“Excellent stay”
Review of Cort Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Three Rivers
Cort Cottage
Ranked #8 of 11 Three Rivers B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We stayed for two nights at Corts cottage and we truly enjoyed it. Staying in THE USA for three weeks, it is wonderfull to Find à home away from home. Not just your NeXT motel along THE road. It is quietly located in three rivers, just à short drive from sequoia national parc. THE cottage does provide for everything and i do not understand THE last review. elsah provider à good breakfast that you do have to fix yourself. that has THE positive effect that you decide enen you eat. It is à quiet neighbourhood with privacy at THE cottage and à beautiful view from THE deck. lovely stay!

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BamBarbara

Reviewed 20 December 2010

My husband and I chose this B & B based on reviews. First I would note this B&B has been in business 25 years and only has 11 reviews. Positives: Location and calming view. Negatives: the breakfast was a joke. The owner brings you stuff so you can supposedly make your own breakfast. Personally I go on vacation to not cook. But anyway, fine. The bad part was she did not even give us milk or OJ or even jam for the toast. We got half a dozen white eggs, Koolaid that tasted like paint, white toast and some raisin toast, white sugar and some butter -- that is it. Oh, and some half and half for the coffee if you choose to make it. So after the first night we ate at a local diner. Other cons, the owner did not even check with us after the first night if we needed anything. I found this odd. She dropped off eggs first night and was gone. We have stayed in many B & B's and for the amount of money she charged in the dead of winter I would have expected a decent breakfast, perhaps a radio/music in the cottage and some shampoo perhaps (I forgot mine and it would have been nice to have the little bottles most places offer.)

All in all the location is lovely and it has a nice trail to walk nearby, the cottage is private and the view really pretty. However, I felt it was over priced for the service or quality. Bed was comfortable enough and cottage was fine. Handy to have a kitchen. However, again, would have been nice of owner to change trash bin liners or check to see if we need anything for breakfast after first night........would not go again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank myholiday1975
elsahcort, Owner at Cort Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2011

After reading this review I sent an email message directly to this recent guest:

I am so sorry to hear that your stay in the cottage was disappointing to you. Your review on TripAdvisor really shocked me.

I would have been glad to have helped you in any way, if you had let me know. I did say to let me know if you needed anything, and also this is written in the information book I have on the kitchen table (with my phone number so guests can call me using the cottage phone). I deliberately give my guests privacy in the cottage, so I don't go over to the cottage every day unless I am asked.

It does state on the website, that food is left in the cottage for breakfast, but breakfast is not cooked for guests. I try to make the breakfast selection as full as possible, giving you fruit, bread (it was sourdough bread and the good raisin bread I buy), eggs, juice (it was cran-raspberry juice not kool aid, which I have not had since I was a child), raisin bran, homemade granola, oatmeal, real butter, freshly ground french roast coffee (two drawers full of herbal and black teas), and yes, half and half as an upgrade from milk. I don't leave milk anymore for the cereal, as everyone wants a different kind of milk. The half and half is an upgrade, to use for coffee or cereal. People rarely drink milk, so the half and half solution has evolved over the years. I have never had anyone complain about the breakfast, in fact most people tell me how they love what I give them.

There is shampoo in the drawers in the bathroom, along with shower caps, conditioner, lotion, organic shower soap, little soaps and a hair dryer.

There also is a CD player in the living room so guests can play music if they want to. I have no way to get radio stations here as the signals do not reach Three Rivers. There is a full selection of music from Dish Network with over 20+ stations to choose from that play only music.

I am not sure what the connection is between 25 years as a bed and breakfast and only 11 reviews. I have many guest books full of reviews, that are there to read in the cottage. It has only been in the last several years that the travel industry has been online. When I first started there was no internet at all, and I was listed in over 10 bed and breakfast books, having been chosen by the authors. Not everyone takes the time to go online and write a review. Plus I have only one "room" essentially and four weekends a month (when most people come) so I don't have a big number of guests. Some of the other bed and breakfasts in town have 5 rooms or more, so they have a bigger number to gather reviews from.

I have not changed my rates for the cottage in almost five years, and the majority of other bed and breakfasts in Three Rivers have higher rates than me. There are two that are lower than me, but they give you a room in a house. I give you a private house.

After reading about your experience, I am going to make sure I make it as clear as possible to guests to let me know if they need anything at all. I had no clues from you that you were unhappy, you seemed just fine to me. Again, I wish I had known about your unhappiness, as I would have done my best to help you.

I see my cottage as a service for people who need a respite from their busy lives. I have spent a great deal of time and thought to make it comfortable, well-equipped and a good experience. It pains me that it was not so for you.

I am sorry if this email is odd in any way. I have never written one like this before, because I have never had the need to write one before.
Your review has affected me deeply.

Elsah Cort
_______________________________
And, I add this here as a response to this review:
I see my guest cottage as a special gift and service for people who benefit from coming here for a connection with nature and mountains. I have spent a great deal of time and consideration to make it comfortable, well-equipped and a pleasant experience for guests. Everyone has different expectations and I realize that not everyone can be pleased. I take comments personally, because I personally do all the chores in creating this bed and breakfast experience, from website creation, to bleaching the bathroom spotless (from my training as a registered nurse), to bringing the breakfast over in a picnic basket (the reason these guests saw me just bringing eggs was because I had already brought the rest of the breakfast over and I forgot my little wire chicken that holds the fresh [white] eggs), to providing wireless internet and choosing the books for the special reading library in the cottage (including the little lighted Christmas tree and decorations that were out for these guests). It is hard for me to hear that someone was not happy here.

