had to depend on someone else for a ride, we took our jeep to the city's municipal parking area. The fee was about $2.00 an hour for parking. Not too bad when you consider that we were able to come and go as we pleased. The hotel is situated about 6 blocks or so from the "heart of tourism" for the Santa Fe area. Since we traveled in January, it wasn't quite warm enough to be able to just go for a walk and enjoy the town. I am quite sure though that in the Spring and Fall it would make for a wonderful little excersion.

Now on a side note, nothing to do with the hotel itself, there are alot of little shops to enjoy. Be aware that when you enter, the staff will tell you that they can "cut you a deal", and chances are they can, but as we all know... when it comes time for a sale (most if not all) items tend to be marked up anyways. The businesses that you can dine at tend to be expensive... I won't mention any names, but there was one pizza place we went to that charged $20.00 for a plain, large, cheese pizza. In town they DO have a Wal-mart, but it is just a generic Wal-mart... Not a "Super Wal-mart." So when you enter youmay be looking for a deli, bakery, grocery store - you won't find it. The center doesn't have that luxury... You will be able to find electronics, clothes, and very basic food "staples" - Soooo if you are going to eat out, just know that it may run a little high in price.

All in all, for what it's worth, the hotel was a great deal and better than good. The surrounding area (attractions) were intresting. We had a decent time and would more than likely do it again.

Hope you found this informative and good/safe travels............

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank USArmy_Vet_AKA_Medic
Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed 22 January 2010

A friend and I stayed here while driving cross country in Nov 2009. I was skeptical when we first pulled up, but that went away as soon as we were being checked in. This place is awesome and it doesn't cost and arm & a leg.
The rooms are basic and not huge, but charmingly decorated and clean, with free internet. They offer a great free breakfast, and a free shuttle bus that will take you where you want to go. They also have a few computers in the lobby for guests to use.
The staff is outstanding, friendly, and will go the extra mile to help you and answer any questions you have.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank DH2770
Reviewed 18 January 2010

The Sage Inn is lovely. It's a little bit removed from the main part of town, but the staff are very friendly and helpful and the place is clean and comfy. A great bargain; great peace of mind.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank BeebeeBrooklyn
Reviewed 17 January 2010

My wife and I were very satisfied with Sage Inn at Santa Fe. We got a great ski package deal thru the Sage Inn and were a little worried about what to expect since we got such a great price; $199 for two nights PLUS two ALL day Santa Fe ski tickets!! We wanted to ski at least 3 days so we booked 3 ski packages thru Sage Inn during the Christmas week (you do have to pay in advance $102 non-refundable deposits for each 2 night/ski package). Well we were VERY pleased to say the least. The room we were in was clean but plain in style since the hotel buildings were probably built in the 80's... and they may of originally been apartments (but I could be wrong). Anyway, they seem to have their act together for an Inn with NO unpleasant surprises. Included with anyone's stay was a basic (continental breakfast) that was way more than you would get at most big chain hotels. Free parking and with laundry, ice, computer, etc. The location was a surprise too, it was about a mile from the town square and most important near a lot of good restaurants and that long road up the mountain to the ski resort. There's really not much to say about the place except that we really enjoyed the price (ski package) and NOT having any unpleasant surprises! Since we book 3 separate 2 night/ski packages (they couldn't combine them into a single 6 night stay reservation) they were suppose to (per the manager) print us out our charges after each 2 night stays (but we didn't know this)... when it came to check out the desk clerk didn't have our bill itemized (since we had those prior non-refundable deposits) like we would of hoped... but they did charge us correctly and the manager was very friendly and real helpful! This is my first review (as you can probably tell) I've ever written for a hotel or anything. We've done a lot of traveling (my wife and I), been to a lot of places, Cozumel, Cabo, Purerto Vallarta, Belize, several Royal Caribbean cruises plus a lot more and so I finally site down and write a review on this place. LOL. Oh, the skiing in Santa Fe is better than Taos, I skied there last year... over priced and crowded! Try Cowgirl BBQ they are well priced and it's not all BBQ.

Tim & Pennie P.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DallasBeachandskibum
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We visited Santa Fe for the Christmas week.Couldn't afford to stay downtown , but didn't want to drive there every time from the hotel & struggle with parking downtown. Found this hotel on tripadvisor, got a great deal using AAA, but still had doubts.
No doubts now. It's worth the price. It's walking distance to downtown( this mile is actually a bonus after a nice meal in a restaurant).It's a nice walk to Canyon Road Christmas Eve Walk.We never used their shuttle .
The rooms are clean,remodeled recently, I think.The only problem was the heating- it was sooo loud.But we just turned it on High before going to bed & then turn it off till the morning.Breakfast was nice, fruit, cereal, bagels, cream cheese, drinks
.Bought the tickets to O'Keeffe Museum-$4plus a poster at front desk( $8 at the museum).
Hotel provided with a list of recommended restaurants, esp the ones open on Christmas day( not so many).
We'll always stay there once in Santa Fe

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank lvlndtrvlr
Reviewed 3 January 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Santa Fe Sage Inn with our two dogs.

There is actually a small, secluded park next to the hotel where we could take the dogs to go potty.

We got a great discount because we stayed for 3 nights. For the low price we paid, the room was actually kind of nice! Very clean and pretty. Not very far from the historic plaza at all. I wouldn't consider it walking distance, but you could definitely walk to the plaza if you wanted to. It was a short 4 or 5 minute drive with traffic, but usually less than that.

The staff was so great. Since my boyfriend and I are college students, most places wouldn't try very hard to please us. However, the Santa Fe Sage Inn treated us with upmost respect and they were always so kind. Beautiful lobby too.

I would recommend this place to anybody visiting Santa Fe. Low rates, good location, great rooms, and wonderful staff! We are staying here the next time we visit!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jlillegr
Reviewed 3 January 2010

This hotel provides the service of 5-star hotel with just $75 per night. Excellent value.

The only negative is that breakfast room is a bit too small and crowded with guests.
But this also shows the popularity of the hotel in a way. I'll definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo