“Boarders between average and good”
Review of Umami Burger

Umami Burger
Reserve with OpenTable
Umami Burger is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 214 Restaurants in Thousand Oaks
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stevensville, Montana
“Boarders between average and good”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

First experience to Umami Burger based on friends recommendations- in fact they cam with us. Lunch on a rainy day so the place wasn't packed. Ordered the "Manly" burger with onion rings and cheese poppers. Burger was cooked as asked- medium rare, onion rings had three kinds of dipping sauce. Very good service which is always a plus.

This is one of those places that after you leave you think: I will come back if friends go. Not that feeling that you need to rush back to.

It's a burger joint and burgers are either great or not. There are a couple other burger places in Thousand Oaks that I feel are much muh better- not only quality but price.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank ral05

Simi Valley
“Best veggie burger even if your not vegetarian!”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Their menu is simple..but their burgers are unique and delicious! Their classic burger is juicy and generous and they must butter that bun, because the bread is soft and melts in your mouth! The veggie burger does not look like a veggie burger..it is made with beets and carmelized onions...wow! If you want a gourmet burger this is the place to go! Oh and you gotta have the cherry pie!

Visited June 2012
Ventura
“This is one southern California trend that after what I had yesterday just needs to stop”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

First off if any of you have read my reviews you know that I do enjoy well made food whether high or low end. Infact this past July I gave The Burger Bar in Las Vegas a 5/5rating and said that I had reached "Burger nirvana". So now comes along a southern california chain of gourmet hamburgers. According to the manager in the place he said there was roughly 14 and they were shooting for four more by years end and 40 by end of next year. He also said this brand new restaurant first two month hoopla had slown down for his restaurant that had only been in place for a few months and that they were already trying new things to get people in the door, example: The day that Im writing this review they are suppose to be starting up happy hour prices and that he wanted to get other food items in to compete with Claim Jumpers and P F Changes that is in the same mall. So I had heard so much so I finally was here to give it a try. I ordered the Unami burger 11.00 dollars, the Port and Stilton burger 11.00 dollars, thin fries 3.50 and a bottled water that they charged 3.00 dollars for. Well when I first walked in I came in through the back side door and walked up to the front counter. I noticed this place didn't have many people in it. They do have a few big screens with football on. After my order was finally taken I spoke with the manager for a few, as previous stated and he told me that their burgers are cooked on the norm between rare and med rare but closer to rare because of the grade and type of meat they use. So this burger Im guessing athis point was sort of on these lines (med rare) and at the Burger Bar where I picked some high end meat. So I asked the manager what type of meat does unami use his answer: short rib and..........wait for it.............ummmm.........errrrrrr........(cue cricket sounds here)........ he could not remember...... What ?!?!?! A gourmet burger place that goes out of their way to have some kind of special meat but the manager on duty can't even give me the answer (this is not looking good at this point). Well I finally got my burger and I had to remind him that I had not paid yet (gee maybe the reason your not making money is because your giving all your product away). So I finally got my burger opened it up out of the paper and the first thing I notice is a letter U on the top on bun (look I dont eat those Mcgriddle things and I dont need any other letters on my food unless its good ol' alphabets cereal.....lol). I started with their flagship unami burger. This was raw, I say again raw not rare inside and the taste is something that I promise you good readers will never pass these lips again. Then I tried the port stilton burger and it was two flavors that did just the opposite of complimenting each other. The fries reminding me almost of those lil thin fry sticks they used to have in the cans year ago. The best thing was that over price water that I had to wash the taste out of my mouth. Now to be fair I will say that they do offer several different burgers. They are all quite small in size and Im sure if I went through the trouble of trying them all (which I wont) Id probably find one or more that I would like but dude get your burger to at least rare to med rare as promised. I still dont know what grade or cuts of beef are in the burger (since manager never did come back and tell me) besides short rib but at least get the middle past raw. Also teach your cooks how to get it right. Believe me I am not somebody that likes my meat overcooked at all but these two small 11 dollar burgers were not getting it done on any level. I hate to leave such a review but I can tell you I have no desire to step into an Unami burger again. Let me review, no one to greet you at the door but the guy behind the bar that looks like ben stiller saying you never had a unami burger where you been ( perhaps eating properly cooked good food and living where there is not one of your 14 stores in my area). The place itself was clean but the look of it they were going for a futuristic 50's restaurant look but with the staff and what was on tv, almost seemed they were serving to the "rich thousand oaks want-a-be" blue collar crowd (if there is such a group). They also had a display case where they were pimping 7 or so different funky sauces for sale (sorry I dont need to spritz my burger with your spray thank you). Good Luck to you Unami, maybe I just caught you on a bad day but after being open for several months already I wont be comming back.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Jedimasterkush
California
“Yummy Burgers at Umami!”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I ate at Umami Burger for the first time to celebrate my Birthday with my family and some friends. The restaurant is located in a beautiful outdoor mall with plenty of parking in the back.

We ordered:
Umami Burger - shiitake mushroom, caramelized onions, roasted tomato, parmesan crisp, umami ketchup $11
Truffle Burger - house-made truffle cheese, truffle glaze $12
Manly Burger - beer-cheddar cheese, smoked salt-onion strings, bacon lardon $11
Sweet Potato Fries $4
Regular Thin French Fries $3.50
Cheesy Tater Tots (not on the menu)

For dessert, they have organic gourmet ice cream from LA Creamery. We got the Maple Bacon ice cream, and the Salted Creme Brulee ice cream. $3.50 for one scoop; $4.95 for two scoops. Everything was delicious!

I loved the Umami Burger and the Truffle Burger. Next time, I'll try a different burger. I heard the Green Burger (turkey) and the Ahi Tuna Burgers were excellent!

• Visited October 2012