“Golf group return”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Golf group return”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

This was my third year in a row staying her while doing a 4 day golf marathon so to speak. We had 14 guys for a golf getaway where we play 36 holes each day on Thurs/Fri/Sat and 18 on Sunday. It is a good thing that you are absolutely worn out each night at bedtime.
The sheets and blankets must have swiped from when they shut down the Bates Motel. There is no such thing as a bath towel, see through and very small. Paint peeling everywhere and spiders in ever corner imaginable. The tv in my room looked like the one I gave to my daughter when she headed off to college in 2000. The staff is nice enough and the ice machine filled our beer coolers each day so that was a plus.
This place suits our needs for a place to lay your head after a long day of drinking and golfing but I would not recommend to family or friends.........even my enemies deserve a decent place to sleep

Room Tip: Flip a coin, all small and in need of repair
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank bluewatergolf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
VERO BEACH
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This motel needs to be torn down.Keep the location as it is the only thing it has going for itself.the ice bucket had no top so i went to the front desk for a new one .I was told by this mature lady that all she could do was give me a paper plate to put on top,It was too late and too many miles to change at that time so I toughed it out.What a dump,i should have slept in the car.I could go on about this place but why bother.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank RICHARD Y

Travellers are raving about these Luray hotels

Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 28 August 2012

The place is very nice, clean & across the street from luray caverns. the prices is very reasonable. the front desk team was very friendly & helpful. over all it is very nice place to spend the night & also is closed to down town.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bob E
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My daughter,grandson and I stayed here for one night. I could not believe the condition of the sheets. They were threadbare and did not fit the bed. The toilet was almost child size. The bathtub had mold growing in it. I was extremely dissappointed. We were not expecting a three star hotel, but we did expect better than this. I would not ever recommend this to a friend.
D. Killmon

Room Tip: Pick another spot.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank donna k
Vienna, Maryland
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We were on a tight budget, and Motel East fit the bill. Can't beat the location, watched the fireworks from the pool, heard the carillon, and easy access to all points. We had picture window view, saw deer in the meadow in the morning when we woke up. Was quiet and clean. The A/C was arctic cold,just the way my husband likes it. The kids loved the little cabins all in a row up the hill. Pool was clean. Shower only, might be an issue if you have little kids, and the beds were pretty hard. Very retro, which was cool for us reliving the crazy road trips of our youth.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Billie W
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My kids wanted to go to the VA caverns for their summer vacay, so of course when I noticed that Luray had it's own onsite lodging, I figured that would be the best idea to make the most of the trip. When I called about the rooms (since you cannot book online) they offered two places to choose from. Luray Caverns Motel East had a second floor balcony room, that I had envisioned to be much more of a view with the description I was provided, so selected that place. The room was not 2 star cheap, so thought it would be comparable to others in this rate for the quality. It was like staying in a motel from the 70s. If you like to sleep in or have a dark room, forget it, as there was tan paint covering textured glass windows on the front where drapes usually would be hung, and both the front door and patio door had brown painted shutters covering the glass parts of the window. At 6 am it was complete daylight inside the room. I could not take a shower the entire stay because the shower spray was a pressure washer jet 1/8 spray that would pierce skin. I had to wash myself and my kids in the tub with a washcloth and washed my kids hair in the sink with a plastic cup. Pathetic to not be able to shower. The doors had regular keys that you had to use two sets of keys because the dead bolt and door knob are not matched sets. TV channels were not a huge selection but we don't go out of town to watch tv anyway, so that wasn't a big deal. It's just nice to have a kids show to keep their attention when I'd like to wash up or sit on the patio with a cup of coffee without being bothered for a few minutes. After seeing some of the advertised rates and amenities of the nearby hotels as driving around this general area, I wish I would have read reviews before I booked here. Thinking that places that do not allow online reservations does limit the feedback of guests to leave comments, which is why I make sure to visit tripadvisor and other travel sources for reviews to keep this from happening again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank missbecca13
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 28 June 2012

When it comes to hotel review, I think it's only fair to review relatively to the neighbor accommodations. I have seen only seen the outside of a couple of other motels around the area. I saw plenty about the same and some worse. It's definitely not a 5-diamond hotel. Yes, it costs $80 a night, but given it's right off Luray Cavern and close to one the of 4 exits of Shenandoah. I think you get about what you pay for.

The location: It's not as close to restaurants and other places. I picked it for Luray Cavern though. It served the purpose. I was happy about it.

Room: It's alright. I could live with it. AC was definitely working. Bedding was alright. I didn't like the cover. I think EVERY motel/hotels should start washing their cover sheets at least on weekly basis. Bed was comfortable enough. If you would like something better. Pay 180 and go to that fancy hotel down the main street (mimslyn). A person shouldn't ask for more than what s/he pays for.

Staffs: Good service, polite.

Room Tip: I like the one on the second floor better. They have their own balconies. A little more privacy and...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Larry H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Hotel Laurance
Hotel Laurance
#2 of 9 in Luray
Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley

Been to Luray Caverns Motel East? Share your experiences!