“Not a good experience”

The Lodge at Santa Fe
Ranked #35 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The Lodge is beautiful, but obviouosly poorly managed. I stayed there with my husband, 2 year old, and my parents. Our room was very pretty, but I didn't like seeing black mold in the grout of the shower bath. My parents has a worse experience: when my mother pulled back the coverlet, it was obvious that the bed had been slept in and the sheets not changed since the last guest. There was also a nasty black scab in the sheets. The night attendant was very pleasant about changing the sheets, but he took a long time to do it. The less than wonderful experience got worse in the morning when we decided to try and save time by having breakfast at the hotel. I have rarely seen such incompetence in a restaurant. There were about 5 waitstaff hanging around smirking at each other, but obviously no manager and no one in charge. No one was ever assigned to our table so it took mulitple requests to the random servers to get anything done (getting a highchair, drinks, food ordered, etc.) They never did get our order right, the eggs were scarily undercooked, some of the dishes were dirty and it certainly didn't save us a bit of time. As there were only 5 other tables in the restaurant at the time, a heavy workload was not the issue. All I can say in favor of this experience is that none of us actually got sick. This would be a great little hotel if they ever got competent management, but until that happens-- AVOID.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Bouddhableu
LSF_AM, Front Office Manager at The Lodge at Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

I, along with the staff of the Lodge at Santa Fe would like to extend our apologies for the inconveniences which you experienced during your stay at the hotel. We would like to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention so we can use them as a template from which to make our changes. We are in the process of restructuring the housekeeping department so that mistakes like these become obsolete and a thing of the past. Since the new restaurant opened last month we have experienced some challenges finding the right staffing dynamic to create an efficient working environment and a pleasant dining experience. We regret that we could not do more to make your stay more enjoyable.

There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Santa Fe

Reviewed 25 June 2011

We booked The Lodge on hotels.com for $100/night. We originally booked for 2 nights but ended up coming in one night early. The staff at the front desk are very accomodating and helpful. The pool in the evening was really nice and there were very few people in it. There was also a nice hot tub. The room was clean and comforable. On the second day I discovered I had to fly to another state for a family emergency. It was past the time to cancel per hotel rules and I was afraid I was going to lose the $100. I spoke to Devin at the front desk and he said they would take care of it. They made it very easy and broke their own rules to help me get a full refund. He also said in the future they would match any price found on hotes.com, expedia, etc. I thanked him again at checkout and he gave me a complimentary copy of the local music being played at the hotel. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank KMD_419
Reviewed 24 June 2011

For my first trip to Santa Fe, this hotel offered a good value for your money. The staff was very friendly and helpful through our stay, and the rooms were clean with a nice Southwestern feel. I also enjoyed that it was located a bit higher up in elevation providing views of the mountains, etc. I would, however, recommend that the hotel provide Wi-Fi reception in the rooms if possible (currently only available in the main areas) and better building maintenance in the areas facing the parking lots.

Room Tip: 2nd story with view of the pool is nice
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Travelgirl95648
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Just got back from a great trip to Santa Fe and I LOVED my stay at The Lodge. First of all a big shout out to Housekeeping as the room (and whole hotel) was clean and every time I saw one of them in the hall or by the pool they were quick to ask if I needed anything. The front desk gang were awesome w tips on how to work with my altitude issues and all my other questions about Santa Fe. And the restaurant was terrific too, huge portions, almost too much for me. The margherita's could use some work, I was not impressed w them. Loved the shuttle and the guys who drove us back and forth. At first I was concerned about being outside town but there is a great perk to it, after walking all day in the glorious Santa Fe weather, looking at Art you are tired and to sit by the pool, swim, have a drink, chill out...it's a total spa moment! I met some terrific people by the pool...I will most definitely be back to Santa Fe and The Lodge!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank ArtAnn
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This was a great place to stay. Great location. All of the staff could not have been nicer. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Ask for a room with mountain views
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank VWSam
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This was one of the noisiest hotels I've ever stayed at. Doors slamming all day long. The food was terrible. One of our party got food poisoning from eating at the restuarant and spent a whole day throwing up. Everytime I ordered breakfast it showed up different even though I ordered the same thing everytime. The Eggs were warm, the toast was stale and I don't know if they even know what hashbrowns are.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank SantaCafe
Reviewed 16 June 2011

great location. very friendly, helpful staff. The room was decorated in a very Santa Fe-ish style. It could have used better lighting or usable window shades

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple