“It was my favorite sushi until....”

Sake Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 111 Restaurants in Saugus
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2013

There's no doubt the staff there got to know my family as our call generated an automatic suggestion of sushi we typically ordered until we discovered a competitor. The staff is very friendly as the owner makes great suggestions which we always ordered and enjoyed. Hmmm... there was a time or two the tuna was not as fresh as it should have been and I threw it away. It could not be sent back because we ordered lots of take out...

There are newer reviews for Sake Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

This is, by far, the best sushi place I have ever been! I just moved to the area and have come here mutiple times already. The waitstaff and management are extremely attentive and genuinely care about their customers. The sushi is fresh and displayed perfectly. So glad I listened to the reviews posted here and wasn't deterred by the exterior. This business does an exquisite job and is truly a local gem for sushi connoisseurs!

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Once in a while, I get a huge craving for sushi. It happened last night, so we went to Saki. Pleased to see a crowded parking lot, as this restaurant deserves praise. First, the proprietor and the sushi chefs give you a hearty welcome as you step inside. So does the waitstaff. My sushi plate arrived, artistically arranged in a large lacquered boat. Along with it, I had miso soup, seaweed salad, ginger ice cream, plum wine, and green tea. A meal to savor. "Arigato" (thank you) to the Sake team for another happy dining experience. A final note: the photo above shows the Kowloon, not the Sake!

Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

Thank goodness someone posted a review not to be discouraged the outside appearance! The service was absolutely extraordinary - they really make you feel like a rockstar! Sushi was fantastic! I'll definitely be back. :)

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I have actually been a patron of Sake's since it first opened in 1986. It was my very first exposure to sushi, long before it was popular or well-known in Boston, and I immediately fell in love with it. I have probably been to Sake dozens of times over the years, although not so much in the last 10 years or so. It seemed that the quality of the food and the service had diminished somewhat. The food did not taste quite as fresh and the service was often off. We felt either rushed or neglected by surly waitstaff. So we had not been back for quite a while.

We returned for dinner Saturday night after an absence of over a year, and I was most pleasantly suprised. I wondered if there was new management because the greeters and wait staff were all appropriately friendly and welcoming, with the exception of one waitress who did not seem to want to return my smile. The food was delicious and the sushi was presented most attractively in a boat, which they had not done before, although I have had that at other sushi restaurants. I also had an appetizer of agedashi tofu, which is another favorite and it was delicious. Also, the sushi platter now includes miso soup and a salad, so it really is a full meal and I thought.a good value for the price.

I would highly recommend this restaurant.