“Old Hotel Charm”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Luray
Luray Caverns Motel West
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Luray
“Old Hotel Charm”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The location was great for biking in the GW National Forest to Camp Roosevelt and back, and the rooms were reminiscent of yesteryear. While some might fault the amenities as not being up to that of chain hotels in urban areas, the property had a nice pool, kitchen, sunroom/dining area, a quiet room and nice views of the mountains.

Since our Pomeranian is well behaved, they allowed us to bring our dog, wihich was great.

We really enjoyed our stay, and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The suite in the middle used to be the office and manager's residence. It did not cost that much...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BruceMoosedotCom

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I'll make my review simple:

Pros: very close to the Caverns, clean, good price, quiet and nice views of the mountains, close to Walmart if you needed something like I did, as my son got a little sick (not from the motel, ha ha), WiFi worked ok, beds comfortable, employees were nice.

Cons: the pool at the West location was dirty, no extras (like a fridge or microwave), a little old-fashioned but that maybe ok for you, the WiFi did go out for a short time, the room smelled a little musty and the West location is not near the office, meaning you have to drive to get to the check-in desk.

I would probably go back. If you're looking for just a basic, inexpensive room to sleep, chill out, watch TV, and shower, this is for you.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Janice W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I see the mixed reviews of this place and probably fall somewhere in the middle. This hotel is definitely dated and/or 'Vintage' if you like. If you're looking for posh, plush and spotless, keep driving, but if you're looking for a place with a beautiful view of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is extremely close to the Caverns, this might be your bag. Cindy, from the front office, is a sweetheart and is full of suggestions for eateries around the area. She also looked out for us with regards to making sure we didn't shack up next to a large group of firefighters. It was really more her recommendation, as I can't imagine they'd make a ruckus and if anything I'd feel safer if a fire broke out, but... whatever. That aside, there is free wifi...I didn't seem to have a problem with it as other people apparently have, but...maybe it had something to do with proximity. The one notable issue I did have with the place which made this feel a bit more National Lampoons Vacation was the shower head. I'm unsure if this is just how they used to be or what, but the nozzleheadesque thing that sprayed a rough stream of water, made it feel a bit more like what I'd imagine water torture to be like. I had to throw a wash cloth over the top of it to lessen the blow. I can laugh about it now, but I think i may have sustained bruises.

If and when we make it back that way, we might like to try Motel East. Same hotel group, different feel...old colonial housing verses brick and mortar apparently.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed 27 May 2012

If you want a 5-star, drive to DC. This place is a step back into time. Small rooms, tile bath, antique furniture and small beds. However, it is updated beautifully, super clean and you cannot beat the views. My husband and I have traveled the world, Marriott Skymiles, Delta Skymiles, Hilton.. and so on. This was a nice change of pace. We will always stay at Luray Caverns Motel West when visiting the area.

Room Tip: Ask for Rm 114 in West Motel. Super quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank PKM99
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Rooms were old, outdated, smelled musty. 1st room I checked into air conditioner was broken, they moved us to another room....2nd room had spiderwebs with spiders in them and hairs on bathroom sink and bed sheets! Gross! And free wifi? It was out of order this night! Location great and staff friendly but that's it! Best western had a room for $10 more! Wish we had been there!!!

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Meiljack

Travellers are raving about these Luray hotels

Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This is a wonderful place to kick back. The motel is quite old but well maintained and "patched" in a very quaint way. The rooms and grounds were very clean, the staff very helpful and courteous. The view was wonderful and the picnic tables and available charcoal grill an added nice touch. We enjoyed the pool every day and the proximity to all the cavern attractions and downtown Luray made it a wonderful experience all together. Would love to come back and take advantage of one of the stand alone cabins next time.

Room Tip: Many room options to choose from including stand alone cabins
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank zidekfan
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 27 February 2011

After going on this site I was very skeptical about staying here. The room was already booked and no research was done on it before hand so I just winged it. I am glad I just went anyway. The rooms were very clean. The bathroom, very clean. The beds clean and comfortable. I def will go back here. The view was breath taking and it was very quiet. We couldn't hear the neighbors, and my son got to see things that we would have never seen had we listened to the negative reviews I had read beforehand. Please go and make your own opinion before listening to others. You will not regret the stay and we are even planning to go in the summer.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Happytravler5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Hotel Laurance
Hotel Laurance
#3 of 9 in Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock

Been to Luray Caverns Motel West? Share your experiences!