“Clean, reasonably priced. Not everything works.”

The Santa Fe Suites
Ranked #48 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Greeley, Colorado
“Clean, reasonably priced. Not everything works.”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel is located at the back of a shopping center about 3 blocks from I-25. Despite the address on St. Francis Drive, the entrance is actually off of the cross street, Zia Rd. I stayed 3 nights in a studio suite with queen bed. The room, measuring about 15 x 22 ft., was quiet and clean. It was newly carpeted and had a two-seat sofa, coffee table, walk-in closet and 26”CRT TV including Showtime. A counter with stools divides the small kitchen from the bedroom / living room. The kitchen has full fridge, microwave and two-burner stove, but only one burner works. No oven or toaster. The clunky garbage disposal shakes the earth when turned on, and I avoided it. There’s a single-cup coffeemaker. Two single-serve coffee packs are provided the first day, but after that they are not replaced, and you’re on your own for coffee. There are plenty of dishes, glassware and silverware, but no kitchen knives. Fortunately, I had a pocket knife with me. Cookware included one small sauce pan and a skillet so badly damaged I couldn’t use it. I went to the nearby Albertson’s supermarket and bought a pot for cooking pasta. No dish cloth is provided. The kitchen towel was removed by housekeeping after the first day and was not replaced. The bath with tub-shower is accessible via the kitchen. A hair dryer is provided. Scalding hot water is prompt and plentiful. Industrial-type bath towels are adequate but scratchy. An ironing board is provided, but there is no iron (?) There is free wi-fi, but the signal is sometimes too weak even to log on. It is stronger when there is less usage in early mornings and late at night. No bedside clock is provided. Be aware that the bedside telephone can be self-programmed for wake-up calls. Many guests leave the hotel without turning off the programmed phone alarm, which means you could be awakened at an unwelcome hour (as I was) if you do not re-set or cancel the alarm. There is daily maid service. Fresh bath and hand towels are delivered separately in the afternoon. Breakfast in a small room off the lobby includes hot and cold cereals, toast, pastries, coffee and juice. Check-in and check-out were easy, and the staff is friendly and helpful. There is plenty of free parking. The shopping center in which the hotel is located includes an Albertson’s supermarket that also sells beer and wine. There are also a few modestly priced restaurants close by. For the price this place is OK if you’re willing to put up with some inconveniences.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Glenmere7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Four years ago this was a very friendly and affordable place to stay with dogs. Since then facilities have shown a lot of age. Front desk staff was less than friendly. Shredded, stained carpets in room; cigarette burns on blankets, etc. Room service was spotty at best. On our last day, there was no housekeeping service at all, except to remove our used linens (and not replacing with new). SFS claimed to be "pet friendly" but when our small, well behaved dogs were left in room (in their travel cage) for a short while housekeeping did not make beds, etc and left note in our door lock stating that we had hung "Do Not Disturb" tag on door (CYA). When I went to front desk to ask why we were not given housekeeping service we were told "Housekeeping will not clean room while dogs are in the room" (never stated in their policies or website). There was also no explanation of why this did not afford us refund for the extra pet-friendly charge. If your dogs travel with you, there are a multitude of better places in Santa Fe.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S H

Travellers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

Fenton, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My second time staying, even thought I knew from my previous stay that the hotel was a little on the shabby side . But I chose to stay again for the location, price, nearby grocery store, really friendly staff, and cleanliness. I travel very light, so I like that there is a clean laundry room, & it seems all the washers/dryers work. Parking is practically out your apartment door. The area feels safe. Updates to bedding would be great. I plan on staying at the Suites again on future visits to Santa Fe.

Room Tip: If you check into your suite and need something, hair dryer, pans, coffee maker -- just ask. They w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Becky T
New York
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a well-located, attractive, budget hotel perfect for our week at the Santa Fe Opera. Close to I-25, it has excellent access to the opera, shopping, casinos and sightseeing. A car is an absolute must, but a supermarket, Sandwich Shop, pharmacy, nail salon and Papa Murphy's is a 5 minute stroll from the suites. Old Town is about 15 minutes away, so it's the best of both worlds. Housekeeping was efficient and gracious (it helps to have a little Spanish), but sometimes it took until 4pm to have my room done.

The staff is excellent, the bed a bit soft, but comfortable, and the little kitchenette with fridge, microwave and dishwasher was great. I had dish washer powder and a sparse collection of silverware, while my family's unit had more dishes and glasses, but no dish washer soap. Anything you need can be picked up at the nearby Albertson's or asked for at the front desk where everyone was very accommodating.

