To start with the positives, the hotel is in an excellent location. You can walk to everything in Santa Fe from it. The price was at least $100 less per night than the nicer hotels close by, which adds up after a few nights. The parking was also a deal compared to the other downtown hotels I priced - $8 compared to $20. Also has free wifi.
The rooms are clean but extremely dated. We had issues with the hair dryer overheating after a few minutes and we would have to wait for it to cool down. I haven't seen a TV like the one in the room since the mid-90's. The rugs, beds, linens are old and nothing to write home about. The bathroom is dated. Our toilet leaked all over when we arrived, but they were attentive and did send someone up to fix it within two hours.
The location and price are what sold us on the hotel. If you don't mind very dated rooms that smell a little musty, and you enjoy a good deal in a great location, this hotel is for you. If you enjoy the luxury of a 5 star, check out the more expensive ones down the road.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Garrett's Desert Inn - a Santa Fe motel in the heart of town. ~ A Route 66 Santa Fe Motel right in heart of Santa Fe, sitting three blocks from the end of the Santa Fe Trail. Now under new management since Oct 2013. Serious downtown value. ~ a classic Route 66 "motor-court" motel with front of the room parking, has been the go-to bargain accommodations for downtown Santa Fe. ~ with the famous "Bite" all-day restaurant featuring its renowned "Best of Santa Fe" burgers and malts. ~ one of the most affordable pet friendly Santa Fe hotels, ~ heated swimming pool and plenty of sun open late May to late September. ~ three blocks or less to 1. The Plaza 2. Palace of the Governors 3. Cathedral and its chiming bells 4. Loretto Chapel 5. The three downtown museums 6. Canyon Road and its 80 plus galleries - a visual feast of a walk 7. Oldest house in Santa Fe 8. Forty - yes 40- restaurants. ~ Right by the end of the Santa Fe trail. ~ Imagine what has passed us by. We're not fancy - we're "right there - in the heart of it" Locally owned since 1957. Giving Back with Every Stay It is our mission to support non-profits by hosting community environmental and political groups, book readings, lectures, meetings, yoga, and meditation - - the essence of living here in Santa Fe. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Garrett's Desert Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garrett`s Desert Hotel Santa Fe
- Garretts Desert Hotel
- Garretts Desert Santa Fe
- Garrett's Desert Inn Santa Fe, New Mexico