“La CANTa: clogged bathrooms, rude staff, burglarized cars. DONT STAY HERE”

La Quinta Inn Santa Fe
Ranked #34 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
orange county, california
“La CANTa: clogged bathrooms, rude staff, burglarized cars. DONT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

Our family had to take an out of state trip due to the passing of my grandmother. In this difficult situation, staying at the La Quinta hotel in Santa Fe only made things worse.

I don't even know where to begin, as this alleged hotel.

After a long flight I was looking forward to a hot shower, only to find that the bathroom tub was completely clogged. I tried my best to scoop out whatever was clogging it, but no success. In essence I was forced to take a bath and shower at the same time as the water was rising to my calves.

Unfortunately for my other relatives needing to shower, they also had the same experience except with my used showerwater thanks to the clog. Management was called, and they did absolutely nothing.

There were also what appeared to be several "mysterious" hairs by the toilet, so its obvious the maids dont do any sweeping or mopping.

Good thing I brought my own toiletries because I guess the hotel expected the guests in my room to somehow equally divide a bar of soap into 4 pieces.

The filthy carpet in the room left my feet black. I would have been safer walking around barefoot on the streets of Santa Fe, and putting my shoes on when I got into the room.

TINY BEDS - So I guess their definition of a standard queen size bed is actually a full/twin bed. Since there were 4 guests sharing 2 beds, it wasn't comfortable. I felt like I was goldilocks visiting the three bears.

DISGUSTING BREAKFAST - Their "free breakfast" menu consisted of:
- hard-boiled eggs
- a "Do-It-Yourself" waffle maker (looked like it came out of a toxic waste dump)
- stale muffins and stale cereal
- un-refrigerated room temperature milk in a jug - (god knows how long that was sitting out)
- watered-down orange juice

A security guard in the lobby sits by the food I guess to scare off anyone that wants extra. This "free breakfast" was so bad, the homeless would probably give it back. But since I was hungry and had no time to stop somewhere I forced myself to eat it. I simply just imagined that I was a contestant on Fear Factor.

So far if none of this is bad enough, I suggest avoiding their "free breakfast". It'll save you a trip to the hospital and your stomach will thank you for it.

RUDE STAFF - The staff was incredibly rude! I had asked the guy with the cowboy accent that works at the front if I could get some antibacterial soap. He completely ignored me and when I asked him again he just shook his head. Then when I was checking out, all he did was cough all over the place, and I overheard him telling another co-worker that he had the flu. Why come to work and spread your germs to guests?!?!

BURGLARIZED CARS - And to top it all off as we were in the parking lot putting our luggage into the car, the guests in the next room were filing a police report because their car was broken into. Windows smashed, stereo and other belongings robbed.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL - I highly do not recommend staying here. You could probaly get a more decent experience at a jail cell or salvation army shelter.

Too bad I didnt take photos because if I had known they could be submitted with a review, I would prove that seeing is believing.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank pinupgirl81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
OKC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

I've had some great stays at LaQuinta in Houston and Dallas but this one in Santa Fe was pretty bad. First of all the carpets were filthy. My toddler son's feet were black after crawling around on the carpet for just a few minutes. I wouldn't walk on any of the floors without shoes because they were so dirty. After walking on the carpet then the tile floor in the bathrooms it turned them literally black from tracking the dirt onto them. There was a giant stain on the carpet as you walked into the room too. There were also some unmentionable hairs on the bathroom floor and a bug in the bathtub. The pool was freezing cold. I've swam in some cold pools and you usually can get used to the water especially on a hot day but this one was freezing. The continental breakfast was very limited. No bagels, no English muffins. If you didn't want a waffle, a muffin, or a bowl of cereal then you were out of luck. Plus the milk was in a pitcher on the countertop so no telling how long it sat out at room temperature. There were no small individual milk cartons. Also there was only apple juice, no orange. I would definitely not recommend this hotel. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express later in our trip and it was fantastic!

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Ursus_2

Travellers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

Edmond, Ok
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

Besides the pool being not clean everything else was perfect.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Courtz16
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2009

Fair price, dog friendly, very nice rooms, heated pool and jucuzzi, workout room, free breakfast. Only problem was someones dog peed on my door the night before and it was not cleaned so I died from the smell. Also, PUT YOUR DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door. Maids start knocking at 7:30am. It sucked. I told management, they didnt offer and discounts. Lame. Still way better then Days Inn across the street. I'll keep looking for a place that cares:)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Robinwilde
arlington, va
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2008

Internet: Grade = B ; Explanation = Reasonably fast

Local Restaurants: Grade = B ; Explanation = Okay, but not great

Cleanliness: Grade = F ; Explanation = Hair all over; Nickel sized food crumb on bed sheets

Water Pressure: Grade = B ; Explanation =

Bed: Grade = F ; Explanation = Hair and crumbs on sheets

Front Desk Competency: Grade = D ; Explanation = Understaffed and slow

Access from highway: Grade = B ; Explanation = Reasonably close

Prepaid Breakfast: Grade = F ; Explanation = Twice as many people as seats (on a weekday!); No protein, no fruit; out of yogurt; horrible coffee

Shower Temperature Control: Grade = C ; Explanation = Difficult to control

Quality of Provided Toiletries: Grade = C ; Explanation = Cheap, crumbly soap

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank the_real_travelerf
Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2008

We are frequent La Quinta travelers because we travel with our dog. This is the worst LQ we've stayed at. It is an older property...which is fine. But no excuse for rooms that aren't clean. The 2 mirrors in our room have something 'sprayed' on them which the maids missed. I don't want to touch the entry door or the bathroom door...they've never been cleaned and are black with handprints. Scuffmarks on all the doors and floor molding.

. One bar of soap to split between the lav sink and the shower. So when you get in the shower you take the soap from the sink (which is in a separate room) and back & forth. For $75/nite I'd suggest looking around. Room doesn't smell good---very heavy chemical smell to it. I will be contacting La Quinta directly as well.... My husband who usually never catches things like this was complaining to me about how dirty this place is.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank redhed
Seymour, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2008

I found this hotel while checking Travelocity for a less expensive hotel than I originally booked. I knew it was a few miles to the plaza, but was willing to drive to save $$. We went to the plaza early in the day and had no trouble with parking. It was also close to I-25 for day trips to Taos & Los Alamos.

We stayed 3 nights. With AAA discount, rate was $35/night. We were very pleased with our room. It was clean. There was no noise. Breakfast was standard continental fare, including waffles.

With the amount I saved, could spend more doing other things.

• Liked — Price, cleanliness
  • Disliked — distance to plaza
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mlmellencamp