“Beautiful natural wonder”

Luray Caverns
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest cave in the Eastern U.S. where visitors can see such bizarre formations like the "Throne Room", "Giant's Hall", and "Fried Eggs".
Baltimore, Maryland
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Beautiful natural wonder”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My family and I visited the caverns during the 4th of July weekend. The caverns were beautiful but it was so packed you could barely move. People would be walking and then stop to take pictures and people behind you would bump into you. I started walking fast to get out. The caverns were beautiful and I would have enjoyed them more with smaller crowds. I won't go during a holiday. I would recommend Luray Caverns just don't during the holidays.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Good, But so rushed”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were looking forward to this cavern, as the brochure made it look impressive. It is difficult to know where to start. I suppose I should say that this was a very impressive cavern, potentially one of the best. However, having visited many caverns, we both came out feeling rushed, and sure we missed things because of the rushing. We came out thinking we were not welcome, but tolerated. We saw many things, and what we saw was good, but we were unable to enjoy them before we were moved on. I appreciate that the caverns are a business and they want t6o get as many people through as possible, but think about the paying customer. I am sure another five or ten minutes on the tour wouldn't bankrupt the place.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Pictureseer
Box Elder, South Dakota
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“Beautiful Well-Lighted Formations - Large Crowds”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We visited these caverns late on a Saturday afternoon. Fortunately there were no long lines when we arrived, but there were still many people who crowded into the caverns. The groups go through in spurts with a guide at each point of interest to shout some interesting facts. Most of the walkways are brick and smooth. The formations are magnificent and beautifully lighted. We felt that our visit was worth the admission fee and are glad we visited Luray Caverns, but our trip to nearby Endless Caverns the next morning was much more personal, less expensive, had a smaller group, a full-time knowledgeable guide, more challenging walkways and stairs but to my wife and me was just as interesting.

2 Thank Lewis E
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Cool Experience”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was on a bus tour that took us here. I did not know anything about the place beforehand.
It is a very commercial enterprise, and yet, the experience of being in a mile-long cavern was really interesting. There are 67 steps going down so be aware that the steps can be an issue for us old folks. I am tall and had to watch out not to hit my head a few times in the caverns.
Other than that, it was very worthwhile and I would recommend it highly.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Family fun”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Took my two kids here over the weekend. They had a blast. They enjoy going Thur the cave and taken pictures. They also enjoyed looking at the toys cars and going to the other buildings
I just wish the maze and rope ladder thing was included in the price.