“Pictures do not do this hotel justice” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge at Santa Fe

The Lodge at Santa Fe
Ranked #36 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Hampton, Virginia
“Pictures do not do this hotel justice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

When I booked this hotel, the pictures on their website convinced me to book it. When I arrived, the room and lobby resembled a motel converted into a hotel. The rooms had the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel. Some poor quality paint and cheap furniture give the hotel a less than pleasing stay.
The services provided at the hotel are terrible! Housekeeping services took way too long to clean and make the room. It took more than 8 hours for them to make the room up.
If you have another option to stay at please do so. Do not stay here

4 Thank MasCabron23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Wills Point, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Thank you for making our stay so great.
I would recommend this place to anyone holding a small or large event, they went beyond normal to make our event a success.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be great. The suites give more room if needed.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Cottonwood, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

We recently stayed here for one night while traveling through the area on vacation. We chose it because it was the right price on priceline ($50 a night). For that rate it was certainly a good value for the money, no doubt. If you are looking to stay in a nice resort style hotel for multiple nights as a destination, I would not recommend it. It is definitely showing some age, and the maintenance is behind. As others have reviewed internet reception is poor, and parking is odd at night (with strange characters that seem to hang out there-fortunately they didn't do anything to our car). We didn't go to the restaraunt, but did get appetizers ordered poolside and they were expensive, but not over the top, and were very tasty. The staff was helpful while we were there, no issues there. Just seemed a bit dated and run down, would not be my choice as a destination hotel, but fine for passing through, or business.

1 Thank jm222
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We got a pretty good deal - BOGO so that 4 nights in a "Kiva Suite" cost us about $650; just a little over $150 per night. This might sound like a lot, but usually this will get you a pretty small room in this area. Our rental was HUGE and consisted of one HUGE room (about 30' x 20') with a King Bed on one side, and a living area on the other (a nice leather sofa, chair ottoman combo + small table + TV amoire. Off to one side of the living area was a full dining table, and small bar area with sink, microwave, and mini-frig. The main bathroom consisted of a jacuzi whirlpool bath tub (that actually worked quite well), a seperate shower stall (kind of cheap and flimsy), and a toilet. Outside the bathroom were two seperate dressing areas, each with their own sink.

Our understanding is that the Lodge has several rooming options, everything from top-of-the-line timeshare-like rentals (with full kitchens), to individual hotel rooms. The Kiva room was about 1-step down from the full-kitchen suites.

Pros include: 1) good deal for the money (again, we got a good deal), 2) biggest rooms in Santa Fe (actually, the biggest room I've ever stayed in), 3) very nice pool and whirlpool area (nice loungers, chairs, umbrella shades, pool-side bathrooms, pool-side menu and drinks), 4) excellent bar and lounge area, 5) friendly and efficient staff (we didn't have any of the problems some other guests reported earlier this year), 6) plenty of parking, 7)good air conditioning, 8) onsite restaurant (didn't partake this time,..again, just too busy).

Cons: 1) not really within walking distance of the plaza unless you're into jogging about 1.5 miles (there is a shuttle that runs from about 9AM till 9PM at night, but you have to phone ahead to "reserve" it), 2) rooms can be kind of dark (seems to be a motif-thing,..i.e., a lodge is supposed to be dark, it keeps it cooler, etc.), 3) some indication of maintenance-related issues (the bed we had was one of those Sleep Number Beds and the controls didn't seem to be completely working well so that our bed was just a wee-bit lumpy); also the dryer wasn't working.), 4) the exercise room isn't worth much though the "Santa Fe spa" is truly just next door which is entirely state-of-the-art. Supposedly, you get a discount there, we didn't have time to try it out, but the parking lot seemed to be always full which was a good sign.

One other thing. The flamenco performances in the John Siddi theater (on site) are extremely excellent. Best flamenco we've ever seen. These are real world-class performers and the show is a must see, even if you're not into flamenco. You will be impressed.

My final recommendation is that if you can get a good deal, then this is a pretty good stay. Try to get a room where there are windows either facing east or west so you get some light either in the morning or evening respectively. Try to get a room with a balcony, so that you can go outside and get light also. Don't book anything in Santa Fe that doesn't have a pool. You will really enjoy cooling off in it, especially inthe summer. I will stay here again, if I can swing the good price. for $150 a night, you can't beat it!

