“Show Up Early To Get The First Tour”
Review of Luray Caverns

Luray Caverns
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest cave in the Eastern U.S. where visitors can see such bizarre formations like the "Throne Room", "Giant's Hall", and "Fried Eggs".
San Diego, California
255 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 260 helpful votes
“Show Up Early To Get The First Tour”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Luray Caverns has some very beautiful formations. We got there right at opening so we got the benefit of being in a smaller than average tour group. The tour was well done giving some very interesting stories relating to the cave, it's history, discovery, and formations. The downside was that the tour did seem a little rushed. I realize they have lots of people to funnel in and out but I would have liked a little more time to appreciate all the different rock formations. It was still well worth the stop.

Visited April 2014

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wow! Beautiful!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

My first ever trip to a cave and I was amazed by the beauty of Luray Caverns. My whole family loved it just breath taking. We took sweaters cause they said it was cold down there but we didn't need them. Was great that with the price of admission you got 2 museums also. So worth the trip.

2 Thank hmthomas04
NJ
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great Caverns”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We've visited a number of different caverns in the US and Europe and found Luray to be the best we've seen so far. Lot's to see with many very large formations. Also has an organ that generates sound through the formations. Guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable.We had a great time and I'd highly recommend this attraction!!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank NjYankeefan
Whanganui, New Zealand
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We visited these caverns in May. I am somewhat incapacitated with a knee that is due for replacement. In spite of some fairly severe pain, I continued with my wife and son through the whole tour, helped by handrails through most of the tour. I would not have lasted the distance had the whole experience been so very interesting. The history of the discovery of the caverns, and the subsequent exposure to the public is most interesting. I would most heartily commend a visit here to any people in the area of Shenandoah, and think it is worth a visit from afar for those people who may not have seen the wonders of limestone formations underground.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank Simon P
Lakeland, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Luray Caverns”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Nice cavern. Tour is about a hour. It does have stairs at the end. My parents had a hard time going up them. I don't know if there was a lift for them. There is a lot of places to buy junk. They have a café there its pricey 4 bucks for grilled cheese sandwich and 2 bucks for drink. They played the stag mite with the organ. They have a museum there full of cars and personal items. They also have a pan mill there too look for gems. Also has a blacksmith there and old black school and a old church. You don't need a coat in the cavern its not cold at all. The tickets are around 30 a per person.

Visited June 2014