“Check your bill!”

Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Check your bill!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

The hotel is fine and perfectly located. But check your bill. In May 2014 I booked four rooms for a total of 16 nights. Surprise birthday party for wife and friends. Upon checkout, the front desk could not tell me if any of the Spa or Bar credits were deducted from my room bills. Computer screens and physical paperwork were of no help. I felt sorry for the front desk personnel as their computer system was clearly inadequate. The woman next to me was making the same request as to why she was charged for something that wasn't explained on her printout. As people lined up to check out, both front desk agents were unable to explain anything. Four calls and a week later, I was finally credited about $600 that otherwise would have been kept by the Inn. This morning, I found out that they double charged my sister (one of the guests in the party) for her room and thus double charging. They may have double charged some of my other guests as well - I'm waiting to hear back. On the whole, the staff has the regional apathetic medical condition whereby they just don't care much. Mary at the front desk was a big help and could not have been nicer. Carlos, not so much. Luminaria management double booked a side room we had requested so it was not available even though we were clearly in their calendar. The alternate room was cavernous for our small party. Concierge and valet service were spectacular. Front desk and management get a failing grade.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Patrick M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Upstate NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Inn has truly lovely decor and advertises on their website "wine down Wednesday". Clever concept and my wife and I looked forward to a tasting of 4 wines for $12. Large place so my wife and I stopped at reception desk and clerk sent us down to their "Luminaria" restaurant. Receptionist there wasn't sure they were holding it that Wednesday, called her general manager and found is never in "Luminaria", but rather in lobby bar. So went to lobby bar (about 30 feet from reception desk we first stopped at). Given paper sheet for our tasting comments dated for March (visit last Wednesday in May). Each served 4 wine glasses each with about 1.5 ounces of wine (a large sip). Not wine experts, but know our way around a wine store. Thought wines undistinguished. Hoped for appetizers to clear our palette after each tasting, but none provided and no recommendations of matching between wines and appetizer menu. Asked waitress who seemed nice, but could give us no guidance; suspect a training issue. Finally ordered some olives and small piece of toasted bread. Total bill $36.79 before tip; wine prices in Santa Fe very high (400% markup over retail not unusual), but stop here particularly disappointing and will avoid in the future. Shame as so much could be done with this concept (e.g. "Battle of the Bordeaux" where 4 separate Bordeaux are served, "the best of New Mexico" as a sample of locally produced wines, etc).

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ret1re
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’m extremely disappointed to hear about your less than satisfactory experience and assure this was immediately addressed with our staff. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further and can be reached at 505.984.7928. Your feedback and patronage are very appreciated. We do hope to have you as our guests in the Living Room again. I look forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, Thomas McCann, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend. When we arrived at the hotel, we were turned away as there was a blackout in Santa Fe. It was interesting to read that another group was taken to their rooms via flashlight and the stairs, this option was not offered to my group.
We left to get something to eat and when we returned there was confusion around our rooms. It seemed there were no more available double rooms even though we had booked several months in advance with confirmation of double rooms. I was first put in room 109 which I was told had a patio. There was no patio, there was a little area about the size of the bathroom outside and there were no chairs or table. There was a dog in room 107 that constantly barked. When we were waiting when we first arrived, a man did come to the desk and he requested to be moved because of a barking dog. We asked to be moved, they put us in room 209, there was a dog in 203 that barked all Friday night, Saturday all day until I finally called the front desk. I am a pet owner so I have no issue with animals but they should not be left in rooms alone, that should be a policy at Inn and Spa at Loretto. I did visit a room on the top floor, it had a beautiful balcony but the room was very small. It was a double room, possibly the king rooms have more space.
On Saturday night, we went to the bar area. We waited and waited, there were probably about 40 people with two waitresses. The live music was very good so that help ease the pain of having to wait so long for service and to pay for our food and drinks. The location of the hotel is great for visiting the downtown area.

I was disappointed with this hotel, I thought it would be nicer, rooms larger, decor nicer. This is an updated review. The hotel manager contacted me after my first review, I have since tried twice to reach him and he has not contacted me again. I left a voicemail and I replied to his trip advisor email.

Room Tip: No room on the first floor No room on the side facing the parking lot, I think this is the lower od...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at Inn and Spa at Loretto. We drove to Santa Fe from Albuquerque, so had a car, but did not use it much except for a few day trips out of the area. The hotel is very comfortable and we felt welcome and pampered.

Room Tip: If you don't prefer a dark room, ask for a sunny room. Our window was so small and the walls wer...
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ramthomp
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for her birthday week back in early April. Neither of us had ever been to Santa Fe & several friends recommended the Inn & Spa at Loretto. We were extremely happy with our choice of hotel, the staff was spot remembering our names and taking the opportunity to utilize them when and wherever they saw us (even off property).
The room was well appointed with a great Santa Fe feel to it and we had a private terrace area with great views of the area.
Do not miss dining at Luminaria for dinner. Yes, this is the restaurant in the hotel, the service & food were both five star (see the review that I completed for the restaurant during our stay in April). We dined at some very nice restaurants while in a Santa Fe and found Luminaria to by far be the best, even when compared to some of the more pretentious ones on near by Canyon Road.
My thanks to the entire team for a wonderful vacation!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank George H
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you! We fondly remember hosting you and are so truly honored by your reviews of both the Inn and Spa at Loretto and Luminaria Restaurant. We are very proud of our property and your compliments to our staff, accommodations and dining are such a great testament to the team's efforts. Thank you again. We look forward to celebrating many more birthdays with the both of you! Warm Regards, Thomas McCann, General Manager
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is an excellent choice for visitors wanting to stay near downtown and enjoy the amenities of a fine hotel. It is located half a block from the historic Santa Fe Plaza and a 10 minute walk to Canyon Road (where 100+ art galleries are located). Room prices are at the upper end but competitive to other properties in the downtown area. Check to see if they have any specials for the time you are visiting since the specials often include parking, internet and resort fees. The restaurant is very good; however, if you are looking for a moderately priced meal it is best to visit one of the restaurants in/near the plaza. The accommodations are very nice and many rooms have a balcony to enjoy the unique weather and vistas of Santa Fe. Service is good.

Room Tip: Ask to see if a room with a balcony is available at your price point
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just returned from 4 nights at this hotel with our family of 7. Black out the day we arrived and not able to get into our room without manager using flashlight up the stairs. Had to light a candle to find the bathroom. The lobby bar, thankfully, was up and running and very accommodating to all. After 3 hrs. in the dark, the hotel's restaurant was able to serve dinner - which many other local diners were not. The food here is just fine and we particularly enjoyed breakfast and lunch. The room we had (351) was noisy all night with refrigerator and heater noises that rattled. The tub plug was hard to work. Our view was over the exhaust fan outside and the room was located across from a service elevator and ice machine which were also noisy. We stayed here two years ago and had a much better room, so this was very disappointing to us.

Room Tip: A great choice close to all downtown shopping and plaza area.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family