“We loved this hotel”

Inn and Spa at Loretto
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The location is excellent, the service was superb and our stay was wonderful. We dined at their excellent Luminaria restaurant our first night and had a perfect view of the Loretto Chapel. The concierge came to our table to ensure all was going well and if they could do anything else for us. The resort fee may be troublesome for some but to have gated, guarded parking for a two night stay and never having to use your car, was well worth it. We walked everywhere to see the fabulous churches and galleries. Overall, an excellent experience and we will definitely book for our return visit next Spring

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sylvia R

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Accompanied my husband when he attended a conference at the Inn at Loretto. Location was perfect for someone on foot; lots of shopping, museums and restaurants. Inn is charming; conference rate was for their smaller rooms, but we did request and receive a room with a huge balcony which made the room feel bigger. Bathroom was very small with little room for cosmetics, but everything worked just fine. Most staff were friendly and very helpful. Conference rate included a spa credit, so scheduled a manicure there; spa was ok, but have experienced much better facilities; it is an old hotel. Would have liked a convenience/gift shop to purchase water and snacks; those items are in the room for purchase at very high prices; $5 for a bottle of water. We had a car for a couple days, so went to a grocery store. Restaurant was good, but it is very expensive; join their legacy club for 20% discount.. Location and staff would make me choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Toadi
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your compliments to our staff and location, I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are very proud of our property and your comments and confirmation that you would stay with us again are truly validating. We appreciate the time you took to review the Inn and Spa at Loretto and look forward to welcoming you back soon! Warm Regards, Thomas McCann, General Manager

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is an older hotel done in the southwest style. Room decor is good and the service was good. I was there for a conference and I thought the conference facilities and food was above average. I was going to come in and stay a day early but the conference rate didn't apply. This was an incredible value for the conference rate but I think the normal Saturday night rate was on the high side so I am glad I didn't book the extra night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank drand

Thank you for taking the time to review the Inn and Spa at Loretto. We are delighted that you enjoyed your accommodations, as well as our conference facilities and cuisine. We hope to welcome you to the Inn again on your next business or leisure trip to Santa Fe! Best Regards, Thomas McCann, General Manager

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The hotel is fine and perfectly located. But check your bill. In May 2014 I booked four rooms for a total of 16 nights. Surprise birthday party for wife and friends. Upon checkout, the front desk could not tell me if any of the Spa or Bar credits were deducted from my room bills. Computer screens and physical paperwork were of no help. I felt sorry for the front desk personnel as their computer system was clearly inadequate. The woman next to me was making the same request as to why she was charged for something that wasn't explained on her printout. As people lined up to check out, both front desk agents were unable to explain anything. Four calls and a week later, I was finally credited about $600 that otherwise would have been kept by the Inn. This morning, I found out that they double charged my sister (one of the guests in the party) for her room and thus double charging. They may have double charged some of my other guests as well - I'm waiting to hear back. On the whole, the staff has the regional apathetic medical condition whereby they just don't care much. Mary at the front desk was a big help and could not have been nicer. Carlos, not so much. Luminaria management double booked a side room we had requested so it was not available even though we were clearly in their calendar. The alternate room was cavernous for our small party. Concierge and valet service were spectacular. Front desk and management get a failing grade.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Inn has truly lovely decor and advertises on their website "wine down Wednesday". Clever concept and my wife and I looked forward to a tasting of 4 wines for $12. Large place so my wife and I stopped at reception desk and clerk sent us down to their "Luminaria" restaurant. Receptionist there wasn't sure they were holding it that Wednesday, called her general manager and found is never in "Luminaria", but rather in lobby bar. So went to lobby bar (about 30 feet from reception desk we first stopped at). Given paper sheet for our tasting comments dated for March (visit last Wednesday in May). Each served 4 wine glasses each with about 1.5 ounces of wine (a large sip). Not wine experts, but know our way around a wine store. Thought wines undistinguished. Hoped for appetizers to clear our palette after each tasting, but none provided and no recommendations of matching between wines and appetizer menu. Asked waitress who seemed nice, but could give us no guidance; suspect a training issue. Finally ordered some olives and small piece of toasted bread. Total bill $36.79 before tip; wine prices in Santa Fe very high (400% markup over retail not unusual), but stop here particularly disappointing and will avoid in the future. Shame as so much could be done with this concept (e.g. "Battle of the Bordeaux" where 4 separate Bordeaux are served, "the best of New Mexico" as a sample of locally produced wines, etc).

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ret1re

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’m extremely disappointed to hear about your less than satisfactory experience and assure this was immediately addressed with our staff. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further and can be reached at 505.984.7928. Your feedback and patronage are very appreciated. We do hope to have you as our guests in the Living Room again. I look forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, Thomas McCann, General Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend. When we arrived at the hotel, we were turned away as there was a blackout in Santa Fe. It was interesting to read that another group was taken to their rooms via flashlight and the stairs, this option was not offered to my group.
We left to get something to eat and when we returned there was confusion around our rooms. It seemed there were no more available double rooms even though we had booked several months in advance with confirmation of double rooms. I was first put in room 109 which I was told had a patio. There was no patio, there was a little area about the size of the bathroom outside and there were no chairs or table. There was a dog in room 107 that constantly barked. When we were waiting when we first arrived, a man did come to the desk and he requested to be moved because of a barking dog. We asked to be moved, they put us in room 209, there was a dog in 203 that barked all Friday night, Saturday all day until I finally called the front desk. I am a pet owner so I have no issue with animals but they should not be left in rooms alone, that should be a policy at Inn and Spa at Loretto. I did visit a room on the top floor, it had a beautiful balcony but the room was very small. It was a double room, possibly the king rooms have more space.
On Saturday night, we went to the bar area. We waited and waited, there were probably about 40 people with two waitresses. The live music was very good so that help ease the pain of having to wait so long for service and to pay for our food and drinks. The location of the hotel is great for visiting the downtown area.

I was disappointed with this hotel, I thought it would be nicer, rooms larger, decor nicer. This is an updated review. The hotel manager contacted me after my first review, I have since tried twice to reach him and he has not contacted me again. I left a voicemail and I replied to his trip advisor email.

Room Tip: No room on the first floor No room on the side facing the parking lot, I think this is the lower od...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at Inn and Spa at Loretto. We drove to Santa Fe from Albuquerque, so had a car, but did not use it much except for a few day trips out of the area. The hotel is very comfortable and we felt welcome and pampered.

Room Tip: If you don't prefer a dark room, ask for a sunny room. Our window was so small and the walls wer...
Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple