“Close to everything”

Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza
Ranked #18 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 26 November 2011

When I booked this hotel I thought it might be further out than I wanted but the map is deceiving. It's right on the corner of the entry to the shopping and historic plaza. Although the address is Sandoval, it's really at the corner of San Francisco and Sandoval. We had written in our reservation request that it was my birthday. Upon arrival, we were told they upgraded our room - larger, corner room. Plus the second night we were there, they delivered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Parking was very easy and just $7. One thing I wish they would change is the morning buffet breakfast. It was the same meal three days in a row. But I can't complain about the stay or service.

Room Tip: The lobby floor is the second floor so if you don't want to be on the lobby level, ask for level...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Boopers
Write a ReviewReviews (1,692)

Reviewed 22 November 2011

I had such a negative experience at this hotel that I thought I'd wait awhile to submit a report as I was concerned I'd be overly negative and unfair. I thought over time I'd feel a bit more positive about my experience. However, my anger has not diminished over time and I find I am in agreement with the traveller from Atlanta who provided a review dated Oct. 30, 2011 who said they found the, "...front desk personnel hostile, unwelcoming and dishonest."

I am a Hilton Diamond member and stay at a lot of Hilton properties throughout the year. This was by far the worst check-in experience I've ever had at ANY hotel of ANY brand. To begin with, the front desk staff attempted to charge me for a room that cost 2X the amount of the room that I had booked. When I told her that it was 2X the amount I had booked and asked if the lower rate was available, she said she thought she could change it. Well, gee, thanks for the favor of honoring the rate I booked! She tried to change the amount on the computer but could not so finally we both agreed to it verbally and I hand-wrote the correct amount on the registration card and crossed out the higher amount. She said her good-byes and it was at that point that I pointed out that I was Hilton Diamond member and asked for my breakfast voucher. Yes, I had to beg for my breakfast which I absolutely hate as I should not have to do so. To my surprise, I first had to endure a lecture by an immature desk clerk who was a good 2 decades my junior. She had the audacity to lecture me on the importance of tipping the restaurant staff. She added that the staff arrive early in the morning for breakfast and work hard so I'd better tip them well. Unbelievably rude!!! I am a good tipper and doubt she would have lectured me had I been a man of the same age. Oh, and to top it off, the same desk clerk kept the conversation focused on herself as she went on and on about her aunt who worked for the CIA. Really bizarre!

No additional problems really until I got home - I'll save that for the end! The room was adequate although not upscale in appearance. Beds were sufficiently comfortable. The carpeting had spots and stains. The overall layout of the hotel is less than ideal and the building appears to be a renovated motor hotel.

The one plus: The restaurant was truly amazing. The breakfast buffet was memorable and one of the best I'd had in quite awhile. The blue corn pancakes were unbelievably delicious. ...and yes, I tipped well because the restaurant staff couldn't have been nicer or more attentive.

Now here's the kicker: When I got home I looked at my Hilton account and noticed that some 21,000 miles had been taken out. It took quite a bit of time on the phone to Hiltonhhonors but finally it was revealed, as I'd suspected, that this hotel took it upon themselves to take 21,000 miles out of my account without my knowledge or permission. After I reported it to this hotel's management, I received a message a few days later telling me that the mileage had been returned. ...but no compensation of any kind - additional mileage or otherwise - for their incompetent act (or perhaps something more nefarious).

So, in summary, if you want to be lectured about tipping for your complimentary breakfast voucher that you have to ask for and want the hotel to take mileage out of your account without your permission, or try to charge you 2X the room rate that you booked, then this is the place for you. And how thoughtful of the management to return MY mileage to my account. Gee, really appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank lisajanetx
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I'll start with the location. This hotel is very easy to find, right at the edge of Old Town, and simple to get in and out of. It's great for parking your car and spending the rest of your trip walking since you are no more than a 5-10 minute stroll to pretty much anyplace that you would want to go to in Old Town. Now the hotel. As soon as I checked in, I saw the firplace in the lobby but it smelled like smoke throughout the entire hotel, but then after walking around the property I saw that there was an additional fireplace outside by the pool and between the 2 of them, some open windows and hallways, it really permeates the building. The rooms are old (creaking closet doors and chipped tile), thin walls and on the small side but well enough for what you need. The breakfast buffet had wonderful fast service and the friendliest people working there but the food was terrible. Terrible. There are about a dozen other places that have a better breakast in Old Town for half the price. Save the money and venture out for breakfast. If you like the idea of a chain hotel, like I do, when you are venturing in to a new city, than this hotel is just fine. ***BEWARE, there are Santa Fe police officers that stand out on the front corner of the hotel and hand out jaywalking tickets, which is bizarre in a walking town. The idea of this deters me from ever going back to Santa Fe but if you want to stay at this hotel just keep an eye out.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jade A
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We were part of a group that was touring because of the balloon fiesta. Rooms clean and good access via the elevators. Kind of a long walk to breakfast but was worth it. Great service for it being a buffet.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jerryw38
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Stayed here for a weekend conference and it was comfortable, quiet, and enjoyable. As a swimmer I loved the outdoor pool which was heated and still open at the end of October. The bar has a nice fireplace and serves light fare which is quite good. Staff were helpful especially front desk staff. Hotel is located next to the square so you can walk nearly everywhere. We also enjoyed hiking in the Audubon center at the end of Canyon drive. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Initially we were given a room next to the ice machine and near an outside door. Staff were able to...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Ladyv2
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Overnight here for a quick long weekend getaway. Beautiful public spaces and well maintained and updated rooms even with flat screen TVs. Each room has a small balcony either facing the pool or street. Our room faced the street and was not that noisy. Nice bedding and all down pillows. Easy walk to the plaza and many great restaurants. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Bsey
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Pros very good location being right at the beginning of the historic Plaza and within walking distance to the Railyard area, museums, etc. We were greeted very warmly and upgraded to a larger room. The servers in the dining room were outstanding although we only had breakfast there each day. Cons; the rooms definitely are looking a little tired and could use some redecorating, rugs, furniture, etc. The rooms were clean though so we appreciated this. We were disappointed that the lounge closes at 10:00 even on the weekends. It would have been nice to be able to relax there a little longer as it is cozy, but the bartender made it very clear he was not serving after 10:00. Would we stay here again on a return visit -- probably not.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple