“very good”

Ranked #18 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Chappaqua, New York, United States
“very good”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Eldorado. We liked the mix of southwestern and modern style. Room was large, clean and bed was very comfortable. The pool is tiny but is fine for lounging, relaxing and a quick dip. Staff was overall nice, accommodating and helpful. Only ate breakfast there, which was good, but we wanted to get fresh omelettes made at the buffet and the chef was MIA.

Dear SuzanneZ,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you liked the décor of the hotel and that the staff was accommodating and helpful. We usually do not have a buffet in the morning but we can definitely make fresh omelets for you. I hope to welcome you back to the Eldorado Hotel and Spa and Heritage Hotels and Resorts
Max

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Justin at the front desk was very helpful and friendly, checked us in even though I arrived a little early. He also straightened out our bill when there was an error and always greeted us by name during our stay. Irene and Keith did our massages at the spa and they were both terrific!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lisa D, Spa Director at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Phyllis,
So glad to hear you enjoy our massage therapists. I will be sure to pass this along to them!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Beautiful luxury hotel. Great location. Clean rooms. Friendly staff. However, about midnight, a bellman opened the door to our room to bring in another guest's luggage. The desk had given him our room number and a key to our room. The safety latch stopped him and he apologized. It was a mix up at the desk but a little scary. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lucydog2013,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you had an enjoyable time with us. I am sorry about the mix up that happen to you. I have looked into this and can assure you that we have taken steps to correct the mistake. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Eldorado Hotel and Spa again soon,
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had a four night stay. This is a good hotel, but it has some issues. The positives include location and a nice Southwestern design and atmosphere. It is a short walk to the Plaza and downtown museums and sites. Most of the staff were delightful young people. John, the friendly doorman, is a real asset to the hotel. The concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful. The Agave bar has a nice vibe and reasonable prices. Our room was quite large (but you might ask because others complained.

On the negative side, we had reserved a room with a King bed and instead got a room with 2 doubles. The room had a clogged drain in the tub and it is impossible to believe that it was not noticed by housekeeping before we arrived. There was one older female desk clerk who was about the rudest person I have ever encountered and who should not be in the hospitality business. She clearly does not enjoy her job. We parked at the public lot kitty corner to the hotel, but were nonetheless charged $24 per night for parking. This seems to be hotel policy and it is outrageously dishonest. The hotel seems to be about ready for some updating. The hallway carpets seemed fairly dirty. Fitness and pool facilities are quite small.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 1Rahhalatun
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Although staying with my brother forty-five minutes away in Placitas, we were tempted into staying over my birthday night at Eldorado Hotel, thanks to a Travel Zoo coupon that gave a substantial discount. You might think that the hotel would cut corners for cheapskates like me, but such was not the case. In fact, the receptionist reminded me the coupon comes with a $25 credit for the restaurant or spa, which I had forgotten.

We used it for breakfast the next morning. The Old House Restaurant (once rated the best in New Mexico) had obscenely huge servings, usually a pet peeve of mine as giant servings are frequently a cover for mediocre quality. Not here. The huevos rancheros and goat cheese fritata were perfectly done. Sadly, we left food on our plates. We just couldn’t eat it all. They had little jars of DIckinson’s preserves (founded in 1897) on the table, but we didn’t take them, as I’m cutting down on sugar (the first ingredient).

The hotel itself could have been a disappointment, a faded relic of former glory. But it wasn’t. It extends a city block, with a huge lobby area, and large areas at the elevator on each floor. The carpeting is colorful, southwestern in theme, and admittedly a little beat up here and there. But that was really the only indication of its age. The lobby level has many shops and walls filled with art work.

Across the street is the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, and the Plaza is two blocks away.
Yes, we took all the Gilchrist and Soames toiletries, and the bath cap, the coffee packets, and some paper coffee cups with lids (convenient when traveling). We never used the fluffy white bathrobes, but I did use the iron and ironing board to look sharp for my birthday dinner at Geronimo (a separate review).

The concierge was helpful in giving directions. I’m sure dogs appreciated the large bowls with water for them. If I weren’t so cheap. I would gladly come back here at full price. It’s a lovely place to stay. But more likely, I’ll wait for another Travel Zoo coupon. What can be better than luxury at half the price?

I always puzzle at reviews that say the staff was terrible when I had a wonderful experience. Everyone was charming and friendly and performed their service admirably.

2 Thank Robert F
Dear Robert F,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and rate us on your experience. I am glad to hear that you had a great experience with everybody that you met during your stay. I glad to hear that you also had a great experience in our Old House restaurant. Now that you have re-found your hotel of choice, I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the not so distant future.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This spa hotel is the comfort and luxury you look for when you are visiting Santa Fe New Mexico.
The location is central and walkable to everything. The rooms are quiet even if you are overlooking the street. The pillow top beds were so comfortable they made it difficult to get out of bed. From arrival to departure they take care of your requests. The dinning is superb. Very well operated Hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank KathyS181
SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Kathy S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on the Eldorado Hotel. I am happy to hear that you truly enjoyed your experience with us. Now that you have found your hotel to stay at when visiting Santa Fe. I only hope that you can visit us again in the not so distant future.
Lake Mary, Florida
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The Eldorado has a very nice location convenient to the plaza area shops, restaurants. The property itself is well maintained but the rooms are very small. We had a balcony room but that was very misleading, the balcony was so narrow you could barely sit comfortably and the wall was so hight that it obstructed your view.

The rooftop pool is a joke - smaller than the backyard pool most people have at home. Again, like the "balcony" it was disappointing and misleading.

Positives - we had room service several times for breakfast and dinner and the food was very good and the service very prompt.

5 Thank SambaJones
SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear SambaJones,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Eldorado Hotel and Spa. I am glad that you found the hotel to be conveniently located for your visit to Santa Fe. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed room service as well as the staff. I am sorry that you were disappointed about the size of the pool. Unfortunately we are restricted with the space that we have.