“Dingy and Run Down”

Quality Inn Santa Fe
Ranked #46 of 62 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Rarely am I disappointed with a Choice Hotel property, but I was this time.

I did not walk barefoot in the bedroom or hall because the carpet was atrocious; the hair dryer was broken; and the pool had so much chlorine you could not swim in it. Our room had two double beds, not queens as reserved.

On the other hand, the towels were soft, parking was convenient, and the price was attractive for the pricey Santa Fe market.

Perhaps the most aggravating thing was when we checked out, the front desk staff kept us waiting and waiting while they argued with another guest/group about their reservation and charges and then kept us waiting while they instructed the housekeeping staff on which rooms needed to cleaned first.

Next time I'm in Santa Fe, I'll try the Motel 6 next door.

Room Tip: First floor rooms you hear tromping by the upstairs guests. There is a not an elevator for second fl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Jay P, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of our entire team at the Quality Inn, we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our property. I am sorry there was some disappoint with your stay. We are currently under renovations and we are waiting for texture and paint to be done so we can change our room and hallway carpet. We hope that next time you are in Santa Fe our renovations will be done and you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

At least three months before my trip I booked a smoking room here. The day I arrived to check in they told me that they were a non-smoking hotel now. They did actually call my house to tell me they were a non-smoking hotel so I have to give them credit for that. Although I had been on the road for four weeks and didn't get the message at my house. The front desk clerk said the manager did apologize for the inconvenience. That did not help me with a smoking room. I asked the front desk clerk if she could find me a smoking room. She was very helpful and did find one for me. My only problem is I feel they should have emailed me when they decided to become a non-smoking hotel. Besides that they were very helpful in finding me another room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
On behalf of our entire team at the Quality Inn, we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our property. I do apologize for the inconvenience about not getting the correct room. I think there might have been a misunderstanding with your reservation. Until today we have not changed to a non-smoking hotel. If you would like me to look into your reservation please feel free to contact me at Alejandra.qualityinn@gmail.com. We hope that this experience doesn’t stop you from staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I was really disappointed when we drove up to the Quality Inn Santa Fe. It is old, sits next to an old Motel 6, has barbed wire on the fence, no elevator, etc. There are lots of shopping carts outside near the perimeters and unsavory characters weren't uncommon in the parking lot. Drug deals weren't uncommon either.

The rooms we were in had just been painted and the bathrooms had been redone recently. The carpet is very old but presumably will be replaced after the painting is done. The bed was okay. I slept fine.

The staff is very, very nice and quite willing to go the extra mile. That helped make our stay better.

The breakfast buffet was one of the better ones that I have come across. Biscuits, sausage gravy, eggs (fake), pancakes, sweet rolls, cereal,etc.

We were on the 2nd floor. That made it a pain to get to, but the rooms had wonderful balconies that overlooked the pool area and courtyard. We spent a lot of time on the balconies. Since we rented 2 rooms that were side-by-side, we enjoyed the fact that the balconies were connected. That would not have been as nice if I hadn't known the people next door!

I would stay there again, but it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of our entire team at the Quality Inn, we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our property. I am pleased to hear that the front desk was very nice! We always enjoy hearing that guest appreciate our hard work. I am also glad that you enjoyed our breakfast. We hope that next time you are in Santa Fe you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here during the International Folk Art Market using airline points. They're doing a decent job of renovating this older 70's style building, but there are a few bugs in the system.

The location is good if you have a car. It's out on Cerrillos Road a ways, but a quick drive into town, and convenient to the remote parking for the IFAM as well as near our favorite breakfast spot, the Pantry. The building is old, and the public areas are now being renovated, and should be nice when all the sanding and painting is done. We were not even aware of any work being done while we were there.

The most important things were in place--our room was nice, facing the pool. The breakfast was decent--make-your-own waffles, sausage, biscuits and gravy, a variety of muffins and breads, etc. The staff kept everything stocked and fresh coffee in the pot. But the patty sausage was very bland and the eggs were pre-fabricated discs that I didn't care for. We usually had coffee and went out for fantastic breakfasts in Santa Fe--the legendary and still excellent Pantry is just down the street. The staff was uniformly excellent: friendly, helpful, and doing a good job with this aging facility during renovation.

The bugs: when we arrived, we were told the air conditioning had gone out the previous night and might be a while cooling off. But our room was already cooling off when we dropped off our luggage and was fine by the time we returned for the night.
--That night, though, about 2:30am, the electricity shut off (briefly, I think) and when it came back on the fire alarm went off. Also thankfully briefly.
--The power went off the next night, too, with no fire alarm. We only knew because the clock was flashing.
--We'd have slept through the night but for some very noisy guests talking and yelling at their kids while filling their ice buckets down the hall very late night or early am. Could have happened anywhere, I guess.
--The TV remote batteries where dead. The very nice lady at the front desk scrounged around and eventually found some. There should be a supply of spare batteries on hand, and a spare remote in case one breaks.

Overall, I don't regret our stay.

Room Tip: Suggest you ask for an inside room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

On behalf of our entire team at the Quality Inn, we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our property. I am pleased to hear that the front desk was friendly and helpful. We always enjoy hearing that guest appreciate our hard work. Though I am sorry there was some disappoint with the breakfast eggs and sausage. We hope that next time you are in Santa Fe our renovations will be done and you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Not staying here due to changed plans, but based on my experience with a young lady named Flor at the inn, I will stay here next time I'm in the area. She went above and beyond to fix a bad situation caused by a 3rd party reservation system. My interaction with her made me feel very comfortable in choosing this hotel next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SHARON W
Jay P, Manager at Quality Inn Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of our entire team at the Quality Inn, we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our property. I am pleased to hear that the front desk was friendly and helpful. We always enjoy hearing that guest appreciate our hard work. We hope that next time you are in Santa Fe you will give us another chance to provide you with even better service.
Thank you very much!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

First impression is of a friendly staff; but it goes downhill from there. Carpet in hallways is just plain grungy. Doors to rooms do not lock securely. Doors looked prepped for painting which has not been done. Glad renovations are underway; but when you see dirty carpet, then you wonder what the kitchen where breakfast is prepared looks like.

There is a restaurant on the premises; no parking is reserved for hotel guests. We had to park about as far away as possible from our room. In fact, our parking spot was the last one available so if any other guests were out that night, they would have had to park next door or across the street no where near their rooms.

Room Tip: If a parking spot near your room and cleanliness and security are important, stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I would like to start off by apologizing that you didn‘t have such a pleasant stay. The hotel is under renovations and there are a lot of changes coming soon. We hope that when you come to Santa Fe you will give us another chance.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is an older hotel and you can tell the staff has to work hard to keep it from falling apart, but they do a good job and the rooms are clean and well appointed with newer furniture. My room faced the Motel 6 across the parking lot and I could observe what was obviously illegal activity taking place in both rooms and in the parking lot. Police in flak-jackets pulled in and went to the motel 6 office several times. You will need to walk around the pool area and down a hot hallway to get to the breakfast room. The breakfast is the same as most of the Choice Hotel franchises, but the room was packed with guests and the eggs and sausage were luke-warm at best. This hotel doesn't recognize rewards members, so don't expect a room upgrade. I would recommend staying at the Econolodge down the street. Its about the same price and is a better place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Jay P, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

I hope that this experience doesn't stop you from staying with us in the future and next time you visit Santa Fe you will give us the another chance to provide you with superior service.
Once again thank you for your review.