“Comfy Stay on the Outskirts of Boston”

Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Saugus
Gatineau, Quebec
“Comfy Stay on the Outskirts of Boston”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in July during a motorcycle trip to Boston with another couple. We each had our own room. Amenities include fridge, microwave, iron, in-room safe and free WiFi. Rooms are clean and staff very helpful. Hardwood floors a nice touch. About 15 minute cab ride to the nearest MTA and then on to Boston. Cabs also offer a flat rate from the hotel to Boston - practical and cheap option, if 4 people. The hotel is located near a grocery store as well, if you are the ''pack a lunch'' type as we are. Plus, coming back to a few cold beers in the fridge after a day's walkabout in Boston is something to look forward to. A couple of good, inexpensive restaurants within 2 to 3 minute walk from the hotel - one is a Brazilian grill type restaurant and the other is a humungous, Chinese restaurant - value for your money there. The only downside (and a minor one) is the hotel's location on Broadway, which is not a pedestrian friendly section of road.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Darvin A, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear MichelAudy

Thanks so much for staying with us and we really appreciate the review! I am glad you enjoyed the new design of our rooms and amenities. You are right, we are near grocery store and tons more in a mile or so radius. We are on Route 1 making it so quick and easy to get to Boston, and other points of interest, but I do understand it can be different than navigating in other cities. Thanks again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

i0305@redroof.com | redroof.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I booked this place in March based on the reviews it received. I bought my husband ball tickets to see the Jays play at Fenway Park.I prepaid and got the managers special for 3 nights.We would have left if I hadn't prepaid. We checked in on a Sunday night,We had plans to visit Salem on Monday then take the train to Boston to see the game. Unfortunately the tornado hit Revere which is about ten minutes way so we stayed in our hotel room and continued to unpack. Our fridge wasn't working and we had no clock so we had maintenance come to help us. It was unplugged but the plug was located behind the large dresser so we did not notice that. When he was there we also told him that we could not get into our room safe. He got into it and to our surprise he found heroin and the stuff that goes with it. I took pictures of it since I did not know what it was. He took it away and I asked for housekeeping to come and thoroughly clean the area. We do not need any residue on our passports and since I am an "Officer of the Court." I cannot take any risks of being around drugs. Finally Santos the head of maintenance came and sprayed out the safe. He was wonderful and calmed me down. Still this was a very unsettling experience. No manager ever came to see if we were OK. It seemed that we were constantly going to the front desk to ask for things that housekeeping forgot. Not a big deal. When we checked out their computer system was broken and we could not get a print out of our stay, We enjoyed our visit at the Red Roof Inn in Albany the night before but this experience has put us off this chain forever. I cannot recommend a place that does not do their due diligence to ensure the safety of their guests.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kathycF8282UJ
Darvin A, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear kathycF8282UJ,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on Trip Advisor. However, we do apologize for the issue you encountered during your stay. I am glad to hear that Santos was able to help you and calm you down for the inconvenience of the safe. If you ever come back to Boston, we would love and greatly appreciate if you would give us another chance.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here 2 nights in July. Front desk was very helpful. Not too far from an MTA station. From there you can access all of Boston. Room was clean and quite. Not really close to the airport, but good roads in. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Darvin A, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Sam S,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the service during your visit and I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. We also appreciate the comments regarding the cleanliness and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to any future visits should you be back in the area.

Sincerely

Darvin Aviles Assistant General Manager
Red Roof Inn - Boston Logan
920 Broadway
Saugus, MA 01906
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were travelling along the east coast with Boston as our final destination. We were looking for a "cheap" hotel so we decided to stay outside of the metro area. It was not really worth it in the end, since we had a 10min drive to the nearest subway station and then again a 30-40 minute train ride to downtown. I also have never seen such a bizarre road configuration, every business being DIRECTLY on the road 1, and I'm not even talking about Mass drivers here, phew. Pretty challenging to get out of anywhere at this point, but this has nothing to do with the hotel itself.

The rooms were renovated recently which is nice, no carpet in the room, good AC, HD TV, comfortable bed. There are very few amenities in this hotel, but I did not expect anything special by paying such a low price (135$/night). The staff was very nice to us.

The BIG problem here is the noise. I asked for a room away from the road, which I got, but I realized the road traffic was not my main problem! We could hear EVERYTHING going on outside our room, doors slamming, people talking, people having sex (!), you name it, we heard it. I always bring earplugs with me since I sometimes have a hard time falling asleep, but this time the noise actually woke me up in the middle of the night while I was still wearing my earplugs. Talk about noisy !

