“Work in Progress, but Good Enough”
Review of Palm Garden Hotel

Palm Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Overall, I had a good stay and thought the place was quite reasonable for the price (using the online AAA rate). From what I gathered, the Palm Garden was acquired by new management who is renovating basically the entire facility. This has some pros and cons.

Pros:
- Grounds: The courtyard gardens, gazebo, and pool area is very pretty. It's also very quiet, despite being close to the highway. The original architect must have been pretty good at his job.
- Staff: Management was responsive and friendly. They were apologetic for problems, even if they couldn't currently fix them.
- Food/Drink: They give you daily breakfast and drink coupons for the hotel bar. The breakfast was tasty and had bacon, oatmeal, yogurt, and fruit. How can you go wrong with those? It's also walking distance to a good Indian place.
- Room Amenities: While older, I actually found the rooms quite nice. They had a large minifridge, microwave, and coffee maker. All told, I found them quite spacious and comfy. The AC was also very effective. The beds were comfy too and I slept well.
- Piano Keyboard: My wife needed to practice some piano in the lobby and they were very nice about letting her work on her pieces that she needed to play later that week.

Cons:
- Internet: Ugg. The number one con. They actually have two problems with the internet: too few routers and a server problem. The routers is the issue we saw in our first room, before we requested to change. The signal strength was just terrible. They nicely moved us to a new room where the connection was solid, but the internet still had problems. Chrome seemed to work better than other browsers on this, for some reason. Basically, their server that connects to the web is misconfigured and drops the ball every minutes when you try to request a page. Liveable for email, maps, and searching, but useless for entertainment (e.g. streaming), telecommunications (e.g. Skype), or advanced stuff (e.g. version control, file transfers, etc). Thankfully there's a Starbucks a short walk down the road or I would have missed a Skype meeting. They were aware of the server issue and had a tech guy scheduled to look at it, but internet issues should be a same-day fix, not a "someday" fix. To note, this problem not only affects the customers but the staff as well (their office internet also drops its connections).
- Printing: They don't have a business center area for printing due to the renovations. They'll print out things for you at the front desk, but I'd recommend finding a Fedex if you need anything more than a boarding pass (their printer was not exactly high quality).
- Renovation: The Palm Garden was going under some pretty extensive renovations when I stayed there for almost a week. No less than a dozen rooms were actively being modernized. On the bright side, it means they'll have renovated rooms available soon (one near us had just been painted and carpeted, so it's probably fairly close). On the dark side, it means that there will be some occasional work noise if you're around during the afternoon.

All told, while it was a bit of a mixed bag, I'd definitely recommend the place unless you need advanced internet in your room. Given the prices of hotels in area, it's better than anything else you'll get in the vicinity. The renovations are a mixed bag, however. Once they're done, the place will probably target mid-sized conferences and resort-type stays and their rates will probably increase significantly.

So for right now, it's a good budget option in the region.

Room Tip: If internet is important to you, ask about getting a good room for it at check-in. If internet is R...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ben N
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Greetings "Ben M",

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to submit a TripAdvisor Review about your most recent stay with us at The Palm Garden Hotel. It is thoughtful comments and suggestions such as yours that we take into account while renovating and improving all parts of this wonderful hotel. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed several details of the hotel, including the grounds, the room amenities, as well as our wonderful staff.

We take a very serious approach to guest service at our hotel, so that all guest needs are met quickly and always friendly. I do want to apologize for any inconvenience that our internet service caused during your stay. It is true that we are in the process of updating our Wireless Internet as well as renovating the entire hotel and restaurant. This process should be done quite quickly and we have many of the rooms already finished to this date!! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, and again thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review, have a wonderful day!!

Warm Regards,

Ryan E Burns
Director of Front Office Operations

There are newer reviews for Palm Garden Hotel

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Booked in here for Memorial Weekend due to location. First I was put in a room that looked and smelt like there had been a water accident. It smelt damp and mouldy. The wifi was weak and choppy I complained but was ignored at first, but after being more insistent, I was moved but the new room was more manageable, the wifi worked from here but I was unable to make calls from the room. I was here for a week and they were unable to rectify the problem. The breakfast was bland with not many options although the breakfast staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Under renovation so avoid rooms which haven't been renovated yet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank FileA5Fogg
StevenOrtmann, General Manager at Palm Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Good Afternoon,
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had experienced during your stay with us. We are currently in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms. I am happy to hear you were able to relocate to a newly remodeled room on a very busy weekend. We have been working with our internet provider to find ways to increase our services throughout the property. We will be increasing the Bandwidth within the next few days along with upgrading the equipment to make sure our guest are able to properly connect anywhere around the hotel. We do appreciate you taking the time to share about your experience as we value any and all feedback from our guest.
Thank you for staying with us and have a great day!

