“Large Room but Cramped Bathroom and Cleanliness a Problem”

Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Saugus
San Francisco, California
“Large Room but Cramped Bathroom and Cleanliness a Problem”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My boyfriend and I arrived late at night and checked in quick and easy with no problems. We had reserved a "Superior King Room" through Orbitz. As with all other hotels, I like to do an inspection of the room, particularly the bed, for any signs of bugs and filth. No bedbugs in sight, however, 2 out of 5 pillows had dark black stains, and on the bed sheet there was a noticeable spot of "wetness", but it wasn't actually wet. At this point I had to wonder if the staff really cleaned the sheets and pillows.

The sink is separate from the toilet and shower; it is a portable sink the size of a briefcase sitting on top of a counter, with small cabinets underneath holding the hand and face towels. These particular cabinets had a layer of dust along the edges, as if they hadn't been wiped clean in a while. The area around the sink is sparse - barely enough room for one girl's things. Also, because the sink isn't very deep, water can easily splash out onto the counter if you're not careful. There was a small coffee/tea maker in the corner by the sink but it was missing the pot (other hotels have a pot with it, but this one didn't come with. I don't use these myself but thought I should mention it). The hairdryer above the coffee maker had a brown stain (disgusting) on the handle which I cleaned off before using. There were no bars to hold towels by the sink so I had to hang them in the shower room.

You can barely walk more than two steps inside this room with the toilet and bathtub/shower. I'm a small girl, but I still managed to bump my elbows on the door a couple times changing in and out of clothes. There was no vent inside the bathroom so the room can get very hot after a 20min shower.

On the upside, the room had no noticeable odors and the living space was large for a hotel room. Price is good for being close to Boston, and noise wasn't a problem. But I wouldn't come back or recommend because they're missing the basic component of a good hotel room - cleanliness.

2 Thank D H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've stayed at the Red Roof in Boston at least 10 times...first time it wasn't renovated and I wasn't too impressed, but when I went back, WOW! Everything is modern, free wifi, free coffee, and the staff is always super friendly and accommodating. Love the fluffy pillows...

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to reception for better wifi connection
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank diana_foglia
Darvin A, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Cuban_lover83

Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review. I am thrilled to hear about your experience and appreciate the wonderful comments. Our goal is to offer a good value and a clean and well maintained product for a WOW! Experience, we are thrilled that you came back to experience our modern rooms. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time you visit Boston.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I would have never thought to stay at a Red Roof Inn due to the fact that the ones here in FL are not nice at all, often gross. However, I was not able to afford $300+/night to stay in or near Boston. When I first found this Red Roof Plus+ I was skeptical as it looked too good to be true, especially being a Red Roof; close to Boston, low price, nice rooms with amenities. Upon arriving we were greeted by a nice lady at the front desk. Our room, a premium one, was in a nice location in the corner of the building. Although it was right off of a main road, it was quiet with no road noise. We liked the laminate wood floors as that equates to cleanliness to us as carpeted hotel rooms always feel dirty. The furniture and fixtures were nice, including the bed. In fact, I normally have a lot of trouble sleeping at hotels but I was actually able to get some good sleep here! We ended up extending our stay by an extra night, which was very easy to do.
We had a great experience here; hotel was nice, reasonably priced, and was a close drive to Boston and not too far from Salem.
When/if we ever go back to Boston we will definitely keep this place in mind!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Darvin A, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Stark_house

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. I am glad we were able to change your idea of what you were accustomed to the ones in FL. The entire Red Roof Brand is in process of a major upgrade and over half the brand has just renovated their hotels and the rest are coming very soon! I am so glad our team took great care of you, I will share this with all of them especially. Thanks again and we do hope you continue looking for the Red Roof Plus when travelling.

Nantucket, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I called the local # late at night to say Im stilling going to check and and got routed to the central res # which had me on hold for a while and couldnt help. I had to hang up. I got to the hotel around midnight and the lady at check in was pleasant and helpful. The room was clean and obviously renovated which was nice. Some non working outlets in the room and no lotion was in room. Otherwise very comfortable and decent for the rate.

Room Tip: Clean rooms, and pretty much good location, not that far from airport. Central to many things too
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Karen S

Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to write about your visit. I am glad you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms and also appreciate the kind comments regarding our team members. We always enjoy to hear when our hard work is recognized and I will be sure to praise my team members for the way you were treated. We do hope you return if you come back to Boston.

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I chose this location because it was 15 min from sites in Boston and was most reasonable on pricing. The room was clean and was exactly as it appeared on website. Check-in was quick and even though hotel was in busy area, it was peacefully quiet in the room. What I would have loved is if they offered a gym room. Good experience overall.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Superior Kings Room
Dear GC,

Thanks for staying with us; it was our pleasure to host your visit. I appreciate all of your kind comments regarding the hotel and will be sure to share them with the rest of the team. We are fortunate enough to be just outside of the city and not too far from the subway. Thanks again for all the kind comments and we hope we see you again soon.

Metuchen
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Nice hotel. Clean, inviting, casual. Very helpful staff. Nice comfortable beds.Slept great. Nice and quiet despite being next to a highway.Like the free coffee.Not the best of locations but not disappointed with the place itself.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Janina2,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this nice review for us, we are glad you enjoyed your stay! I am glad you were adamant about the quality of the hotel you were looking for and we were able to offer just what you needed. We thank you and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Staying outside of Boston is a good option if you are travelling by car. This was expected to be a very 'no frills' hotel booking and even so, it did exceed my expectations.
This Red Roof Inn Plus, located North of the City is located within a very easy drive to reach public transit (MBTA), close to a variety of restaurants, local stores for necessity or shopping and a great price with free parking.
Our no frills suite had a small refrigerator, iron and ironing board, microwave and hot water dispenser for morning coffee/tea. Coffee was also available in the lobby.
The lobby was immaculately clean, The parking lot was well lit. The suite was very spacious and the upgrades are tasteful, both the bedroom and living room area had amazing TVs!. Our suite was close to the elevator and the ice machine, yet there was minimal noise.
The front desk staff checked us in quickly. Notably, Jessica was over and above every step of the way. We even took her recommendation for a local restaurant and it was exceptional. Requests for extra towels & pillows were dealt with promptly.
We were originally disappointed with the housekeeping in our room, however, the issue was addressed professionally, by Jessica, at the front desk.
This property also was the perfect location for a quick to Salem to complete our stay Massachusetts.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Darvin A, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear CupBunny67

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad the amenities in the rooms provided what you needed for a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We try to make sure all the basics are covered and that is why all rooms have a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron, iron board, hairdryer, and safe. I do apologize for the lack of housekeeping service, however am glad to hear Jessica took good care of you... I will share these nice comments with her and will work on making sure a lack of Housekeeping doesn't happen again in the future. We really appreciate the nice comments and hope to serve you again in the future.

i0305@redroof.com | redroof.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugus
Quality Inn Revere
Quality Inn Revere
#4 of 5 in Revere
Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport)
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Comfort Inn & Suites Boston Logan International Airport

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan? Share your experiences!