“Disappointing”

Inn and Spa at Loretto
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We stayed at this lovely hotel in May 2012 so chose to stay again this past week (May 16, 2013). We opted for this particular hotel/spa rather than stay in the more convenient Albuquerque area. We set up the reservation through a great reservations manager, Maureen, who assisted us immensely. However, two events cause me to reconsider staying here on our next trip to the area. First, our room, despite our repeated requests for a "quiet room away from the elevator" was directly across the hall from the elevator. More importantly, we were abruptly awakened around 4:00 a.m. by a power outtage that stopped all air conditioning (white noise for the elevator bell plus air itself) and all other power sources were out. We had no idea what was happening! (We were so alarmed by this outtage that my husband walked down 3 flights of stairs to the front desk in his pajamas with our flashlight to see what was going on.) We have stayed at highly rated hotels & resorts across the country without an incident of this kind--ever. The next morning during our checkout, we mentioned this abrupt outtage/sleep interruption. Lisa, the hotel front desk personnel who checked us in and also did our checkout, said, "Didn't you see the card on the desk about the expected power outtage?" Such a card did not exist in our room. She did not inform us of this expected event at check-in either. Had we known of it, which interrupted our much needed sleep, we would have stopped in another city for the night. As stated, very disappointing lack of personalized service for a lovely, expensive hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kris M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,850)

Reviewed 22 May 2013

My husband and I love the Southwest and were married in Albuquerque, NM in 1995. This was our 3rd trip to New Mexico and we decided to stay in Santa Fe. The hotel was beautiful, clean and centrally located so that it was easy to walk into downtown. The food is very good, although a bit pricey. The bar had a happy hour and it was fun to sit on the comfy sofas in front of the fireplace. I had a lavender scrub at the spa. The Loretto Chapel is attached to the hotel and is worth a tour. The history of the chapel is very moving.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LizF1528
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This place is great if you like interior cabins on bad cruise ships. Our room had only the light from the narrow balcony door and dim interior lamps. We shared our 4'x4' balcony with pigeons who left their droppings everywhere.These droppings were not removed by housekeeping during their daily visits so we did not use our balcony. The air conditioning was incredibly loud and obtrusive. Check out was lengthy, complicated and inaccurate. The food and the bar were fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sktChico
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We were at this hotel for a conference....great location! Our room, however, was just OK...we were at the very end of the property....and the elevator closest to us was "out of order"! Food service and bar service was very good. Breakfast in the hotel dining room was very good....as we're the drinks in the bar! This is a small hotel, which is nicely decorated!

Room Tip: Not 353.... It is the at the very end of the hall!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank cooker72
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The property is in an excellent location, close enough to walk to the plaza and restaurants all around. The beds are to die for. The spa is the main reason we stay here, it is fabulous. The girls that work there are so nice and helpful. the spa area is beautiful!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony and a view of the mountains
3  Thank Lea Ann P
Sheri D, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Inn and Spa at Loretto on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed The Spa at Loretto and happy you found your accommodation comfortable.

We look forward to a future opportunity to serve you again should you return to Santa Fe.

Sheri Decker

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I had been traveling with my family for just under a month, we were on the road all day. I was done
I didn't think we'd ever get to this place, my sister in law had looked on line and we thought we would check it out. I pulled in behind my brother, they were checking to see if they had 2 rooms available. Yea! they did, I had my service dog Lucy with me, we were all greeted with a smile. I was then offered a bed for my dog, and they even had her favorite color( red) they also had dog bowls. I have been to a lot!!! Of hotels and one beach house on this trip, I have never slept in such a comfortable bed. The staff was friendly and courteous, one girl at the front dest even offered to watch Lucy when I went shopping, she also greeted her by name every time we came in. Thank you so much. The restaurant there was incredible and they had a great wine list. Thank you Antonio you are a fantastic bartender! I'm rating this Inn high not only because it was great, but also how they treated Lucy. I guess if your a dog lover then you'll get it. I think your Inn is beautiful and I can't wait to come back for a longer stay. If your driving down the highway and see the turn off for Sante Fe get off and go it is truly beautiful:) and stay at this Inn you'll get spoiled and not want to go home either.

Room Tip: I'm not sure, we had 2 rooms and both were equally good. The ac was a little noisy, but that did...
4  Thank Donna B
Sheri D, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

I appreciate the time you took to write this review of The Inn and Spa at Loretto located in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I am so pleased you’ve enjoyed your time here and appreciate the compliments regarding our guestrooms and staff. We are very thankful for everything our Inn represents and for our wonderful team.

Thank you again for this review. Please feel free to contact me upon your next visit, I’d love to meet you and Lucy.

Sheri Decker

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Perhaps it's the construction it wasn't as if the hotel was empty but it sure sounded like it was. It may have been the most undisturbed sleep I've ever had in a hotel. Not an inexpensive place to stay and they have those crooked "resort fees" that so many places have implemented but even at 200 plus for the one night it was a treat and probably worth it just to be right in the heart of the downtown district.There was no charge for the valet parking which was a pleasant surprise. We did a last minute booking at the front desk there are probably better deals to be had.

1  Thank Neal B