“Pleasantly surprised--excellent stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Pleasantly surprised--excellent stay”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

It was my birthday weekend, so my husband and I at the last minute tried to book a 3-4 star hotel. All the places we checked, however, were sold out. So we booked a night at this Best Western Plus---and we're glad we did.

The front-desk clerk was friendly, efficient and helpful, and she gave us a great room on the top floor facing away from the freeway. The room was recently renovated--it looked just as polished as a more upscale hotel. The bathrooms, granted, are small, but the water pressure was excellent. We also had a balcony, so we could sit outside in the cool night air.

We also checked out a couple of DVD movies for free from the front desk, which was a nice perk, and breakfast was GREAT. A new tapas restaurant opened next door - TOI Tapas - and it also serves breakfast. The BW front desk gives each person in your party a $5 voucher for use in the restaurant. Most of the entrees are only $5, or you can upgrade for a more substantial breakfast --- I recommend doing so. The french toast with fruit chutney and potatoes was delicious, as were my eggs and cappuccino. Wow. And instead of typical paper plates, your food is served on thick white ceramic dishes, which you eat with real flatware and cotton (not paper) napkins. Our server was also SO nice! We will be back for a tapas dinner (and FYI, there is a happy hour every weekday).

Other pluses: Ample free parking. Free Wifi. As for downsides, I can only think of one: The pool is small, and it's near the freeway (although there is a pool that blocks some of the noise). We were too busy exploring Ventura and Carpinteria, though, so we didn't even have time to use the pool.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
fxwang, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Thousand Oaks Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
I'm very happy to know that we were able to be a part of your birthday weekend. We do know that the pool is very important for a California hotel, especially during the summer. (Of course, here in Southern California our outdoor pool is open all year long!) Although we cannot enlarge the pool, we just started our pool area upgrade, which began today with new landscaping that includes dense greenery that will grow to over 12 feet tall. Once fully grown, this will provide the pool area an additional barrier to noise and wind, which will allow us to add canopies, outdoor livingroom sets, etc. to enhance our guests' experience. In addition, the pool area will extend from the Library Lounge serving lite snacks and cool, fresh beverages, such as a cucumber martini, sangria, and more.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This is a recently acquired hotel for Best Western, so it is going through a bit of transition to include new beds, remodeled bathrooms and new sheets & towels. Unfortunately, the colors of the carpet, drapes and bedspread are not appealing-mostly reds and browns. The furniture is old and tired. I am hopeful they will do a total remodel of the rooms in the near future. The best part of my stay was the breakfast. Typically, a BW breakfast is self service and just average, but this hotel offers a full service breakfast from the hotel's restaurant with excellent service. You receive a $5 voucher that can be used towards a a free continental breakfast or full hot breakfast that compares to some of the best I have ever had. I paid a difference of $2.50 for this upgrade. I know BW typically includes a breakfast with your stay, but this was much better in my opinion. I hope they keep this restaurant open and continue to offer this perk for my next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the 101 freeway
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The room we were in was facing the freeway which was ridiculously noisy all night. The carpet in the very small room wasn't laid properly and we constantly tripped on it. The staff would not even consider changing our room without charging us more even though we are regular Best Western customers. The waitress in the restaurant in the morning for the very small breakfast was incredibly rude and lazy. Horrible experience overall.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vanc0uverBC2010
fxwang, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Thousand Oaks Inn, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
I am truly disappointed how we failed to give you the fine accommodations and consideration that we strive for with all our guests - the type of service that we pride ourselves in. There is no excuse for not addressing the concerns with your room during your stay. As a Best Western Ride Rewards member, we should have offered you an upgraded, larger, and quieter room away from the freeway without an additional charge.

Thank you for your candor and sharing the details of your stay with me. I have reviewed the manner that your concern was handled, so we can focus on training and improving our communication and customer service to better serve our guests. I am glad, that in the end, we were able to address your concerns and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to California.

Mayra Zuniga
Director of Rooms
Temple City, California
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Check in was swift and easy. I booked the room through Hotwire the day of check-in. I was given a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the freeway. I was told that if I wanted to change it to a lower floor that would be fine. I decided to tough it out. I was awakened at 3:00 AM to the sound of jackhammers on the freeway. I went to the front desk to complain. The clerk told me that the hotel is not informed what area of the freeway they will be working on each night, but the night before was worse! She offered to move me to the other side of the courtyard, not overlooking the freeway. My husband was sleeping so I told her I'd have to check with him!
We decided not to move our luggage. The next evening was fine.
If the clerk who checked me in knew about the construction, why did he not offer to move me to the other side of the courtyard? Thumbs down to customer service in that respect.
Otherwise the stay was OK.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room not overlooking the freeway.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
fxwang, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Thousand Oaks Inn, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Thank you for staying with us. We do apologize for the construction on the 101 freeway. Caltrans has been working all over the 101 freeway from Ventura to Los Angeles. Of course, when we are aware of potential noise disturbances, aside from normal ambient noise surrounding the hotel, we will always be proactive to move guests away. Unfortunately, the construction schedule for the 101 freeway does not appear to be consistent, and neither Caltrans nor the crews are able to give us notice of the work they will be doing.

