Before finalizing our travel plans for a recent trip to Santa Fe over the recent MLK Jr. Holiday weekend, I did a lot of “shopping around” on the Internet for hotel accommodations. I selected Garrett’s Desert Inn based upon the location, rate and photos on their web site.
As soon as we walked into Room 104, we realized that the photos on the web site did not in any way match our actual accommodations! Unlike the newly renovated rooms in the photos, our room hadn’t been updated in decades. The soap dish in the shower was so old that the chrome-plating had been rubbed off exposing the brass below!
The other short-comings we found during our three-day stay were:
1) Only one accessible outlet that had an “illegal” six outlet device installed.
2) An inoperative alarm clock.
3) Peeling paint in the bath and peeling wallpaper in the bedroom.
4) A bed-side wall sconce that was pulling away from the wall.
5) The handle for the cold water in the shower was unattached.
6) When we had problems with the TV on Sunday, we went down to the front desk to report the issue. The desk clerk, Tiffany, was not at all supportive of getting the matter addressed promptly. After waiting for the “maintenance man” to arrive, we attempted to call the front desk but found that the phone in our room was unplugged and the wall jack was behind a piece of very heavy furniture.
Adding insult to injury!
A day or two after our disappointing stay at Garrett’s, I received an online survey about our experience which I answered in detail. On 2/23, I received a very nice response from Eric at Panetiere Marketing Advisors. In an effort to address the very disappointing conditions that we experienced during our stay at Garrett’s, Eric generously offered us a refund of one night’s room charge and a complimentary night’s stay at a future time.
Five days later, I emailed Eric to take him up on the offer of a complimentary night’s stay. After not getting a response from Eric in over a week, I emailed him once again. That day, I received a reply from Eric stating that PMA no longer represented Garrett’s and that he would see if the motel would make good on his previous offers.
To this date, I have not received any additional communications from PMA or Garrett’s!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Garrett's Desert Inn - a Santa Fe motel in the heart of town. ~ A Route 66 Santa Fe Motel right in heart of Santa Fe, sitting three blocks from the end of the Santa Fe Trail. Now under new management since Oct 2013. Serious downtown value. ~ a classic Route 66 "motor-court" motel with front of the room parking, has been the go-to bargain accommodations for downtown Santa Fe. ~ with the famous "Bite" all-day restaurant featuring its renowned "Best of Santa Fe" burgers and malts. ~ one of the most affordable pet friendly Santa Fe hotels, ~ heated swimming pool and plenty of sun open late May to late September. ~ three blocks or less to 1. The Plaza 2. Palace of the Governors 3. Cathedral and its chiming bells 4. Loretto Chapel 5. The three downtown museums 6. Canyon Road and its 80 plus galleries - a visual feast of a walk 7. Oldest house in Santa Fe 8. Forty - yes 40- restaurants. ~ Right by the end of the Santa Fe trail. ~ Imagine what has passed us by. We're not fancy - we're "right there - in the heart of it" Locally owned since 1957. Giving Back with Every Stay It is our mission to support non-profits by hosting community environmental and political groups, book readings, lectures, meetings, yoga, and meditation - - the essence of living here in Santa Fe. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Garrett's Desert Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garrett`s Desert Hotel Santa Fe
- Garretts Desert Hotel
- Garretts Desert Santa Fe
- Garrett's Desert Inn Santa Fe, New Mexico