“Recent renovation, elegant, great location”

Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed at this Hilton for a special occasion. We wanted to stay at the Hilton because of the location and so we could accrue Honors points, but the last time we visited the rooms were dated - wow, we were so pleasantly surprised to see what a difference the recent renovations had made. the rooms were elegant, modern, with a southwest/Spanish sense. The bathroom was amazing and the rooms seemed so much bigger. The courtyard pool is really an oasis. You cannot beat the location, a five minute walk to the plaza. The only opportunity for improvement would be to help the young man at the front desk to be a bit more professional and customer service oriented. But this is a great hotel and the money invested in the renovations was really worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool on the third floor in the renovated area of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Buffalogirl41

Reviewed 23 August 2012

I used some of my HHonors Diamond points to stay here August 13-14, 2012 with my kids. I got an upgraded pool with walk-out access to the pool.
Wonderful experience all the way around with one minor exception I'll note later.
The hotel has a very nicely done front entrance way that is beautifully landscaped but not pretentious. The lobby is very nicely done in southwest understated lux.
The check-in process went smoothly and efficiently and we were quickly off to find out room.
Our room was a double queen with pool access. Fairly standard room style that you would expect in a full service Hilton. Nicely decorated and well appointed with nice furniture and very comfortable beds.
An item of note was that the bathroom was huge and if you wanted, very well lit up!
Parking was never an issue as there is plenty of it on the hotel property. Being a Diamond, the manager waived the minor parking fee (thank you Mr. Manager!). Even at $7.50 this has to be one of the cheapest downtown parking rates I've experienced in a city.
The location of the hotel is ideal for wandering around the historic district on foot. My kids and I walked until our feet were sore and we were exhausted.
There are a lot of restaurants to choose from within walking distance and a whole lot of touristy shops ranging from a very cool and funky hippy arts and crafts and trinket shop up to way expensive art galleries.
For the history buff, you are going to really enjoy yourself. Plenty to do and see, again all within walking distance.
The only discordant note on our trip was struck at breakfast the first morning. We waited at the door to be greeted and seated. Never happened and we found our own table. Once they realized they had new customers we were waited on and served juice. Once during the meal our waitress came by to check on us and we requested a juice refill then my kids refilled their plates for seconds. The meal continued, but with no drink refills. She did remember to drop the bill at our table however. As we were standing up to leave the waitress finally did remember our request and asked if we wanted our juice. This as we were stepping away from the table!
Definitely not the type of experience I would have expected at a hotel of this style.
The buffet breakfast was pretty good though. Except the scrambled eggs were dried out owing to having continued to be slowly cooked and cooked in the hot server.
Our second morning breakfast experience went much more smoothly.
A final note. I visited the Executive Lounge on the third floor a couple of times. Very nicely done with a good array of snacks, coffee, tea. I never did see anyone else in there.
Thank you Santa Fe Hilton. If I'm ever through there again and need a hotel, I'll be back.

Room Tip: If you're looking for rooms that have pool access, the rooms on the north side have little tiny...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DFW_nomad
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This review is way past due! My husband and I moved from ID to TX last August (2011). We decided to stay in Santa Fe for one of our stops. I looked up this hotel online and was amazed that they allowed pets- our family pointer mix was along for the ride! When we got there we were very pleasantly surprised- spacious room with a door that led to the pool area, which was quite impressive. After wandering around Santa Fe-- easily done as there is a lot in walking distance--- we relaxed by the pool before turning in. A very nice pit stop on the long road trip and I would be very happy to stay there again if we are ever in the area again. Santa Fe is quite the lovely city as well- it was our first time there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank downtheavenue
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I really enjoyed my week-long stay here at the end of July. This hotel is beautiful! My room was lovely and clean, nice decor, very comfortable bed and nice bathroom with good lighting. It overlooked the pool/courtyard area so it was very quiet and restful.
The level of service in this hotel was far greater than I expected. All of the staff is so friendly and helpful. They made me feel very welcome and comfortable. Samantha at the front desk is an absolute doll!
The restaurants are great. Loved the quality and variety at the breakfast buffet and delicious, huge sandwiches at lunch time as well. The staff is very caring and attentive.
This hotel also has a terrific location with easy walking access to downtown/plaza area and only about a 15 minute walk to Canyon Rd.
I was spoiled so rotten I didn't want to check out! I'd recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Santa Fe.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank go_c_flo
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed 2 nights, August 4th-5th. From the minute we checked it we were treated like royalty. We got a great room (313) which was a little out of the way and nice and quiet. The first morning I went down to get a cup of coffee in the EL Canyon Cafe. As I was paying, the server asked me if I wanted a sleeve for the cup- I told him I didn't really need it because it wasn't too hot. He took the coffee from me, proceeded to steam it so it was really hot, put the top on, added the sleeve and handed it back to me with a wish for a good day- wow, talk about great service!!
We even stopped back later in the day after walking around Santa Fe for hours and not really wanted anymore New Mexican cuisine. I ordered the Chef Salad with pinion dressing, and my sister had the turkey sandwich platter- both were great, and again the service was excellent. The pool was lovely, large enough for a good swim, comfy chaises and at night we sat by the fire and enjoyed the night air.
I'm not sure why this hotel isn't more highly rated, it is in my book! I would stay here again in a heartbeat

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank janedds
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The location is excellent for visiting the plaza area. The bar and grill was nice and the man working there was a great host. We enjoyed sitting by the fireplace on a cool night. Breakfast was good. The woman who handled the check-in was efficient but also the one thing we’d downgrade for the experience. There was some construction work going on however it did not bother us but may have been a factor in not getting an upgrade (we’re Gold level with Hilton) as the place was not heavily booked. We were told that a large group was coming in the next week. The room was nice enough but nothing special and faced the parking lot and street. There are some quite old parts to the hotel that are interesting to see.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side where the parking is may get noise, the back side is closer to a street. Nice cou...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KinRoundHill
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We love the Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza. As we travel through New Mexico on I-40 several times a year, we drive approximately 2 hours roundtrip out our way to stay at Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza because we believe it is the best Hilton in the USA. From check-in at the front desk to room service to cocktail lounge and restaurant to housekeeping, everything is superb. On our last visit in May 2012 we were upgraded to a newly renovated room and we were blown away by the beautiful changes to the rooms. Once all of the renovations are complete this Hilton will provide the best accommodations for everyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple