“If you want poor service and can sleep with barking dogs than...”

Eldorado Hotel & Spa
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed at the El Dorado hotel before a work event. The hotel is old and the rooms are dated. I didn't care about the poor decor, but combined with the poor service it was so disappointing. It didn't make it any better that they are super pet friendly and I had to listen to dogs barking all night. The kicker came when I left something VERY important right next to the sink and didn't remember until I got home. I called immediately but of course the house keeping staff had not turned it in. I KNOW I left it right by the sink, but the El Dorado hotel doesn't employ people that are consciousness enough to make sure guests get their left behind items back.
Overall the El Dorado is more of a motel with regards to service and the hotel is old and tired.

Stayed: January 2014
16  Thank NYC-ster
Jason B, Director of Rooms at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

I am very dismayed to see the comments on your review. We have never had issues in the past with guests leaving items at the hotel. I will keep a look out in case it turns up. Is there some other comments about poor service you would like to share? Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We enjoyed this hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Walking distance to some great restaurants. Hotel had a nice gym with a great view of downtown. We found a lot of great food in Santa Fe. The night we decided to eat in, we dined at the restaurant located in our hotel and enjoyed our meals. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Another satisfied guest. What a pleasure to have served you at the hotel. Is there anything else we could have done to make it 5 star?

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed a long weekend, and received excellent service. The volunteer concierges were especially helpful, and friendly. We felt very welcome, and definitely one of the most beautiful places we've stayed in NM. Our only tip, make sure you clearly understand the parking fee and high state & lodging taxes before you confirm a reservation.

Room Tip: Request a room with a kiva - we stayed on the 4th floor corner room.
1  Thank YEMartinez

So happy you enjoyed everything with your stay. It makes my day to see we can satisfy you on every level.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We have stayed at this luxury hotel several times and to be honest, it's been disappointing..
It's not terrible, but it could be so much more..
Everyone comes to Santa Fe for the "Santa Fe" experience. To walk around the square, to shop in some of the finest jewelry and art galleries that you can find anywhere, and eat the unique cuisine that is offered in many of the local restaurants. Add the day trips to the various pueblos, Taos or the turquoise trail, etc, and you have the Santa Fe experience.. But inside Eldorado, we just didn't feel it...
While the lobby is inviting and the renovations they did makes it feel like you can lounge there all day, SOMETHING is missing in this hotel..
It wasn't until we went for breakfast at another hotel we had previously stayed in, (Hotel La Fonda,) that I realized what it was.. El Dorado has missed the Santa Fe "feeling."
I realized that if you could pick up the Eldorado hotel and drop it down in Miami Beach or Chicago, you would "feel" the same ambience. The hallways on each floor could easily be the same ones I've walked down in The Miami Beach Convention Center, while at a show. Long and straight, nice clean carpet, "politically correct" prints on the walls, neutral industrial color blends for wall treatments. Unfortunately the rooms are not much more exciting, (although they are comfortable.) And while this may not be a big thing to many visitors to Santa Fe, the TV selections are very limited and seemed geared towards ESPN.. (Didn't know so many existed.)
Some of the positive things was that the chief in the restaurant has some way of preparing meat that we have never heard about in our lives. It sounded VERY interesting. We really wanted to try it, but never ended up eating there during our 5 night stay, as both my wife and son came down with the flu, (and only him and I eat meat.) But the hamburger that I ordered from room service has to rate as one of the best ever.
Don't eat their breakfast buffet, it's NOT worth the price, and probably the best thing, (a cook doing made to order omelets) had to be missed as there were at least 6 people ahead of us. To make matters worse, I picked up a yogurt and it was out of date by a couple days. Overall the food was not that tasty on the buffet. I must admit, the artwork on the walls, and the American Indian pottery that sat on a ledge, was exquisite..
While the hotel isn't far from the square, for the money we preferred La Fonda, or The Chimayo which we feel is as nice and MUCH closer. (WARNING, if you come from a sea level town, this city is in the mountains and over 7,000 ft. high, which (especially in the cold winter,) makes the walk to the plaza feel MUCH more laborious than it should be..
One more thing (and this is NOT the reason for this review.) The staff proved to be VERY good and VERY bad..
There was a New Year's party in the lobby that they were promoting. (IT was "Havana Night") We were told about this exciting Latin band, Turns out that the leader(?) who also played flute, was about 2 notes too high all night, and the music was Latin "background restaurant" music, (slow melodic and having a repetitious beat..) So that fact was off. We were also told that they were expecting over 1,000 people as they had 900 last year. Turns out that was ambitious as well, as there were probably 100 persons there.
Then there is the situation where I'm still waiting on a credit of $80 (for 4 days of parking in the hotel parking lot.) What happened was my son got so sick the first night, we decided that we were not going anywhere for the rest of the week, so we didn't need the car right under us in the underground parking lot.. So I turned my valet ticket in the next morning, and moved the car to the public parking lot next door that was less expensive.
I told the front desk when checking out and they promised to credit me; however up to now despite 2 e-mail communications to them, and two replies that they "were going to check into it", we checked out on the 3rd, it is the night of the 16th, and nothing..
On the positive side, because of the altitude of the town, we all got a bit of altitude sickness when we first arrived, and the hotel was kind enough to send up oxygen to breath for us to each breath for 15 minutes, and it did help. (Especially the headaches.)
And the security guy that brought it up and administered it, was a "good ambassador" for the city.
Also when we left, my wife inadvertently left a small 3 ft. artificial Christmas tree that was in her family for a LONG time. (She carried it for 3 weeks on the Christmas vacation drive from Miami to Tucson/Santa Fe) to remember her mother and grandmother. When she realized she left it, she called the hotel, and they did go and find it, called her back and mailed it to Miami.. (In fact it met us when we arrived!)
There is also a 70 something year old doorman who is REALLY nice, and very helpful. (He even did the bellman's job when they were backed up, and brought our luggage down AND stacked it in the car in a professional manner.
While we would probably stay there again (according to the deal and availability of other hotels in the Santa Fe plaza area, ) it won't be our first choice..
BUT.. The POSSIBILITIES are there...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank William L
Jason B, Director of Rooms at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

