“Delivered as promised”

Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport)
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Saugus
KANATA
“Delivered as promised”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I spent this Easter Weekend with my wife and 2 teenage kids. I was attending the an event at the TD Garden and they came along to shop and visit some tourist attractions.
I have been to Boston 3 times previously and stayed downtown but this time because of budgetary considerations I decided to try Saugus. (over 100.00 per night cheaper in Saugus)

My family and I were happy. The room was clean and comfortable the service was good. The only thing I would mention is the tables in the breakfast room were not cleaned right away as people left.

We didn't use the shuttle to the airport as we were not flying but the shuttle driver did drive us and other guests to the mall and local stores and came and picked us up when we were finished. The location of this hotel is surrounded with every store shop and service one could look for.

I would reccommend this hotel to people who are looking to visit the Boston area and stay in a clean affordable hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
HIExpressSaugus, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport), responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are very glad that you saved money by staying with us, it so much easier than staying in town especially since we have the shuttle that takes guest to the airport and the train station by the airport. Our staff especially our shuttle driver are very helpful taking our guest to the local shops in the area, which there are many because of our location. We will also work on cleaning the breakfast tables off sooner as well once people are done. But thank you so much for your review!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Thai first
Yakima, WA
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Checked into this hotel on April 1st and stayed two nights. The room was clean and comfortable. The parking lot was always full but we always found parking at the back of the hotel. The free breakfast was delicious and had a good variety.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay especially our free breakfast in the mornings. The parking lot does sometimes get full but we always have extra parking in the garage next door. Hopefully you will be back to stay again!
Cape Cod
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I work in Boston and sometimes need to stay overnight, so I need a hotel that is inexpensive, clean and quiet. I had had a horrible experience at the other Holiday Inn up the highway so decided to try here. The price was right, but when I went to check in there was a line a mile long from a flight at Logan. All I wanted to do was go to bed but I stood in line for and hour. Then the room! It was dirty and reeked of cigarettes. I opened the window (no screens) and put the sheet over my face, but the sheet stunk too. I asked to be moved but they said there weren't any rooms. This room was gross. Then there were people knocking on my door asking me how to turn on the lights in their room! They are confusing because when you walk into your dark room it's hard to find a switch. The breakfast was great, but won't be staying there again. My quest continues...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank LuvnLif e
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport), responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear JA M,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Saugus hotels

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel was very comfortable,staff very friendly and helpful and the shuttle drivers were great. They made it easy to get around as you cant do much walking from this hotel, nor van you cross the highway.The shuttle runs from 4am to1230 am so you can see all of Boston that you want!They also provide an amazing breakfast with something for everyone!!!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and didnt hear any outside noise!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
HIExpressSaugus, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport), responded to this review, 15 March 2012
We are very glad that you had a great stay with us. Our staff does try and help with everything they can especially our shuttle drivers. Taking our shuttle is the easiest way to see Boston without driving around town and worrying about parking. We are also glad you enjoyed our hot breakfast buffet!
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Saugus Ma on the night before our early morning flight from Logan Airport. The park and fly deal is great. We paid $129 to stay one night and park our car in the covered garage for 6nights. Nice to not have to worry about digging the car out of the snow upon return. The free shuttle to and from the airport (about 15mins) was great. No need to bring your winter coat (we were headed to the Caribbean) as the shuttle is heated. Free pastry / coffee available in the lobby. The hotel was clean and quiet. We live in RI, approx 1 hour from Logan. This allowed us to not have to worry about the weather/ driving conditions and we got to sleep an extra hour! Of course, it was much greater deal when this was a days inn and charged $89 for the same...but still worth it. Tip: take the front desk phone number with you, call when you land. They will be there promptly!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PDQ0564
We are very glad that you had an enjoyable stay. Our park and fly deals are the best so you don’t have to worry about driving to the airport and it’s really easy to get breakfast before you go as well. Also, the garage is a big help in the winter months when it snows so you don’t have clean your car off or dig it out. We do our best to be at the airport to pick up as soon as possible so guests can get to their rooms or cars faster on their return.
Lincoln, UK
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We booked on this hotel on Priority Points, we had been staying in the White Mountains and thought we'd spent our last day in Boston before the flight back to the UK.
They are quite clear on the website that it isn't on Logan Airport, but I still think referring to it that way is a little misleading. The reason we booked is for the free parking and shuttles to and from Logan Airport and the airport T.

Upon check in we were told, like a previous reviewer, that the King booked was not available and would two queens be acceptable.