As you noted, though, when a disturbance does happen, our staff does our best to provide our guests with options, including changing rooms. I wish we know when they will be jackhammering and making noise (or even working on the section in front of the hotel), so we may take action before our guests check-in. Thankfully, it appears that the section in front of the hotel is almost complete, so we hope there will not be any more late night disturbances.
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 19 June 2011

You may think of Best Western as being just another road side motel, but many of them are so much more than that--way more. Apparently, they have different levels of stay, and this one is a Best Western PLUS--definitely a step or two above the usual.

We've stayed at this Best Western/Thousand Oaks 2 years in a row to attend the Tour of California cycling race, where, as it turns out, some of the crew tends to stay. It's perfectly situated for this event, but it's also a wonderful stay in general. Entrances are secured with key cards and there are elevators to the upper 2 floors. The staff is both professional and friendly and the amenities are very nice, including a better than average breakfast spread (though we prefer to walk a few blocks north to Mimi's Cafe for something a bit more). There's a large selection of DVDs in the lobby that can be checked out to view in your room (If you can't figure out how it works, they're more than happy to come and set it up). They also have free WiFi, but if you didn't bring your laptop, they have a free stand-at computer in the lobby for internet access--if it's working. This last time it had been working when we arrived, but then at some point needed a reboot. Unfortunately, only the Manager had the authority to do this, and he wasn't available until the next afternoon. That meant that we didn't have internet access for our entire stay, which was a real drag and caused us to loose out on an ebay bid. The bottom line--management needs to learn to delegate when they're not there!

The rooms we've had, considered "facing the freeway," are a bargain. Yes, they do face the 101, but when you're in the room with the doors closed, there's no noise. If you want to open up the sliding back door--to perhaps have a smoke on the patio--that's another story. (Just make sure you close the sliding door so it doesn't waft back into the room!)

Now to the particulars of the room--WONDERFUL! The mattress is so amazing, and apparently by Sealy for hotels (I've experienced this at other Best Westerns in the US, ie. D.C.). Everyone should have this mattress--it's a GREAT sleep. (Only my review of a Temperpedic in Palm Desert could prevail!) Anyway, did I mention it's a GREAT sleep?! The lighting is faux Tiffany lamps that provide a warm and comforting glow, at different levels of need. The shower head is very good, and there's an in-room coffee maker and mini fridge, plus an ice machine down the hall. There's also a central courtyard for dining and reading the provided daily newspaper. This is truly a relaxing room and stay. Absolutely stay here! And while you're in the area, check out the Wood Branch BBQ and Grill in Agoura Hills--GREAT food and ambience among surrounding antique stores.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janoclock
Colorado
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We paid what feels like a lot for this hotel, but at the same time it was Saturday night on Memorial Day weekend. We were road-tripping from San Diego to San Fran on Highway 1 and didn't plan ahead, since we didn't know where we would want to stay the night. This was the ONLY place we could find within a 40 mile radius...and I think every hotel that had a vacancy knew it and charged for it! This place was WAY better than the one other place that we had found a vacancy for the same price.

I will give it to them, the gentleman at the front counter that evening has to be one of the nicest people we encountered in the hospitality sector while on our nine day journey, so kudos for that! It turns out we got the last room in the place (just happy to have a room at this point). The space was clean and tidy, a little dated, but who cares as long as the room is clean. We had heard a group staying at the hotel had been loud the night before, but we didn't hear a thing. There was a really cute courtyard in center of the hotel that would have been nice to hang out in if it had been a little warmer. All in all a cute place to stay.

Free breakfast in the morning was very pleasant, and it was nice to eat out by the pool before continuing on our journey.

I would stay here again, especially if we are greeted by the friendly gent at the counter, what a sweet and proper guy!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TakeMeToo78
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I was treated with courtesy by all staff members. The room was clean, spacious and a very comfortable bed. I really enjoyed the wide variety of foods at the continental breakfast. I highly recommend the TO Best Western

• Stayed April 2011
Courtyard Thousand Oaks Ventura County
Hyatt Regency Westlake
Hyatt Regency Westlake
#2 of 4 in Westlake Village

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Thousand Oaks Inn? Share your experiences!