“Relaxing Visit - Nice Change of Pace”
Review of Palm Garden Hotel

Palm Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Uxbridge, Canada
“Relaxing Visit - Nice Change of Pace”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I don't usually stay at hotels like this (normally stay at larger chain hotels), but was pleasantly surprised. The inner courtyard is nice and there was a good outdoor seating area where I relaxed in the nice evening weather one night with a friend. The breakfast was good with cheerful staff helping keep everything refilled. I asked a lot of questions of the hotel reception and got a good restaurant recommendation in Malibu. The pub that was attached had good food (tried the blackened fish taco...) and the wait staff was very nice. My only strong recommendation is to ask for a courtyard room as anything that faced the highway would likely be loud based on the constant traffic. If you are OK with the walkout style rooms as opposed to internal with hallways then I think you will like this little gem.

Room Tip: Definitely courtyard. Don't stay on the highway facing rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
PalmGardenManager, Front Office Manager at Palm Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear PDM-CEO,

Firstly, I want to thank you for taking the time to submit a review through TripAdvisor.com. We take the experience of our guests in the highest regard and we focus on personal attention to make sure your stay is flawless.
It looks like you asked the right questions and we are always happy to help. I am glad you enjoyed our beautiful courtyard grounds and Brendan's food as well. I do agree an upgrade to our Courtyard rooms does allow our guests to experience the serenity of our property.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Corona
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Great value for the area. Rooms are not luxury. But, clean & comfy. Really good hot breakfast included. The grounds are 'woodsy' which give a resort-like feel. I didn't use the pool/spa/work-out room this time, but looks nice. I'll definitely come back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Wes B
PalmGardenManager, Front Office Manager at Palm Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Wes B,

I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed all our hotel has to offer. I sincerely hope you are able to enjoy our pool area during your next visit and get to enjoy our poolside service provided by Brendans.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

This was our second stay at the Palm Gardens -- and what a difference from our last visit. While the grounds are lovely and well kept up, the room was infested with ants, the wrong sheets were on the bed and kept coming off in the night, the AC was very loud, clicking on and off waking us several times. The room was worn, and there were several extension cords snaking haphazardly around the edges of the room. Most of the problems seemed the result of either poor housekeeping training or supervision, and with a little effort could be fixed.

Room Tip: Try the Hampton Inn across the street.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jackconly
Dear Jackconly,

I am saddened to hear your most recent stay with us was not as enjoyable as your last. I sincerely apologize for the conditions of the room and assure you every available measure has been taken to correct those flaws.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Amy & Emma are absolutely amazing! They go above and beyond to make u feel welcome & at home! N the hotel grounds are to die for! The rooms r so cute n have a great set up! I will b staying at this hotel only! I highly recommend you do too!

• Stayed December 2013
PalmGardenManager, Front Office Manager at Palm Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Auva,

It is a great reflection on our hotel when someone has such kind words as yours. We will make sure to pass on the glowing review of our staff's efforts and reward them appropriately.

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about our stay. It started out wonderfully. It's a very nice location, right of the freeway, Starbucks and grocery store next door. Brendan's Irish pub does amazing food and has great service. The hotel is more like a motel but with free parking, breakfast included, fridge in the room. The rooms are nothing exceptional but more than adequate. The grounds are simply wonderful with a heated pool and spa, lots of seatingspace (with heating at night). The gym is free of charge and has quite a few workout machines. It's about a 45 minute drive into Los Angeles and just 15 minutes from the Camarillo outlets if you want to do some outlet shopping.
My mixed feelings stem from the last night at this hotel. We arrived at our hotelroom to find the door wide open and lights on inside. We immediately checked and thank goodness all our things were still there and nothing was missing. At reception they thought it was probably housekeeping who had left the door open by accident. Since we came back at 11 pm this means the door of our room with all of our stuff in there (including our camera gear and laptop since we had just photographed a destination elopement on Curacao) had been open for hours on end.
We received sincere apologies from the front desk and a $5 Starbucks gift card. Nothing was missing so we didn't want to kick up a storm but I do feel other measures should have been taken in this case since it freaked us out big time.
Had this not happened, I would have loved to return to this place but now, I really won't. I highly value my belongings being safe in a locked hotelroom and here I'd never be sure of this again. Unfortunately.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anouschkar
PalmGardenManager, Front Office Manager at Palm Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Anouschkar,