We stayed in other low budget hotels during our stay and we never experienced such bothering with noise. Be aware of this when booking, if this is not a concern for you, go ahead.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road, and on the corner if possible so you have less Neighbors.I swear...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank klodya
Darvin A, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear klodya,

Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a thorough review. We work really hard to keep the hotel clean and appreciate when those efforts are recognized, I will be sure to praise our team for their hard work and share these nice comments with them. However, I do apologize for the noise situations, but do appreciate the feedback! Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

First off, let me clearly separate the review of the hotel and my stay.

Speaking about the hotel ... They do have updated rooms with no carpet (not sure what the floor is made of, but it's a hard surface, which is nice), nice beds, etc. So once you close your door and look around - it looks picture perfect. That's the positive side. My daughter was actually pretty happy about the hotel because that's exactly what was important to her.

Now about the negative sides.

The area around the front door and bathroom is pretty cramped. If you look at the picture, the bathroom has an angle corner, so there is very little space inside. And it's kind of hard to hold the front door open and move the bags around because that door blocks your way.

I stayed in the room 114 and the wi-fi reception was kind of flaky. I was thinking about going to some business center to get online and finish reading my mail, but the business center is actually a desk right by the main door in the lobby - there is no way I'd read my business mail in front of every visitor passing by.

Actually, the hotel has very few amenities to speak of. No gym, no breakfast.

Now the worst part. It's located really close to a busy road which stays noisy all day and all night, so if you want some quiet sleep, ask for the rooms as far away from the road as possible.

And, as other reviewers mentioned, this hotel has nothing to do with the Logan airport - it's about 20 mins away and you need to arrange your own transportation.

Now a few words about my stay.

Besides the street noise, I had really noisy neighbors in the next room. At 2:30 am I went to the lobby to see if they can do anything - that didn't help much. So I was up until past 3 am. Ok, no problem, since there is no breakfast provided anyway, why not sleep longer? Well, not so easy. The morning crew is nice and they don't speak loud. But ... they somehow got really loud walkie-talkies! I could hear those walkie-talkies through the door as if they were inside my room.

So the outcome of the stay was less than 5 hours of sleep, unread emails and generally bad mood.

Overall, this place reminds me of the house flippers - let's do cosmetic staff (like name it after the airport and update the floors and furniture) and skip the big investments (like providing breakfast, good wi-fi, soundproofing windows) and hope that the curb appeal will pay off.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms as far from the noisy road as possible and if you need wi-fi - make sure your room has...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank heckfy
Darvin A, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Heckfy,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review. I am very glad to hear that the structure and cleanliness of the rooms satisfied you. However, we do apologize for the wi-fi reception, amenities, and space inconvenience. We have recently upgraded all goods and amenities; I apologize that they were not put in your room in advance. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future with a much more pleasant experience.

Laval, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

While looking for affordable accomodation in the Boston area, we booked here for two nights. We were given one of the new "NextGen" room, with a redesigned interior.

The rates rock, and the rooms with hard flooring instead of stinky carpets ROCK!.

The rooms are really clean, the beds super comfortable.

Only letdown would be the bathrooms. Although they were squeaky clean, they're still the same old bathrooms you had in the original rooms, and in our case, the tub was not draining properly... This is minor mind you, and I'm sure the super helpful personel at the front desk would have taken care of it if we had brought it up sooner, but we only stayed for two days.

We were initially concerned about noises from the highway / airport, but found the room to be super quiet, even though we were on the front side.

We would stay here again, and in fact DID stay at another Red Roof when we fled our other hotel in panic on our last night in the area.

Room Tip: request a nextgen room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Darvin A, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Cedric G,

Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a thorough review. I am thrilled that we were almost perfect, but wish we could have done a little better to provide you with the best possible experience. I am glad we hit the "clean and comfortable yet affordable” factors. I really appreciate those comments. I apologize about the draining situation but do appreciate the feedback. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

London
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We wanted a hotel to stay in while visiting family in nearby Melrose, and hoped that a smaller chain would provide good service. Sadly, it didn't. The rooms are cramped, and at the time (Sept 2012) there were no breakfasts. We looked longingly at the Holiday Inn Express on the other side of the road, found their prices to be lower, and moved there after 3 days. Every time we now stay at the HIE, we see RR's prices advertised higher that what we're paying!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear a_kotowicz,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor and thank you for choosing Red Roof Plus as well. However, I do apologize for the room and breakfast situations. We have recently upgraded all rooms with bedding, pillows and goods. Our goal is for the guests to feel comfortable and cozy in a clean and well maintained area yet with affordable rates. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope you stay again soon for a much more pleasant experience.

i0305@redroof.com | redroof.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugus
Quality Inn Revere
Quality Inn Revere
#4 of 5 in Revere
Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport)
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Comfort Inn & Suites Boston Logan International Airport

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan? Share your experiences!