I am sorry to here about the less-than-perfect experiences, I’m concerned that we failed to deliver that special and memorable experience that we strive to produce. Notwithstanding your level of dissatisfaction, it was truly our pleasure to have served you. Thank you for recognizing the positive aspects of your stay and the people that contributed to that portion. Your credit has been posted on your account for parking.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We love the Eldorado Hotel, our first time staying, and hope to return! All of the hotel staff were friendly, helpful, and couldn't do enough to assist us. We drove from Denver with our two dogs and the Hotel welcomes your pets with open arms. They even have a board listing all the other pets currently staying at the hotel. We arrived early and didn't have to wait long. The front desk and Sean helped us get to our room shortly thereafter. What a gorgeous lobby and "back lobby/sitting area." The hotel has beautiful artwork all around the hotel and inside our room. Very easy to get around the hotel, location of the spa on 1st floor, quick access to front door, and fast elevators. We had lots of luggage and "doggie" baggage and our bellman, Saulo and Nikki, was able to fit everything on one cart (checking in and out). Speedy bellman. The Hotel and our suite were very clean, well appointed, lots of electrical outlets for all your gadgets, and spectacular views of the mountains. We frequent Santa Fe often and highly recommend this hotel, especially for people with pets. Grass is 3 blocks to the plaza (night) or 2 blocks to the park (day) for your dogs - so plan ahead for your walks. To some of the other reviews that complained about the parking fee - yes, the charge for parking your car is $25 per night; however, you get free Wi-Fi, protected/covered car, and a pool/fitness facility usage. We called for our car each time to leave the hotel to shop, and our car was ready when we walked out the door (fast, friendly service).

