“Really disappointing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas, USA
“Really disappointing”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

If I could give 2 1/2 stars, I would. It's better than "poor" but still below average.

In summary
Pros:
- the location is wonderful if you are in Santa Fe to visit the plaza

Cons:
- the rooms are cave-like and in desperate need of updating
- bathroom is too small for two people to pass each other
- closet is in the bathroom
- staff do not behave as though this is truly a luxury hotel

We visited the hotel in August 2014 on a golf vacation with friends. This is the third time in four years that we have visited New Mexico to play golf for four days. The past two times we have stayed at the Hyatt Tamaya affiliated with Twin Warriors Golf Club. For us, the amenities, quality of service, etc. offered by the Hyatt is more in line with what we are looking for. We wanted a change of scenery, however, so we opted for the Inn and Spa at Loretto. We were all four extremely disappointed.

We all had the same reaction to the cave-like rooms and tiny bathrooms that are grossly outdated. This hotel advertises itself as a luxury hotel, but I feel that is a misnomer. For example, instead of providing you with the normal personal-size bathroom amenities, there is a caddy installed in the bath/shower for you to pump out gel, shampoo and conditioner. This is minor, but something I have never seen in a hotel, especially a luxury hotel.

Another example...there are two tiny elevators to get you to the upper floors. Twice we were standing waiting for the elevator, once loaded with golf clubs, etc. Both times, a staff person with a large wheeled-table, smiled at us when the elevator arrived, got on and pushed the close button. There wasn't room for us and the wheeled table, so we waited for the next elevator. In a luxury hotel, I expect the staff to step aside when a guest approaches to use the elevator. (My husband and I stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua, Maui in June. This never happened at the Ritz. Consistently, the staff would step aside, insist that we take the elevator even though we insisted we were not in a hurry. Not happening at the Inn and Spa at Loretto.)

Another example - we drove up to the valet after a round of golf. My girlfriend had her hands full in the back seat and was waiting for the valet to open the door for her. He was waiting on her to open the door for herself so he could take the car. When she finally got out of the car, he explained that there is a lever on the interior for her to open the door for herself. Again, an exchange such as this should not happen at a luxury hotel.

Another example, my friend's husband suffers from headaches often triggered by wine. Even one glass will cause a reaction, but we have found one that doesn't bother him. We brought a bottle with us in our luggage and went to the bar to ask for wine glasses. (There is a small patio on the Cohen floor where we planned to enjoy the wine.). The bartender declined saying that the hotel prefers that the guests buy the wine from the hotel. At a luxury hotel, this does not happen.

In summary, we were all uncomfortable for the five nights we stayed. We discussed moving hotels after the first night but were concerned to what extent the hotel would penalize us. Our total bill for five nights was ~$1400. This was not a good value in my mind and we will not be back. We were very excited to stay here after visiting the bar on one of our earlier trips, but the hotel did not meet our expectations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank K M
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear K M,

I’m disappointed to learn that your stay did not meet your expectations and appreciate your detailed feedback. Your comments regarding less than satisfactory service were thoroughly reviewed and immediately addressed with the entire staff. Regarding the bathroom amenities, we deliberately opted to use shower caddys with pumps in our effort to decrease the amount of waste accumulated from personal size toiletries. This is just one of the many steps we have taken to become a certified Green Key property. However, we are always happy to supply personal-sized bathroom amenities to guests who prefer this option.

I would also like to provide you information about some of our larger rooms and two bedroom suites. These rooms offer a lighter more contemporary esthetic, as well much mores space then our traditional rooms and private balconies. From your review I believe one of these rooms would be much more suited to your needs and provide you with a very comfortable stay.

I sincerely hope you will consider staying with us again as I know we can deliver the exceptional four diamond service we are known for.

Tom McCann, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
San Antonio
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Wow! What can I say...The staff was extremely accommodating considering that my (3) room choices were incorrect based upon the number of guests that I was bringing. The staff truly went above and beyond their duties to ensure a pleasant experience for 3 generations of my family during the July 4th Holiday week. I appreciate the attentive service, the prompt repairs when necessary, and more than enough thoughtful comments, directions to locations, and recommendations for good cuisine. A definite choice for future visits and possibly small business conferences. Thank you all for a wonderful experience. Planning a visit, please enjoy it - a wonderful experience just off of the Square. And the art displays in the park, the Pancake Breakfast on the Square and the antique auto show really made everyone's July 4th a great day. Best regard, Dr. A

Room Tip: I would choose a room with a small balcony so that you can see the town or the mountains.
Green Features: Appropriate environmental friendly practice given its 5 star rating.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DoctorArnemann
Dear DoctorArnemann,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and truly appreciate the time you took to post a review. Knowing you will return for leisure, and possibly a business meeting, is the best compliment we could receive. We are honored to have hosted you and your family over July 4th weekend and look forward to celebrating many more holidays with you. Thank you again. We hope your travels bring you back to Santa Fe, and the Inn, soon!

Tom McCann, General Manager, Inn and Spa at Loretto
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I was disappointed with the Inn & Spa at Loretto, which I rate as distinctly below expectations.

I was particularly peeved at having to pay for valet parking when my car was parked within just a few feet of the main entrance, though hidden from view. While I don't object to paying for on-site parking per se, the fact that using the valet is compulsory is frustrating: having to produce tips every time you want to sit in your car is a pain. $21 per night for parking is also pretty steep: I've paid less in city locations with much more limited space than Santa Fe.