Breakfast was from 5:30 to 9:30 and had variety of juices, Danish, breads, English muffins, cereals, and coffee. The only real negative was that unit doors don't have a chain or a bolt for added security, so bring your own old fashioned door stopper for especially if traveling alone. For the price, I'd say that the Santa Fe Suites gets 5 Stars as a budget hotel and is a great place to stay if you have access to a car. I'll definitely return for my next Opera Week!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank maresy54
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Everything is old, musky, carpets are gross, it looks like cigarettes were put out on it and it's been around for a very, very long time.

The rooms look like small apartment, quite cute from the outside, if one ignores all the cigarette butts everywhere.

Cigarette smell everywhere, not just in front of room.

Kitchen: One knife, one fork, one

Bathroom: Small, yet adequate. Shower was only luke warm for 10 minutes, and the water pressure wasn't great. Drain looks gross.

Front desk: Asked whether all the beds were the same (old futon on an old box spring), he said, yea, kinda." I then asked whether the sheets never fit (ours were way too small for the bed, he said "Well, I'm at the front desk, I don't know." So, I asked if he'd tell housekeeping, and he just said they were gone.
We needed to get soap and detergent since the housekeeping forgot... he did give us those items, along with a blanket we asked for (old, thin sheet and "blanket" on the "bed"). The reason for us not returning: Mostly his conduct.
Sleeping in the bed was no fun, considering it's a very old futon with not much for covers, and I'm glad we "only" paid $67.

Town is 10 minutes away, the lake around 20, driving. Plenty of restaurants, including a gluten-free bakery/sandwich shop. With a car, the location is fine.

VERY LOUD. Hearing neighbors talking, cars moving... constant. 7am: I'm not sure if it was the trash truck.. I just know that it woke everybody and kept everybody in the complex awake. Other than that, the noises in the room are crazy-loud. The fridge, the air conditioner, the fan in the bathroom... and other noises we couldn't figure out where they were coming from.

Allergies are high after the night here; breathing is difficult with the smoke all over the property, and the unwashed bed stuff combined with the old carpet didn't help either.

The TV was placed in a way that one could only watch when setting up a wooden chair a few feet from it. No way to watch from the "bed" or the "couch (which we kept away from)."

is this a joke... the webpage for this hotel says: "Stay at the Best Among Hotels in Santa Fe, NM" ????????????? They also speak of "generous amenities..." They are referring to wifi, laundry, full kitchen and continental breakfast included.

We didn't use the laundry facilities, we did notice that they had several washers and dryers available, though.

Room Tip: room 228 is upstairs, at the same level and next to 3 rooms; one of them is a smoking room. It smell...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here twice while visiting family and just needing something basic and inexpensive. The pros are that it was clean, it has a small kitchenette, and the staff are friendly and helpful. However, the mattress and bedding are definitely substandard. The sheets are thin and the two small pillows were not adequate or comfortable. The bottom sheet was not fitted, and continually came loose from the mattress. The mattress was lumpy. Two other suggestions..please add a hook tho the bathroom door, and add a blow dryer.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dunkirk, Maryland
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We were a late arrival, so I guess the "good" rooms were all gone. The first room had filthy pet-stained carpets and smelled like smoke so bad that we immediately asked to be moved. We knew we couldn't sleep there. Smelled like someone had been smoking in there 10 minutes ago. We had SPECIFICALLY requested NON-SMOKING ACCOMMODATIONS! The second room was a bit better; it had cigarette burns in the carpet and smelled slightly of smoke, but we stayed there one night because they had no more rooms. We saw the manager in the morning and demanded to be moved. He was very accommodating and gave us another room. The third room had some electrical issues that were being repaired so we could not get in until later in the day, but that was okay as were were gone the entire day anyway. We just left our bags in the car and moved them in that evening. The rest of our stay was uneventful. The decor of the rooms was dated and in the 2nd room the coffee pot was broken and there was no hairdryer, but they gave me one at the front desk.. The continental breakfast was adequate, but not good--mostly starchy foods, little fruit, and no hot food unless you count instant oatmeal as hot food. It was okay, but I wouldn't stay there again. We had booked through Priceline.com so the price was non-refundable unless we went through them, which we would have done if the manager had not been able to offer us an adequate room.

Room Tip: This looked like a charming and quaint hotel from the internet pictures, but it was really rather da...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends