“Great Retro motel”
Review of Sierra Lodge

Sierra Lodge
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I've read a couple of bad reviews about the Sierra Lodge but our stay a few weeks back was nice. Our room was spacious and clean and while the cane furniture appeared to be from the '70s it was in good condition, it reminded me of the motor inns I stayed in with my family as a kid. We stayed on the second floor and although you had to climb a spiral staircase to get to the room it was worth it as we sat out on the porch in the warm afternoon and had a few beers as the sun went down. It's located only ten min from the entrance to Sequoia NP so it's in a good spot. Good value.

Room Tip: We stayed in room E which was really good
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Seano Rese Q

Reviewed 4 October 2011

This place is out of the 60's or maybe early 70's. The kids today would call it "retro". Very cool. Very nice. Clean - great location and the price is pleasantly shocking - especially considering it's at the base of the entry to Sequoia Nat'l Park. Gorgeous here - chilling on the front porch along with most of the other guests in this maybe 20 room motel. Don't know what brekkie is like yet - but who cares? Room's are quaint as many of the readers won't believe, just really a cool place. So glad we got a room here. Can't say enough about it - when your front door is a sliding glass door, well, you know you've struck gold. Wife may not leave the motel - just so nice to sit outside here. The desk clerk was very friendly and walked us to our room. And - wireless out here on the porch? Could stay here a day to unwind.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tasmandevil
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Great rate and very helpful staff. Ten minutes from the south entrance to Sequoia NP. Old facility, but no problems here. Room D is very spacious for the $69 rate. No prison here. :)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Goldvsmith
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stopped at this hotel about 2 weeks ago, just needing a room for 1 night. I got there about 1:40pm and the front door was locked with a note saying be back in 5 mins. About 12 mins later the woman who opened the door was extremly rude. I asked if they open or not because the door had been locked for a while. Instead of apologizing, she acted like I was in the wrong for wanting to check in before 2pm. All I could think of was, wow, I wonder how many people get treated like this. Needless to say, I didn't stay there on that day.

Room Tip: never got a room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank eric s
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This was the perfect spot for our family of four. The huge "bridal suite 3" was two levels, two bedrooms a full kitchen, dinning room and living room. It was a bit run-down, but no one comes to Three Rivers to spend time in a hotel room so who cares. The staff was nice. Breakfast wasn't really very good though -- just packets of oatmeal or super sugary Danishes. Considering the location and amenities, we'd stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank goandgoandgo
Reviewed 21 August 2011

On day 4 of our trip to California, we went up to Three Rivers to stay in the Sierra Lodge, where we had booked for two nights so that we could explore the Sequoi Park nearby.

We made all our bookings after reading Tripadvisor. Sierra was not our first choice and we had some misgivings about some of the comments we had read about the place, but we wanted to experience the park and so we booked up.

This is the worst establishment calling itself a hotel I have stayed in anywhere in the world.

The room we had was Room A, which, along with Room B, is accessible via an external set of metal stairs. Room A is a virtually triangular-shaped room. The only extensive window is the glass door itself, which for privacy’s sake, you are obliged to pull the blinds on.

The air conditioning, which you will definitely need to get some sleep, is very noisy , which militates against sleep. This is the only “hotel” in the world in which I have slept where the room is so tight that one side of the bed is up against the wall, causing me to have to slide down the bed to go to the loo in the night –my wife took the side with side access.

The décor was tired and very dowdy. A pair of dusty old shorts had been left under cobwebs on a cupboard, testimony to the absence of thorough cleaning. It was dull and depressing – a windowless cell to escape from rather than a room with a view to enjoy.

Breakfast, in the reception area, was a help yourself – if you can – affair. There was hazelnut coffee, two small Danish, 6 slices of orange and sundry packets of oats to mix up yourself with water. We took the two Danish and some coffee. We then left quite disgusted with the breakfast offering. A Japanese couple came in after us. What did they make of the orange slice breakfast? All the while, a lady sat at reception, never once looking over, unconcerned and self-absorbed with her computer screen.

We were pleased with the park and had found a decent place to eat in the evening and so put up with the prison for one more night. At to the price of the room, contrary to California regulations, the room price was not displayed in the “room”.

As we had booked and paid from the UK, m y wife enquired as to the price and we were shocked to be told that it cost in dollars what we had been charged in pounds. We enquired again of another person as to the price only to receive the same information.

Furthermore, given what we paid elsewhere in the US for very excellent accommodation, we could not believe the charge being made for this wretched excuse for a hotel room, let alone what we had had to pay for it in the UK.

It may well be that other rooms in this hotel are a lot better, they certainly could not be worse.

However, if you are reading this on Tripadvisor, please heed the warning – YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone at all and would condemn Room A.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Christa90
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My father, brother, and I stayed in their "Penthouse" overlooking the pool. As another reviewer mentioned, the floorplan was very interesting--one large living space divided in half diagonally with a low wall. We were very comfortable with the two queen bedrooms adjoined by an asymmetrical bathroom. My brother slept on the comfy futon in the living room. There were not one, but two mini fridges and an abundance of clean towels. The appliances and decor were dated, but operational and charming to look at. The pool, which I only dipped my feet into, was clean and the sound of children splashing around and enjoying it could most certainly be heard from our room (fair warning for those of you who like to take afternoon naps). Continental breakfast, which we did not partake in due to time constraints was: pre-packaged pastries and mini muffins, orange slices, oatmeal packets, and coffee. All was presented neatly and cheerfully, including the staff. The parking lot was a tad tight with all of the SUVs and family vans proving to be a bit of a challenge every morning to get out of. If there was one thing we would have liked upgraded, that would be the shower head. It was one of those school locker-room shower heads that was not adjustable and only sprayed out one narrow stream of water. It was also mounted low on the wall (even for me and I'm 5'5", and we each hit our heads on it.) Nonetheless, we enjoyed a very comfortable and pleasant stay overall. No sarcasm intended.

Room Tip: Reserve in advance. If you need space and amenities while out in the wood, I suggest booking the
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tireGage
Also consider these accommodations in or near Three Rivers
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer...
#3 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
John Muir Lodge
#2 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Best Western Exeter Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to Sierra Lodge? Share your experiences!