Unfortunately, the balcony in my room was unusable as several pigeons had taken roost, shitting all over the place, and cooing and fighting at night. I tried to scare them off, but they kept returning. Some simple chicken wire would do the trick and prevent the birds returning.

Finally, the mini-bar in the room was described as an honour-bar. In the version of English that I speak, this means that it is left to the guest to be honourable and inform the establishment of what had been consumed, so that this can be added to the bill. At check-out, I was told that my card would be charged later for the mini-bar, when housekeeping had done their checks. I objected to this, as using my UK-registered card incurs a charge on each non-Sterling transaction. It also seems especially dishonourable to call into question the honour of an honourable guest who is reporting what he consumed from the honour-bar. If it's just a bar, Inn & Spa at Loretto, call it a bar, not an honour-bar.

My top tip on this hotel: save your pennies and go somewhere else. These scroungers make enough money on the guests that don't know any better. That won't be me again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Neil_London_78
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and were on the 2nd floor so we hardly had to use the elevator. The hotel is very charming with the historical prints in the halls. Even though we did not have a balcony, our room had big windows that open and the afternoon sun mixed with the rain gave the room a European feel. Breakfast on the outside patio restaurant is relaxing . We also tried the happy hour in the lobby/library after 9 pm and it's a large comfortable lounge with a fireplace and a friendly staff. The location of the hotel is central to the museums and walking around the various shops. I was happy that mgt would send us a Santa Fe brochure before our visit.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I agree with those who stated that they thought this would be a higher end hotel than it was. We had a lovely room with a balcony and though small, it was comfortable. Parts of it were a little shabby and the armchairs definitely needed a thorough cleaning. No turndown service. Wish there had been a listing of tv channels as I never seemed to be able to find that. Also, some channels worked and some didn't--seemed to be a connection issue because I had to reposition it "just so" every day after the housekeeper came to get clear reception. Spa was wonderful with great service but rather expensive. Same for the restaurant, but the food and service there at dinner was TRULY SPECTACULAR. Breakfast was another story--still wonderful food but exceedingly slow service and poorly trained staff. The last morning of my stay, I called room service several times to order breakfast and never could reach anyone. I ended up calling the front desk who had the restaurant call me back, but by that time, I'd already dressed and picked up a croissant from the bakery a couple blocks away. Bar/lounge is open late, but doesn't serve food, so no convenient place to have a bite after the opera. Overall, it was a good trip, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to return to this hotel. Better to find someplace where I get more what I pay for.

Green Features: Pretty standard (towel on floor means replace, on hook means ill use it another day). I didn't notice anything else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maggie8276
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Maggie,

We sincerely appreciate the time to post a review and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, as well as dinner and your spa treatment. I am however disappointed to learn that your experience with breakfast and in-room dining did not meet the level of exceptional service we are known for. Please know these issues were immediately addressed with the team. We have also inspected the room you stayed in and replaced the missing TV guide and fixed the faulty TV reception. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused during your stay. Regarding the Living Room, we do serve a light fare from 2pm – 11pm daily, however I know the Opera can go quite late so this may not have accommodated your needs. Please know however that we are looking into a possible solution for late night dining during Opera season.

Thank you again for your valued feedback and patronage. We do hope you’ll consider a stay with us again in the future as I know we can make it a memorable one.

Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and arrived early as we had only driven from Taos. The reception staff were helpful in allocating a room which was ready for us immediately.

The room was large enough for 4 - 2 queen beds. We were overlooking the church next door which provided a nice view. The bathroom was good and well supplied with towels. My only comment would be that the room would benefit from another mirror - there was only one in the bathroom so if someone was in the bathroom it was inaccessible to others. I'm also not too happy about using a hairdryer in the bathroom but there was nowhere else.

We used the pool which was in a beautiful garden and quiet on the day we were there - at least it was until our boys jumped in! There were plenty of loungers and towels and the bar staff checked regularly if we needed anything.

There was a charge of $21 for parking and $15 for "hotel services". As these are unavoidable, I think they should be included in the room price which was otherwise very reasonable.

We appreciated that the same guy on the valet park also took our bags to our room - so only one tip needed. Some of the big hotels have separate valet parking and bellboys so you have shed out several tips before you have even got to your room which is totally unnecessary.

The hotel is well located - only a few minutes from the main square.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thomas M, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Rachel K!

Thank you for taking the time to review the Inn and Spa at Loretto. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. You feedback regarding additional mirrors in the room has been noted and will be taken into consideration. Thank you for your compliments to our pool, amenities and valet team. We hope your travels bring you back to Santa Fe and the Inn soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Our stay was brief, but we did have dinner that night & everyone that worked there was very nice. There was 1 busboy (man) that went way above & beyond to help tell us where to go eat for lunch, etc. He was even "off" & still made it a point to help us. All of his recommendations proved great! I think that the front desk staff wasn't as warm & fuzzy as I would have liked & not that knowledgeable, nor did they offer much help. Seemed as if they were busy amongst themselves. It is a great location & hooked on to an amazing holy landmark that was very interesting. Great walking distance to everything you want to do there......My favorite place on this trip was Hotel Andaluz in Albuquerque - beautiful, best toiletries ever & HUGE rooms!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Tanya L