“Scenic Historical Park”

Saratoga National Historical Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Site of the historic 1777 Battles of Saratoga, which represented the first significant victory for the rebels in the American Revolution. Today, the 3,200-acre park is a popular tourism and recreation site and a wildlife conservation area.
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I visited this park which was larger than it appeared. We first stopped at the visitor center where the staff and volunteers were friendly and welcoming to educate. The interpretive center was loaded with background and a great introduction to the park. The road led through the park where there were many stops that featured short trails. There were signs that pointed out the areas of interest at each stop which gave an excellent depiction of the battles that took place. Apart from the history, this park is beautiful with amazing opportunities to view wildlife as well. If the temperature was not so cold and windy, we would have stayed longer. Give yourself a good 3-4 hours to stop at each stop and walk each trail, especially if you enjoy reading every sign and marker. We visited for about 3 hours total, including the visitor center, and could have spent another 2 hours with all of the trails.

2  Thank Matthew S

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Found the short movie at the Visitor's Center well worth watching before we started the tour. the cell phone audio was excellent. Between the info it provided and my military history buff husband, I'm probably qualified to teach 1812 history now. If temps hadn't been in the high 90's with high humidity the day we were there, we'd have done more exploring of all the hiking trails around the park. Would love to come back someday when it's cooler and walk the whole area. But this trip, we were satisfied with just hitting each of the battlefield spots. Learned a whole different perspective on Benedict Arnold. Wasn't aware that before becoming a traitor to the US, he was a war hero at Saratoga. Was a beautiful, peaceful place the day we were there. Sad to imagine the death and bloodshed that went on there so many years ago.

2  Thank passlaw2
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Rangers were very informative and knowledgeable. The short 20 min flim was excellent. Will revisit again and leave spouse behind and spend more time.

1  Thank Bob S
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I have been a Revolutionary War buff for quite a few years, but living in the Midwest, I never got a chance to see the Saratoga National Historical Park. I am really glad I stopped by. The battlefield is really the best of all worlds, as you can tailor your experience to whatever you want to do. There is a serviceable Interpretation Center with a really good 20 minute film. It is worth the visit just to see the Center. A driving route takes you around to the British and American Redoubts, as well as all of the points of interest in between. There are 10 stops and each one allows you to get out and stretch your legs a bit, listen to a brief audio (at many of the sites, though not all) and get a real sense of the landscape for the battle. It reminded me of some of the more glamorous sites in the South dedicated to battles during the Civil War, though it is less overwhelming, as the area involved is actually quite small. When I was there it was close to 90 F, hot and humid. I was glad for the drive. However, I would like to come back when it is cooler and walk the route (there are walking paths cut through the grass, that would be enjoyable to explore on a cooler day). It would be a great place to spend an afternoon, as all of the sites are walkable. Traveling by car, and visiting the Center, it took my friend and I less than 3 hours, and we stopped and took it all in. (Like I said, I am a buff).

If the Revolutionary War is of interest to you, this is a really nice park to visit. It is worth the $5 fee to drive the loop. Of particular interest is the memorial to Benedict Arnold, and if you don't know the history you will understand once you get there !

One other thing, if it is hot or you plan on walking, definitely bring water and maybe something to eat.

2  Thank MWCanoeman
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Love the saratoga national park and battlefield. First stop the battlefield visitor center. Great gift shop and film on the battle that took place on the grounds. Ranger tom was a great guy and very helpful. Larry a former ranger, and now a retired vol gives a great talk before the short film they show on the battle. We took the self guided tour. When you walk the battlefield it comes alive.

2  Thank Beatarmy1