We asked about transfers to and from the T at the airport, and about the timings for the journey by car to the airport the following day. You book a time for transfer in to the Logan T, and then transfer back to the hotel is on request by phone, we were told there were courtesy phones at the T and it would take 10 minutes from phone call to collection. There didn't appear to be a courtesy phone and when we located a pay phone we were told 25 minutes for collection. It didn't matter as we had allowed plenty of time but there are no facilities at the T and if we had left things to the last minute we would have had no choice but to take a cab. The traffic was also very busy on the way back to the hotel and the trip back took 25 minutes. Regarding driving to the airport we were told between 10 and 20 minutes depending on traffic, a point to note is that they didn't mention that the Chelsea Bridge is closed at the moment, if like us you are new to the area and don't know you are going to have to cross the bridge you just end up at a bridge closed sign! We had to stop at an office and ask how to get to the airport. I would expect reception staff from a hotel that runs a shuttle and would be regularly asked for directions to impart this type of information.

The room was adequate, beds were comfy, pillows awful and lumpy. There is a coffee machine but only decaf coffee was provided. The sink being in the room itself was a little odd, but the shower was good, hot and powerful. Heating worked fine. Overall it was very dim and just didn't feel nice compared to other Holiday Inns. We also found a bullet (!!) on the floor so it definitely hadn't had a thorough clean. Our room faced the highway, but noise wasn't an issue.

Breakfast was thoroughly redeemed by some decent coffee and hot cinnamon rolls which were lovely. The breakfast area itself is also very nice.

The foyer also has a good selection of local area information, including free maps.

In summary I regularly stay in Holiday Inns throughout the UK and Europe and this one is just lacking something, but when I looked at the price being charged it is also very cheap so that has to be balanced against my comments.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
HIExpressSaugus, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport), responded to this review, 13 February 2012
We are very sorry that you had a problem getting in touch with the hotel from the train. Unfortunately Massport Authority has taken all courtesy phones out of the airport and the train station for security purposes. Also, we are very sorry that the room type you chose wasn't available. But at least you got enjoy our breakfast in the morning.
NY
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I base all of my reviews on what I expect from that chain. I will not review a Motel 6 and base my expectations on a four-star hotel.

This was my first stay at this property. I don’t understand any of the complaints in previous reviews.

Parking: Free parking. Finding a spot can be an issue if the hotel is busy. The night I was there, I got the last open spot and that was only at 8pm

Check-in: Fast, friendly and easy!

Getting the type of room I request: No! I reserved a king and was given two fulls.

The Room: A typical Holiday Inn Express

Heads up! The sink is not in the bathroom. It is in the hotel room space. You walk in, there is the closet and then the sink. The sink is nice size and well lit, but if you are sharing your room, you cannot use the sink and not disturb the person with you.

Bed: Just OK. They say their pillows are soft and firm but they all seem the same to me, which is not good. They are all too thick.

TV: Disappointing. It is an old tube TV. That is not the issue. The lack of channels was the problem. Less than 30 channels. That is ridiculous today.

Bathroom: Very small. Average lighting. Shower/tub combo. Adjustable shower head and a curved shower curtain

Room Cleanliness: Clean,

Temperature control: I did not use it.

Outside sound: Minimal! I had an adjourning room so I heard the people next door but it was not that bad. Of course you hear the occasional door closing out in the hallway. (If you are reading this review you have stayed in a hotel before. Help cut down on slamming doors by slowly closing your door and not letting it slam shut)

Lighting: My pet peeve in hotels is lack of lighting. The light in the room was more than adequate.

Work Space: Nice desk and office chair with a lamp.

Internet: FREE - wireless. It was hard to access at night but easy to access in the morning.

Restaurants: Typical, free HIE breakfast. Very nice and large area to eat that was well maintained.

Gym: Small with three recumbent type machines.

Pool: Yes, small and outdoors

Elevators: Two and they are fast.

Location: Very convenient on a major road. Easy to get too. Lots of stores and restaurants nearby.

Would I stay here again? Yes at the right rate.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank TravelGuyNY64
HIExpressSaugus, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport), responded to this review, 6 February 2012
We are glad that you did enjoy most aspects of your stay. Parking, our parking can get full sometimes but we do have additional parking in the garage next door. Next with check in our front desk staff wants to make it as easy as possible for the guest. With the TV we are actually in the process of putting in newer TVs in all the rooms most of them have it we are just finishing the last of them up. Also with the channels we are looking into another package that has more channels as well. The issue about your room type we are very sorry that you did not get the king bed you requested. You should have been notified at check in that the room type you requested could not be fulfilled. But we are glad you did enjoy our complimentary hot continental breakfast hopefully you were able to enjoy our new addition of pancakes. Hopefully if you stay with us again these changes will be done and make your stay more enjoyable
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugus
Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan
Quality Inn Revere
Quality Inn Revere
#4 of 5 in Revere
Comfort Inn & Suites Boston Logan International Airport
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody

Been to Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport)? Share your experiences!