“Gateway to Disappointment.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Phoenix, Arizona
“Gateway to Disappointment.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

It’s a sin.

This hotel is located in such a perfect spot: just a mile or two from the southern entrance of Sequoia National Park, alongside the gorgeous Kaweah River. The problem is that this lodge is old & crappy.

If the owners were to raze this mess and create a cozy and vibrant new “Gateway” to Sequoia National Park, they could have a true gem on their hands. I suppose because of the proximity to the park, they already get plenty of business as it is, so there’s no reason to start over. To give the owners credit, they have mentioned that they’ve shelled out over $100,000 for recent renovations, but I didn’t see it.

I’ll admit that I didn’t stay in the “Honeymoon” cabin which is probably much nicer than the standard room I stayed in. My room just screamed tired, worn-out & dank, with a cramped bathroom and a shoddy air-conditioning unit. I’m not a picky person who expects luxury accommodations whenever I travel (I usually stay at your basic Hampton Inn), but for the price I paid, I was definitely disappointed in the look and feel of the room. Yes, I guess its nearness to the park entrance warrants a higher per night cost than what I would expect for a hotel in this blah condition, but the value was still sorely lacking. Perhaps if they were to throw in a complimentary breakfast, they could boost the perception of their customers closer to feeling as if they were getting their money’s worth.

Maybe the attraction here is the restaurant, which does get higher billing in the establishment’s name. I will admit that I did not eat at the restaurant. It is possible that enjoying a fine meal while overlooking the beautiful babbling waters of the river below would make up for the less-than-satisfying room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PhlegmMaster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Lake Elsinore, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here 3 nights in June. I have to say, if all you are looking for is a place to sleep at night, it is ok. They have a beautiful spot on the river, but you can only enjoy it if you stay in the riverfront cabin or go to their overpriced restaurant. There is no safe spot to even get down to the river. The view from all the other rooms is of the back of the restaurant, dumpsters, trash cans,overturned outdoor heaters and the dirt parking lot. Our room was pretty dirty and not sure of the renovation they spoke of. Also, at check in you are actually in their bar with inebriated people staring at you. Just not comfortable. Its a shame because it could be so nice if they would just clean it up. I'v got an idea, have the ten employees that were out there smoking all the time do some work when the restaurant isn't busy?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tongad2014

Travellers are raving about these Three Rivers hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I absolutely do not recommend this lodge. It is totally overpriced for what you get. The staff is unfriendly and not a bit helpful. But what really matters is the room itself. They said its all renovated, with new carpets, but it wasn't, it looks very old and lousy.
Bathroom was a mess. Hairs from other people everywhere. Urine spots on the toilet, brown spots on the wall near the toilet. It was a nightmare.
The food in the restaurant nearby is very expensive and not worth the price.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Zinniminni
Natchez, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at the Gateway March 27 & 28th. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. The rooms had just been redone and was very nice. Has a beautiful dining area along the creek. We were told to make ourselves at home and had a nice stay. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Tehachapi, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We booked 2 nights and had a terrific time. Everyone went out of there way to see our stay was a great experience. Met the owner Glen, who showed up at our door with a free bottle of champagne. The river was outside our back door with all the sounds of nature. We took our 2 small dogs and they were welcomed. Also, met Glens wife at the Gateway Restaurant. She went out of her way to meet all of our needs. What a great couple. The Gateway Restaurant is fantastic. The ambience is incredible, as well as the food. I give the Lodge and Restaurant 5 STARS*****. Great place to stay to explore the National Park and river. Can't wait to go back. We stayed in cabin 6. It had a dry sauna in room. Nice!

Room Tip: Cabin 6 is honeymoon suite with dry sauna and river at the back.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jack d
travelers1954, Owner at Gateway Restaurant and Lodge, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review. We have spent over $100,000 in room renovations this year, so all our rooms have a fresh new look. If you want to come and have a great time with great food and drinks, this is the place to stay.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed here for a family trip to Sequoia. Looked good on the internet, but when we got there it was terrible. Rooms are old. Shower wouldn't drain. A guy tried to plunge it and left, never came back. Couldn't find anyone it the morning to check out. Maybe they were prejudice, or just didn't care because they had my money already. Restaurant was expensive and mediocre at best. Family still razzes me about it. Could have stayed at a AAA rated place next door, if I had known. Don't waste your time.

Room Tip: Pick the AAA rated motel next door.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank T Y
We understand your concerns. We have just completed a $100,000 renovation of all of our rooms. Floors, ceilings, walls, sinks, counter tops, art, fixtures and even light switched and plugs. The Gateway was originally built in the 1920's and prior owners did only what they could to keep things going. My wife, Susan has gracefully redecorated all of our rooms and we welcome your return visit. In fact, since you were so displeased I would kindly offer you a free night stay during your next visit. just email me at info@gateway-sequoia.com. Our rooms are now the nicest and newest in the whole Sequoia National Park area.
As far as our food, I don't know of a place where you can get a better steak with or without the majestic views from our dining room or river terrace.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We ended up at the Gateway when, thanks to Obamacare, the Sequoia National Park was shut and we could not get in to the lodge we had booked in the park. Glenn saved our bacon, and we had one of the best nights in our 3 week trip to the States. Admittedly the rooms are not the Bellagio, but Glenn's hospitality was outstanding. The meal he prepared was absolutely top class and the bar was one of the best stocked I have seen. A musical soiree followed with Glenn on the pianola and the whole bar in good voice. I would go back without hesitation, and recommend it to anyone who likes a fun evening and excellent value

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
John Muir Lodge
John Muir Lodge
#3 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to Gateway Restaurant and Lodge? Share your experiences!