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Unless they do some major upgrades and repairs, don't stay here. The breakfast buffet was crowded and the area very dirty. They don't have enough staff to handle the breakfast rush. The rooms were not clean, including the nasty carpet, which I didn't walk barefoot on. Call in Hotel Impossible asap!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at the Palm Garden Hotel. We appreciate and value what our guests have to say about their stay with us. We are currently under new Ownership/Management and are in the process of a Two Million Dollar Renovation. We are upgrading the entire property but most importantly our guest rooms. In regards to your experience at breakfast, I do apologize for the inconvenience and I will look into how we can better serve our guest.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience as we look forward to having you stay with us in the future!

Thank you for staying with us and have a great day!

Reviewed 16 May 2012

My wife and I have stayed here numerous times over the past four years as our daughter completed her studies at California Lutheran University. Best thing about it: The breakfast. A cut above the Holiday Inn Express. Actual hot food. Waffles. Oatmeal. Eggs. Bacon. Also, breakfast attendant is excellent!
Now, about the rooms: showing their age. New ownership IS beginning a revamping of rooms, which is overdue. Personnel is kind and welcoming though they don't necessarily follow through (towels around the pool/checking into see if a meeting room was available for friends to hang out so we wouldn't be too loud around the pool at night). Last time we were there (May 12), they were having HUGE issue with room keys. Keys wouldn't work - for numerous guests. A major hassle. I would assume they will solve that issue.
Final thought: Since daughter just graduated, we will not be back . . . and wouldn't until I read about positive room upgrades and better employee attention to detail.

Room Tip: Avoid room near pool. Check noise of AC/Heater. Some work as they should. Others make too much no...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your visit with us. I am delighted to hear that your daughter has finished her studies at CLU. I will make sure to pass all the kind words to our breakfast staff as we make sure to always provide the best customer service to all of our guest. In regards to the rooms, we are currently undergoing a Two Million Dollar renovation and have been for the past two months. We are updating all of the guest rooms with new furniture, new 42” HD TV’s along with many more amenities. We have also addressed the issue regarding the room keys and will soon be replacing the actual door locks throughout the property.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience as we value any and all feedback regarding our guest stays.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 7 May 2012

I booked a stay at this hotel based on the many positive reviews on this site.

I understand that the hotel is undergoing massive rebuilding and that I shouldn't be put off by peeling paint and water-damaged roofing.

But I get the feeling that the rooms are the same as they were in the 60's and there is the problem:

1. Shower head connections spray water everywhere.
2. Television has no visible color controls and ends up looking like a black and white.
3. WiFi? Yeah, I was told on the first day that it would be "reset" in about a half hour. It never did come on. By the third day it wouldn't even show up on the network list of my laptop.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank denism

Good Morning,
I first would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had experienced while staying with us. I can imagine how frustrating it is to not have Internet access. As I’m sure you were made aware, we are currently under new Ownership and are undergoing a Two Million Dollar Renovation. We are renovating all the guest rooms along with the public areas. I understand you had some troubles with the TV in the room and we are working to replace all TV’s with 42” HD Flat Screens. We are also upgrading our internet services and working hard to do so. Although this process shouldn’t interrupt your Guest experience, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience as we value any and all feedback regarding our guest stays.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 2 May 2012

My fiance and I spent the weekend at the Palm Garden Hotel for the weekend. We had a great time. The hotel staff was fantastic. They had information on everything we needed for that weekend. I was able to get my work done. We loved the scenery, the beautiful folage/flowers, gazebo, pool and spa. It's a great place to go to relax and enjoy the weekend.By the way, breakfast was excellent!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
StevenOrtmann, General Manager at Palm Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at the Palm Garden Hotel. I am glad to hear that you and your Fiancé had a great time! We strive in making sure we provide excellent customer service and I am glad that my staff was able to accommodate all your needs. Our maintenance staff also does a great job to ensure our property is well maintained at all times and I am glad you had noticed! I will make sure to pass all the kind words to my staff. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you here in the future!

Thanks,

Steven Ortmann

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed here when visiting the nearby Camarillo Premium Outlets over the weekend. It was a clean hotel with adequate space. It was not noisy. Breakfast was good where they serve hot food and not just some muffin and fruits. Will stay here again next time I visit the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at the Palm Garden Hotel. We sincerely appreciate any and all comments from our guest and I am glad you had enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to your next stay here at the hotel!

Thanks,

Hyatt Regency Westlake
Hyatt Regency Westlake
#2 of 4 in Westlake Village
TownePlace Suites Thousand Oaks Ventura County

Been to Palm Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!