“Best Steak”

Mastro's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 222 Restaurants in Thousand Oaks
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: S Conejo School Rd
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Mastros, Thousand Oaks, is much larger than Beverly Hills. It is much less noisy, and the bar area is large.
Their petit filet on the bone should not be missed, as most steakhouses do not serve it.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

From the moment you step through the door, into a beautiful restaurant, you know you're in for a great experience. This was my first meal at Mastros, and I'm sure it won't be my last. I wish we'd had more people in our party, so that we could have ordered more things to share, but the portions were large and I just couldn't eat that much. The house salad was great and I easily took half of it home (and had it for lunch the next day!). The filet was huge, tender, flavorful, and took half of that home, as well. Can't speak to how great their desserts are, as there was no way we had room for one. Perhaps next time with friends? But the real value of Mastros is in their service. From the valet personnel who hold open the door for you, to the hostess who offers you a black linen napkin, for a black outfit. Anyone who has had to pick little pieces of white linen napkin off a black dress, will appreciate this thoughtfulness! Our waiter (Pete) went above and beyond and made our night. He was attentive, without hovering, gave us time to make our decisions, and made suggestions based on our questions. I took awhile deciding and never felt rushed. He was in a word: AWESOME! Sorry other waitstaff at Mastros, but when I return, I am definitely requesting Pete!

Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Valet parking. Super nice interior. Piano music. Excellent service. The best meat in a long time. Dessert to die for but almost too much to eat after main course. Great wines!

Kobe meat quite affordable, in comparison to western Europe.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

definitely not worth the price. service was fine, not special. food was good , not great. better steaks can be had elsewhere, for less. when our second bottle of wine arrived our idiot server actually told us the second bottle of wine was always served colder than the first . overpriced.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Birthday dinner for my wife tonight, and our first time there. Heard really good things about this restaurant, and read a few negative reviews, usually associated with complaints of poor service. Our experience was that service was great. Very attentive staff, but not-in-your-face overdoing it. Granted, our reservations were at 5:30 on a Saturday, and maybe later in-the-evening weekend reservations could be different. But we had a leisurely 2 1/2 hour dinner, never felt rushed, and the place filled up quickly. The other tables seemed like they were getting equal attention. Food: my wife had the petite filet and I had the 12oz bone-in filet. Both were ample cuts of meat. My wife's steak cut like butter; my steak was good but not great, but I blame myself for ordering it medium rare instead of rare like my wife did. When we ordered our salads our waiter recommended we order 1/2 portions as he said the regular size are like dinners. Based on the half order size, we agreed with him. We split sides of green beans almondine, and twice baked stuffed potato. Large portions. Ordered a bottle of delicious Argentine Malbac (based on our selection, and scanning the bottle's bar code with an iPhone app I have, they mark the wines up about 3 times the average retail price). Our mistake was gorging on the bread basket to start us off. But what a great variety of breads! For dessert they brought us their signature warm butter cake with a large side of fresh whipped cream, on the house for my wife's B-day. Splitting the delicious dessert, it was ample for both our sweet teeth. Our tab was just south of $200 without tip. Pricy but for that special occasion, worth it to us. We'll be going back.