“Great time on canoe trip!”

Shenandoah River Outfitters, Inc.
Ranked #6 of 12 Outdoor Activities in Luray
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My family rented 3 canoes on a mixed flat and moving water trip on the Shenandoah River. The clerk was very patient in explaining the differences in the trips and in helping our group to select one which which meet out needs. The driver provided instructions while we were driven by bus to the launch point. I appreciated the driver taking the time to demonstrate what to do if the canoe capsized and how to right it. We had a very enjoyable day. The river was clean and clear. We saw turtles,deer and a pair of golden eagles. We took the opportunity to take a break from canoeing and go for a swim. We appreciated the driver's advice when we came to the rough water as my son capsized by was able to use the training to right the canoe. I would suggest additional mile signs to let participants know where they are on the river. I really didn't notice any until we were close to the finish. I would also recommend giving attention to the restroom where the bus picks the participants up to return to their cars.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

We went tubing down the river. $22 tube rental per person and $6 for a cooler tube. The service was friendly and helpful. We gathered at the office and then boarded busses to our different launch points. The river was beautiful and the scenery was fantastic. The water was clear and the rapids were fun. Would definitely do again.

2  Thank Carolina P
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Great Trip. The check in was fast, the bus ride to the drop off point was fun, staff were friendly and happy. The river was clean and clear, the ride was relaxing and the rapids were great fun! would recommend this for sure!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We have always loved being in the Shenandoah valley and seeing the river and decided to trying kayaking on it recently. We were fortunate to get GREAT weather day, not too hot nor cold. The water level was perfect to not get stuck on rocks or anything. Water temp was also very nice for getting in.

The Shenandoah River Outfitters staff were GREAT too! Very hospitable and answered questions we called about prior to getting there, as well as being very informative while checking in. The process to check-in and pay went VERY smooth and is efficient and quick. Just a 10min video of what to do/not to do on the water and you're all set!

The 3 kayaks we got were very well-maintained and we enjoyed our 8 mile journey on the river.

They offer decent, clean facilities at their place to use, clean yourself up, etc. They also sell any accessories you might need (and for a good price), like water shoes.

Take advantage of their mid-week special of $30 per kayak... it's a GREAT deal! Just be there by 11AM to get in on it!

We took a 13 y/o with us and he had no problems with navigating the water. This was his first trip and he did quite well.

We look forward to doing it again - SOON!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Signed up for beginner whitewater trip. Was taken to the flatwater section. After trip, I confirmed that we were on the wrong section. The person at the desk said they did not hear me saw whitewater. OK, fine. But at least refund me $12 difference in trip fee. No, they couldn't do that. Because I didn't sign up for that trip. Bear in mind, they have a sign that says before 11:00am, the trip we were on was only $44. However, since I didn't specifically ask for the special, they couldn't refund the money. It was only $12 and my SA enjoyed the trip, so I walked out a little bewildered.