Room Tip: In winter, think twice about a fireplace because the winds kick up and you cannot have a fire on tho...
1  Thank NMLovers
Jason B, Director of Rooms at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Thank you for staying with us recently, and taking the time to let other people know about your exceptional stay. It’s the best way we have of knowing how we’re doing.Your overall satisfaction score of 5 just makes my day! If there is anything we could have done to make your stay a better one, please do let me know. Otherwise, we hope to see you again sooner rather than later!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We purchased a killer LivingSocial deal for 3 nights at the Eldorado Hotel & Spa, and just returned to Denver after using our nights. While the original deal seemed like a steal, we were consistently disappointed with hidden charges. First, we were on the hook for lodging taxes, which totaled close to $100, if not more. Then, we were surprised to learn of a $50.00 pet deposit that was required for our dogs to be there. This was troubling as I had specifically called the hotel and asked about their pet policy (and costs) before booking the deal. I was told that there were no weight limits, OR deposits to bring pets along. I was also surprised by a $24.00 per day charge to park our car in the hotel parking structure. Finally, when reviewing the receipt for our spa package we had purchased/used (a 50 min massage and 25 min scalp treatment), the receptionist asked if I would like to include gratuity with my credit card payment. I said sure, to which she asked, "20%"? Normally this wouldn't have been problematic, except that the masseuse I had was sitting RIGHT THERE, so it would have been very uncomfortable to offer a lower tip. (Which I should have done, as his performance was lacking). I agreed to 20%, and was then appalled to see that I had already been charged $40+ PER PERSON in "service charges" for the massage/treatments.

While the hotel itself and the rooms were lovely, we couldn't help but feel as though they were massively understaffed. Any simple request took a significant amount of time to be completed (think 30 minutes for 2 forks to be brought up to the room), and house-keeping requests weren't performed for hours after, at which point we had already returned with our dogs. Also, there was one day in which we made no housekeeping requests, and yet we noticed that many of our things had been moved around the room. It didn't appear as though anything was missing per se, but it was almost as if a maid had come in, begun cleaning, then dropped everything and left before finishing. Very odd.

If you're looking for a top of the line, relaxing SPA experience, this would not be the place to go. The spa was incredibly outdated, with most supplies entirely depleted (towels, water, lotion), and the steam room anything but steamy. You will also find yourself bumping into staff in the locker rooms and restrooms, which is inappropriate in itself, but even worse when they are curt and anything but hospitable.

The Eldorado Hotel and Spa was mediocre, and incredibly overpriced. I highly suggest researching other alternatives thoroughly before booking, and would direct you to 10 thousand waves - we were referred there by AT LEAST 10 different people in the months/weeks before our trip, but opted for a "deal" instead.

9  Thank Chelsea I
Jason B, Director of Rooms at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

I am very sorry to hear about your stay and the issues with service you encountered. It is unacceptable for the delays. As for the fees, Living Social mentions in the purchase that you are responsible for taxes on the room, $24 daily for valet is comparable for the area as is the pet fee. Again, I am very sorry to hear about the experience as this is not typical as far as delays are concerned.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was our first time to Santa Fe and we stayed here for two nights.
The hotel is in a perfect location, has a great lobby, sitting area and gym. The rooms are standard. Our room, 2169 was very spacious, yet lacked any character/charm. It was very functional and served its purpose.
The check in was rather on the quick side. I am not sure why it seemed rushed as there was no one behind me waiting to check in. I had questions and was told to see the concierge. Um, okay...
Valet was overwhelmed upon checking out and had to wait for our car, not a big deal for us, but others were getting a tad impatient and I let one couple go ahead of us.
Did not eat in the hotel bar or restaurant, but did go to Coyote Cafe (A+) and Cowgirl (A+ for lunch).
Everything was within walking distance from this hotel: Georgia O'Keefe Museum, St Francis Assisi Cathedral and all museum/art galleries. Holy Spirit Espresso across the street (up San Fran St) is the best coffee we have had in a long time. On the way out of town had an amazing breakfast at The Pantry (A++)
Enjoy

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brklynrider

Thank you for staying with us recently, and taking the time to let others know about your stay. It's the best way we have of knowing how we’re doing. I’m concerned that we failed to deliver an exceptional guest experience for you. It’s also clear we could have done a better job during your stay and I’m sorry we fell short. When and if you change your mind about possibly returning, we’ll do a better job satisfying you, I promise! Notwithstanding your level of dissatisfaction, it was truly our pleasure to have served you.