“Beautiful to See...Customer Service Lacking”
Review of Luray Caverns

Luray Caverns
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest cave in the Eastern U.S. where visitors can see such bizarre formations like the "Throne Room", "Giant's Hall", and "Fried Eggs".
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We went through with our family on Saturday of Mother's Day weekend around 4pm. There was a line out the door waiting to get into the caverns and we had arrived a little later than we expected. We had originally planned to purchase our tickets online but decided to wait until we got to the caverns. I guess it's my fault for not reading the sign clearly that said the price for the adult and the children. My daughter is 8 and my son is 4 and I asked for 2 adult and 2 child tickets. It is pretty clear that my son does not look 6 years old but they still charged me a child's ticket anyway. I didn't realize it until we were in line to go into the caverns and decided that we hadn't been since 2001 anyway so there was my "donation" to the caverns.

I was not impressed at all with our tour guide, Jackson. He said he was new but it seemed to appear that he missed a lot of important points regarding the caverns. I remember back in 2001 they pointed out a fault line in which I asked him about after the tour and he said he didn't know but that there "probably was one" down in the caverns. The tour felt rushed and there were a lot of people that kept staying back to take pictures and pretty much start their own personal tour of the caverns. I was really surprised as how many adults didn't seem to care what the guide was saying as they were leaning up against the formations and touching them with their hands to hold them up while standing. Our tour guide never said a word to them, although he said at the beginning not to touch the rock.

It is a beautiful place to see. The car museum is pretty impressive also even though I'm not into cars much. It's just neat to see what they have there in the museum. Was a nice family visit but we're good again for several years before we go back. The lady who took our money for the tickets was bored and would rather text on her cell phone between breaks in customers rather than give good customer service.

1  Thank Valerie T

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Absolutely gorgeous! I was there with two kids under 10 and they were awestruck. It is a little crowded on weekends but worth it. They have a small historical village and museum, a nice gift shop and a toy museum included in the admission. Truly nature at its most awesome. Not cheap but there is so much to see and do on site that it is truly worth it. The cave tour is a good hour and the other exhibits and museum can easily consume couple of hours.

Skyline Caverns is about 45 minutes away and I would suggest doing both if possible (we did). Skyline is equally awesome in a different way and just as large. Both have lakes. Luray has more dramatic features but Skyline has a vastness and more rugged, open features that are just as impressive. You will experience two very different but equally breathtaking natural wonders.

3  Thank cacmsu
Reviewed 8 May 2014

If you have never been to a cavern this is worth a visit. It is beautiful and only takes an hour to tour.

1  Thank Shelley T
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Our family visited Luray Caverns during a family vacation. This truly is nature's beauty at it's best. This is leaps and bounds better than any caverns/caves I've been too. It's hard to put in words just how magnificent the structures were. It is quite awe inspiring. Our tour guide was very entertaining and knowledgeable.

The line was pretty long, but it was well worth the wait. I STRONGLY recommend you see this at least once in your lifetime!

2  Thank crutt13
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I visited Luray Caverns on a Friday (5/2/14). We were in the area for a long weekend, and chose to go on Friday in hopes that we would avoid some crowds. I could tell by the emptiness of the parking lot and lack of lines that we definitely avoided slews of crowds. However, it was still a little crowded on our tour group. Overall though, it was a great experience and unlike anything I'd ever seen (I'm 27 and loved it). Try going on an off time to avoid the crowds. Pair with a nearby wine tasting for a fun day :)

2  Thank Christine G