Reviewed 28 November 2010

A very unique place, so different from the norm. We had flown from the East Coast and spent 3 days running around, then drove half a day to Three Rivers. The rushing and stress stopped upon walking down the stone path to Cort Cottage. It's like you've gone to your own private retreat away from it all. Going up the road and seeing Sequoia was the goal, but had the park not been there, I would have been just as happy staying at the cottage for three days, reading a book and doing nothing. The stocked refrigerator and kitchen was one of the nicest things, we had been eating out for days, and just to sit down and have breakfast was nice, and we shopped in town, picked up groceries and made dinner, which was a very nice change. The only reason I would not recommend going here is if it becomes popular, then I may have trouble getting a reservation to go back.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

After 5 days in Sequoia National Park -- part backpacking, part lodging - we made our way to Cort Cottage. A place to settle before we headed back to "the world". Did we ever strike it rich! We arrived late (after dark) but the pathway to the cottage was lit by walklights.....the cottage was open and ready for us. Elsah (owner) had supplied us with eggs and coffee and fruit and oj and toast for breakfast the next morning. So we were happy!
It was a warm night. We made a quick supper (fully stocked kitchen made it SO nice!) - and ate outside on the deck/porch....not knowing what our surroundings looked like -- but knowing that it was quiet and lovely.
We woke to an incredible view of the Cash Mtn BLM area - trees and birds and foothills.
We loved our stay and tranquility there - SO MUCH- that we asked if we could stay one more night!

I highly recommend the Cort Cottage. If you're expecting "Marriott" style - this isn't for you.
But if you're looking for comfort and tranquility and poetry and beauty and your own "spot in time" -- then I highly recommend the Cort Cottage!

Only a few miles to the entrance to Sequoia Natl Park. We feel lucky to have found it!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed at Cort Cottage for two nights during our visit to Sequoia National park and were terrifically impressed with the cottage. The cottage is situated in the town of Three Rivers and located less than 2 miles from Sequoia National Park, which was perfect because you can get to the park entrance in less than 5 minutes. The amenities at the cottage lacked nothing. The cottage itself is designed to provied all of the amenities you would have at home. From the Dish Network cable, library of books and guides to Sequoia, to the book of menus from local restaurants, fully-functioning kitchen and skyline view of the mountains from the cottage living room, there is little more you could ask for as a guest! Upon our arrival, the cottage hostess brought us various breakfast foods for us to prepare breakfast before leaving for the park the next morning. The cottage is also less than a mile or so from great Three Rivers restaurants - whether you like outdoor mexican food with live music, or steak dinner on a patio overlooking the river. The cottage itself is well cared for and well kept. It offers a quiet, calm atmosphere which is perfect after a day of hiking, or other activities in the park. Would definitely recommend giving this jewel a shot!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Cort Cottage was everything I had hoped for, and more. From the well stocked kitchen to the view out our front window it was wonderful. We were greeted by a flock of wild turkeys on the first day and visits from hummingbirds every morning. I wish we could have stayed longer, but had to travel on. Somedday, we will make it back there.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Bobber1955
Reviewed 19 July 2010

My husband and I recently stayed in Cort cottage for 5 nights. We had our two-and-a-half year old daughter with us, sleeping in her own travel bed in the bedroom. The cottage was ideal for our needs - a perfect mix of privacy, modern comforts, and tranquil location.

From the cottage it's about 20 minutes to the Ash Mountain entrance to Sequoia National Park, and about 1.5 hours to Kings Canyon National Park. The cottage is near the end of a quiet road, with fantastic views from the living room of uninhabited hills.

The cottage has a flatscreen tv, dvd player, and wifi. The kitchen is fully stocked, and we particularly appreciated the small cooler, which we packed with a picnic lunch and took with us on our expeditions every day. Elsah Cort provided breakfast food (baked goods, fresh fruit, and eggs) that was more than enough for the three of us, and we cooked our evening meals in the well-equipped kitchen. Besides breakfast food, coffee, and tea, Elsah had made sure that the freezer was fully stocked with ice, which was very thoughtful. Elsah welcomed us and we chatted in passing, but otherwise we were left alone to fully appreciate the quiet and tranquility of the location.

The cottage has a good selection of reading materials, including children's books, and a variety of guides and maps to the area and the nearby national parks that helped us plan our day trips. The mattress on the bed was very comfortable, the air conditioner was efficient and quiet, and it was a pleasure just to sit around in such a well-appointed and well-designed little house. It was wonderful to come "home" to wifi, tv, home-cooked meals, and all the comforts of civilized life after a day traipsing around the gorgeous wilderness of the mountains.

I think it's important to note that the bathroom is not fully enclosed with floor-to-ceiling walls and door. This was not a problem for us at all, but if you aren't traveling with family, just be aware that you won't have absolute privacy in the bathroom.

I would certainly recommend Cort Cottage to any couple or family of 3 who is visiting Sequoia National Park.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
#7 of 11 in Three Rivers
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
#5 of 6 in Three Rivers

Been to Cort Cottage? Share your experiences!