I would like to apologize that your door was left open in your absence. We do pride ourselves on the safety and security of our guests and that is unacceptable. Our Director of Facilities and myself are investigating the mishap to ensure it does not happen again. I am thankful none of your belongings were out of place and that you enjoyed the majority of your stay.

Wailuku, Hawaii
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed for 5 days at the beginning of November 2013 to attend a wedding in nearby Calabasas. As a former Californian I felt right at home with the landscaping and layout of the property. It has a very lovely pool and hot tub. My husband really enjoyed the breakfast that was included in the price .... particularly the fried potatoes. I enjoyed eating breakfast on the patio, watching the hummingbirds and catching some sun. The room was very comfortable. The bathroom isn't huge but everything worked. The bed was very comfortable. The wireless was reliable with a good signal. It's right off of the 101 freeway but it's not noisy. There is a conveniently located Ralph's grocery store across the parking lot. Even though this hotel is technically in Ventura County it was an easy drive to Santa Monica and Hollywood. There is a huge upscale shopping mall (The Oaks) within a 5 minute drive. We will definitely stay here again when we visit the LA area.

Room Tip: We were on the "outer side" near the parking space which was convenient, but I think it wo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia233
PalmGardenManager, Front Office Manager at Palm Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear Patricia233,

I would like to say congratulations to your wedding party and we are glad you stayed with us. It is always an honor to hear a momentous occasion was accompanied with a wonderful stay. On behalf of The Palm Garden Hotel and Brendan’s Irish Pub, thank you again for staying with us while visiting Thousand Oaks. We sincerely hope to see you in the future. Have a wonderful day!!

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here for 2 nights in August 2013. The room was adequate size for us but not large. The room looked like it had been renovated in the past few years and was in good shape with everything functioning. The quality of furnishing was on par with a newer La Quinta. The room layout was the old motel style with sink part of the room at the back wall with the tub shower & toilet next to the sink behind a door. However, the rooms are not the type that one would want to stay in other than to sleep. It is the beautiful grounds that make this hotel. The grounds look as good as the pictures on the hotel website. First rate

Pool and spa were clean and well landscaped. There are even gazebo type sun shelters with high quality patio furniture spread around the pool. We spent a relaxing afternoon around the pool visiting with our LA area friends followed by a nice dinner at Brendans. In fact we had 3 great meals at Brendans during our short stay.

Our room came with hot breakfast which was satisfactory but not great. Eggs, bacon, sausage, a little fruit, etc. Best part was the breakfast room was right next to the pool so we could eat in the pool area and enjoy the morning sun.

Since our friends were coming from Camarillo and Sherman Oaks to see us at the hotel, this location was perfect for our stay. We were able to stay out of the valley and LA basin rat race which suited us just fine. We will stay here again on our next trip to So Cal even if we have to brave the traffic to go into LA.

Room Tip: We choose a room next to the pool so we could sit out on the expansive lawn chairs during the day. A...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Happy35394
PalmGardenManager, Front Office Manager at Palm Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Happy35394,

I am happy to see you had an overall enjoyable experience with us and value our location. I have made note of your desire for more from our rooms. We pride ourselves on providing the best stay imaginable, that includes our rooms and amenities. On behalf of The Palm Garden Hotel and Brendan’s Irish Pub, thank you again for staying with us while visiting Thousand Oaks. We sincerely hope to see you in the future. Have a wonderful day!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thousand Oaks
Hyatt Regency Westlake
Hyatt Regency Westlake
#2 of 4 in Westlake Village
Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village

Been to Palm Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!