Room Tip: Try for a room with a balcony on the 2nd levels as this will give a better view than just the parkin...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Paola, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

My wife and I have been staying at the Lodge for years. It used to be very clean and have decent internet accessiblity. Our son lives nearby, so we like the convenience of the Lodges' location. But we are looking at other options for next summer's visit. What's the problem? I work for a small newspaper in Kansas and, even on vacation trips, write columns and news stories. This requires easy access to the internet. This trip, unlike any in the past, I could only access the internet in the lobby, as could other individuals from other locations. And their internet was terribly slow at night but fine in the AM. When we arrived, I was told the pool and lobby had good reception. I should have listened but didn't because we were in the same room we've been accustomed to using. The net always has worked well there in the past. We also should have taken a clue when my wife began picking up hairs and bugs off of the floor. In addition, the continental breakfast, as nice as it is, gives you no selection. The smallest Danish we've ever seen/blue berry muffins and a fruit plate. PERIOD. Your best option is to go out to eat. You can order a regular breakast in the hotel, but be prepared to pay for it, whereas you'll find better prices elsewhere. As I sat there in the lobby typing, each of three mornings, I watched as other guests inquired at the desk about breakfast or just getting coffee. For those who went up to breakfast, just as many chose to go elsewhere after checking upstairs with the restaurant first. Also, I noticed several people simply wanting a quick continental breakfast with plenty of choices and coffee. Not going to happen at The Lodge. I relied on the package coffee (yuch) in the room. The Lodge also seems bent on becoming the night life of Santa Fe. Each night we spent visiting our son only to return at a decent time, usually around nine, to little or no parking near our room. The last night there, we left our truck in a dark location in the very rear of the facility. By morning the parking lot was cleared of the night life guests, and I could move my truck around to an easier spot in which to load up for our return trip home. On our drive back to Kansas, we have been discussing other lodging options and are unsure what to do. The Lodge is close to our son, has always been our favorite place in Santa Fe to stay (we have history with this place), but we have noticed the facility going down hill with each July visit. All I can say is good luck with your visit. We really don't know what to do next summer, when we make our next July visit to see our son. Not happy with the present Lodge.

Room Tip: Good question. Just cross your fingers and hope for the best!
4 Thank ShadesofGray59
LSF_AM, Manager at The Lodge at Santa Fe, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
We always appreciate comments and feedback so that we may make improvements and changes where they are needed. There is no excuse for the state in which the room seems to have been found, or the lack of a reliable internet connection and I am taking immediate action to prevent similar happenings in the future.
It is true that during this season we play a crucial role in Santa Fe's night life; The Lodge at Santa Fe has a fabulous summer performance series featuring flamenco artist Juan Siddi and his incredible Flamenco Theater Company. This year we are honored to include a series with grammy award winner Robert Mirabal, and also Los Martinez Traditional New Mexican Music. Due to the immense popularity of these performances, parking becomes a bit tighter in the evenings even though we have 200 plus parking spaces.
The unfortunate thing about being a property in transition, is sometimes there are challenges and as I always do when I learn of experiences such of these, I find it most distressing that I didn't have the opportunity to correct the challenges at the time that they occurred.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

Lake Forest, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

I've been a guest at the Lodge many times (even back when it used to be Radisson), and I truly enjoyed my most recent visit most of all. The room was clean with a great view and the staff was very accommodating, although I did not try the restaurant this time because it is easy to simply drive just a short way to one of the many restaurants from which to choose from. The location was perfect, since I like being close to the historic district, but not too close. On prior trips, this hotel was lacking, but the newest management has seem to have gotten it right this time (just remember to keep it quiet at night, and please get better internet service) -- otherwise, keep up the good work!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

The internet here is the worst I've ever experienced. Looking at their network and they have the wifi set up all wrong so it just meshing signals. Very shabby networking.
I ordered from room service and finally after the 5th call someone answered and it still took them 45 mins to bring our COLD food. You'd get better service at a motel 6 for half the $. Also the hot tub is luke warm. I'd have a hotter bath at home.

4 Thank bellydonna