“Disappointed”

Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Southampton, New York
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

First, let me say that we are Hilton Honor members and try to stay at Hilton or their affiliates as much as possible. Having said that, we were some what disappointed in this particular location. Their outside landscaping was non existing. No flowers or welcoming trees. It was just a bare concrete grey building that is not appealing at all. Although the room was average, I do believe that a remodeling job is due.

The adjoining restaurant was the most disappointing. We did not want to go far for dinner so we opted for the adjoining restaurant. BIG mistake! Dark, room, uncomfortable chairs and a very, very limited menu. The bartender acted as the waiter as well and had to keep going to the back to pick up the food. Hilton, we expected more!

Let me say, that Samantha at the front desk was a gem. She was very pleasant and helpful on what ever we needed. She is a wonderful asset to the Hilton team.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Greekgirl47
Christopher B, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Santa Fe. I appreciate your review and your kind words for our staff. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience in our restaurant, I have taken note of your observations and will keep them in mind as we continually work to improve our guest’s experience. Exceptional guest service and quality amenities are foundations of our brand promise and your feedback will help us to improve moving forward. Thank you once again for your comments.

Christopher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend to get away from it all and have a relaxing weekend. It was a great experience. This hotel is lovely, the staff is excellant. The breakfast buffet was excellant and for $2.00 extra you could order off of the menu, which I did and had the eggs ranchero both days with green chilli and it was absolutely fantastic. This hotel is close to the square and walking distance to so many art galleries and shopping, there was plenty to do for 3 days without even getting into our car.

I used my HHonors Diamond points to stay and we were upgraded to a great room on the third floor, had access to a separeate suite for happy hour and continental buffet is we chose to use it, which we did for happy hour every day. Great green sauce, red sauce and chiips everyday, what else could a real Texan ask for in life?

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary L
Washington DC
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My husband and I loved this location and great hotel. It was perfect for explorig the Santa Faux Theme Park-aka downtown "historic" Santa Fe. We were so disappointed with the downtown after hearing how great it was. The hotel, however, was the best part as it actually looked real with very nice staff and beautiful rooms. It also might seem expensive, but not in comparison with the more delusional ones in the area. We did not try any of the dining rooms, but kept trying to find real New Mexican cuisine. For reports on that experience - see the restaurant part of Trip Advisor.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leonore1005
Christopher B, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
A fabulous review ... thank you! I am sorry the Plaza experience was disappointing.. I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel and look forward to seeing you again here at the Hilton

Christopher
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed at this Hilton for a special occasion. We wanted to stay at the Hilton because of the location and so we could accrue Honors points, but the last time we visited the rooms were dated - wow, we were so pleasantly surprised to see what a difference the recent renovations had made. the rooms were elegant, modern, with a southwest/Spanish sense. The bathroom was amazing and the rooms seemed so much bigger. The courtyard pool is really an oasis. You cannot beat the location, a five minute walk to the plaza. The only opportunity for improvement would be to help the young man at the front desk to be a bit more professional and customer service oriented. But this is a great hotel and the money invested in the renovations was really worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool on the third floor in the renovated area of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Buffalogirl41
texas
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I used some of my HHonors Diamond points to stay here August 13-14, 2012 with my kids. I got an upgraded pool with walk-out access to the pool.
Wonderful experience all the way around with one minor exception I'll note later.
The hotel has a very nicely done front entrance way that is beautifully landscaped but not pretentious. The lobby is very nicely done in southwest understated lux.
The check-in process went smoothly and efficiently and we were quickly off to find out room.
Our room was a double queen with pool access. Fairly standard room style that you would expect in a full service Hilton. Nicely decorated and well appointed with nice furniture and very comfortable beds.
An item of note was that the bathroom was huge and if you wanted, very well lit up!
Parking was never an issue as there is plenty of it on the hotel property. Being a Diamond, the manager waived the minor parking fee (thank you Mr. Manager!). Even at $7.50 this has to be one of the cheapest downtown parking rates I've experienced in a city.
The location of the hotel is ideal for wandering around the historic district on foot. My kids and I walked until our feet were sore and we were exhausted.
There are a lot of restaurants to choose from within walking distance and a whole lot of touristy shops ranging from a very cool and funky hippy arts and crafts and trinket shop up to way expensive art galleries.
For the history buff, you are going to really enjoy yourself. Plenty to do and see, again all within walking distance.
The only discordant note on our trip was struck at breakfast the first morning. We waited at the door to be greeted and seated. Never happened and we found our own table. Once they realized they had new customers we were waited on and served juice. Once during the meal our waitress came by to check on us and we requested a juice refill then my kids refilled their plates for seconds. The meal continued, but with no drink refills. She did remember to drop the bill at our table however. As we were standing up to leave the waitress finally did remember our request and asked if we wanted our juice. This as we were stepping away from the table!
Definitely not the type of experience I would have expected at a hotel of this style.
The buffet breakfast was pretty good though. Except the scrambled eggs were dried out owing to having continued to be slowly cooked and cooked in the hot server.
Our second morning breakfast experience went much more smoothly.
A final note. I visited the Executive Lounge on the third floor a couple of times. Very nicely done with a good array of snacks, coffee, tea. I never did see anyone else in there.
Thank you Santa Fe Hilton. If I'm ever through there again and need a hotel, I'll be back.

Room Tip: If you're looking for rooms that have pool access, the rooms on the north side have little tiny...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DFW_nomad
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This review is way past due! My husband and I moved from ID to TX last August (2011). We decided to stay in Santa Fe for one of our stops. I looked up this hotel online and was amazed that they allowed pets- our family pointer mix was along for the ride! When we got there we were very pleasantly surprised- spacious room with a door that led to the pool area, which was quite impressive. After wandering around Santa Fe-- easily done as there is a lot in walking distance--- we relaxed by the pool before turning in. A very nice pit stop on the long road trip and I would be very happy to stay there again if we are ever in the area again. Santa Fe is quite the lovely city as well- it was our first time there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank downtheavenue
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I really enjoyed my week-long stay here at the end of July. This hotel is beautiful! My room was lovely and clean, nice decor, very comfortable bed and nice bathroom with good lighting. It overlooked the pool/courtyard area so it was very quiet and restful.
The level of service in this hotel was far greater than I expected. All of the staff is so friendly and helpful. They made me feel very welcome and comfortable. Samantha at the front desk is an absolute doll!
The restaurants are great. Loved the quality and variety at the breakfast buffet and delicious, huge sandwiches at lunch time as well. The staff is very caring and attentive.
This hotel also has a terrific location with easy walking access to downtown/plaza area and only about a 15 minute walk to Canyon Rd.
I was spoiled so rotten I didn't want to check out! I'd recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Santa Fe.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo