“Great day tubing!”

Shenandoah River Outfitters, Inc.
Ranked #7 of 12 Outdoor Activities in Luray
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Some friends and I just went tubing with Shenandoah River Outfitters this past weekend. We had a blast! The river is very relaxing and slow so its great to pack a cooler with sandwiches and drinks and float on the river while chatting with friends. A lot of people also rented canoes or kayaks which may be an option next time we visit as they looked a lot of fun too. Reserving with SRO was easy online and once we arrived they had plenty of buses dropping groups off. We had scheduled the 10am drop off but when we arrived we were told they would be doing drop offs every 20 minutes which was really convenient since we arrived just a few minutes before 10am. We were on the river by 11am and didn't make it back to our car until 3:30pm so allot a good amount of time for tubing. Once we got out of the river there were staff members ready to help and a bus ready to take us back to our car.

2  Thank hbrow022
"nice trip"
in 12 reviews
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great stretch of the Shendandoah River for a canoe trip. We did the first section, about 8 miles (to marker 8).

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Friendly and helpful employees. The check-in process is complete mayhem! I had no idea where I was supposed to go or what I was supposed to do. They told me to "get a life jacket" so I did. After that, I saw a group of people filling out forms at a table. I saw they were releases so I grabbed one and signed. Nobody told me to do that. The man at the table with the releases asked if I was going tubing and told me I had the wrong life jacket on. Then, there were multiple busses in the lot with nobody explaining which one goes where. I kept having to flag someone down and ask what to do next and where to go. The employees were all helpful but it was an unnecessarily stressful start to a relaxing day on the river. Perhaps a few signs or a better explanation of the process when you initially check in would make things easier for everyone. I enjoyed my time on the river. There were multiple rope swings along the way and everyone seemed to be enjoying them. There are several areas of rapids that you will ride through (all mild except one). I saw a heron, an eagle and many fish. The water was clean and clear and just the right temperature. All in all, an enjoyable day on the river!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was our third time at SRO. The first two times were good experiences. This time not so much. We were with a party of six and were going tubing. We picked out our tubes, packed up the bus and went to the drop off sight with another party of two. The SRO employee dropped us off and unloaded the tubes. We all placed our tubes aside and began making our way down to the river. As we prepped our cooler tube, we heard the bus leave. As we went to get in the water, we realized the driver had taken one of our parties tubes, leaving one of stranded with out a tube. We could not believe the driver took off without checking to see all was well, especially since this was the last drop off! Luckily, One of the other tubers had a phone and we called SRO to get the bus back. They said they would send someone ASAP, which meant a half an hour later.
Finally underway and there hours later, we made it to pick up, 35 minutes before the last 5pm pick up. At. 5:10, the bus driver comes by only to tell us he needed to turn around. Another 15 minutes later and he comes back. We help him load up, to make things faster. Our driver, then headed down to the water , apparently to wait to see if others were still coming down the river. We waited forever for him to retrieve two other folks.
SRO was pretty short on delivering a pleasant experience.

2  Thank Lynn A
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 June 2014

After Class V white-water rafting in West Virginia, the Shenandoah River is a wonderfully relaxing change of pace. We did a 3-mile tubing trip that offered a few riffles and some fun ledges for a bit of excitement. It was a very pleasant time, and the folks at Shenandoah River Outfitters were very helpful and easy to work with. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and would recommend to others. We almost did a canoe fishing trip later in the week and may try that one next time.